Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance WH/Mile after 19" wheel swap...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a 2020 Model S Performance with 21" wheels and decided to swap to an aftermarket 19" wheel and a square setup, I'm trying to figure out how the wh/mile works and if I'm doing better than before.

Seems like my average in a few drives is in the low 300's, I'm able to get the number below sometimes also, I realize a lot of things factor in, just trying to gauge what's a good number that is realistic to shoot for? Also does the drive mode matter, will cruising in Ludacris mode be the same as cruising in Chill or Sport?

Not sure on efficiency for that car. Performance cost some miles regardless of tires on some models. There is not a huge difference between Raven and Refresh efficiency wise (non P)

EPA on Refresh is about 240wh/mi I’m at around 250-260 wh/mi life time if I substract out my towing. On Summer 19” tires.

The tire you choose matters more than the rim size.

What tire did you get.

Chill vs Sport technically should not make a difference. But it does help train your foot. On some cars higher performance modes will cost energy for battery heating.

300 wh/mi isn’t terrible.

The energy chart (if you have it) shows the EPA reference line. They never label it but you can extrapolate where it is.

You can calculate the EPA number based on battery size, rim size and factory range of the original specs.

Take a look at the European tire label for the specific tire you got. They show rolling resistance.

I have found that when I’m on my Michelin Pilot sport 4 all seasons, my wh/mile is 20% higher than when I’m on the Pirelli PZ4 elect tires. I junked the oem Tesla spec Pirelli tires and switched to the Mercedes AMG spec Pirellis for a better handling bf ride too

All other things being equal, the rolling resistance of the tires is probably as big a efficiency variable as aero wheels.

Reactions: Sam1
Take a look at the European tire label for the specific tire you got. They show rolling resistance.

I have found that when I’m on my Michelin Pilot sport 4 all seasons, my wh/mile is 20% higher than when I’m on the Pirelli PZ4 elect tires. I junked the oem Tesla spec Pirelli tires and switched to the Mercedes AMG spec Pirellis for a better handling bf ride too

All other things being equal, the rolling resistance of the tires is probably as big an efficiency variable as aero wheels.
I think rolling resistance is probably more significant than Aero wheels. I had 18” Aero OEM tires on my 3. Switched to 19” OEM wheels with a more efficient tire. I came out even. And the original tires were on the low rolling resistance to begin with. Just the new tires were better enough to cover for the Aero covers.

I have those same exact two sets of tires. Pilot Sport 4 AS and OEM PZ4. Along with Pirelli Winter.

What Pirelli AMG spec tire did you get? How efficient relative to PZ4? I find the PZ4 handle fine and efficiency good. But they won’t last long.

I think rolling resistance is probably more significant than Aero wheels. I had 18” Aero OEM tires on my 3. Switched to 19” OEM wheels with a more efficient tire. I came out even. And the original tires were on the low rolling resistance to begin with. Just the new tires were better enough to cover for the Aero covers.

I have those same exact two sets of tires. Pilot Sport 4 AS and OEM PZ4. Along with Pirelli Winter.

What Pirelli AMG spec tire did you get? How efficient relative to PZ4? I find the PZ4 handle fine and efficiency good. But they won’t last long.
I run 20” forged wheels (signature sv104 have the PS4AS and Martian wheels MW05 have the pirellis) on my Plaid.
The Mercedes EQE AMG spec ones are 4159300 and 4159600 (both Pirelli part numbers). They are handling amazingly and I don’t care about treadwear :)

I’m seeing the pirellis being just under 300wh/mile and the PS4AS being around 330wh/mile range - similar driving behavior

I run 20” forged wheels (signature sv104 have the PS4AS and Martian wheels MW05 have the pirellis) on my Plaid.
The Mercedes EQE AMG spec ones are 4159300 and 4159600 (both Pirelli part numbers). They are handling amazingly and I don’t care about treadwear :)

I’m seeing the pirellis being just under 300wh/mile and the PS4AS being around 330wh/mile range - similar driving behavior
I find it hard to believe there would be that much difference in handling between the Tesla Spec PZ4 Summer tire and the AMG spec one.

• Funny
Reactions: MFrunkerOG
I find it hard to believe there would be that much difference in handling between the Tesla Spec PZ4 Summer tire and the AMG spec one.
Well, it’s not hard to believe when you experience it firsthand!

Tire homologations between auto and tire manufacturers are quite vast. I think the customization is through the following variables
1. Compound choice per tread area
2. Sidewall stiffness
3. Tread variations on width and design

Some evidence can be found in 1-3 lb weight disparities / up to 1/4” tread width differences between identical size tires with different oem homologations.

I think Tesla is laser focused on range and picks their variables accordingly. AMG is likely more focused on performance and they pick their own variables.

This could be considered speculation but I do have a data point as evidence of the oem philosophy difference between Tesla and AMG - Tesla suspension is designed for strength, cost but has no comparable performance tuning capabilities compared to very widely adjustable suspensions on AMG cars (not regular Mercedes). That indicates the performance is a compromise area for Tesla.

Now, if it’s still hard to believe, I recommend getting a set for yourself

Last edited: