Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S: Overwhelmingly male and over 45 years old/Model 3 Don't Die

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been done already but if you own a Model S: how old are you and male or female?
Edmunds is calling us S owners old :)

In Bloomberg's report : What happens when you die waiting for a Tesla? This is their quote:

Owners of Tesla's pricer Model S sedans have tended to be overwhelmingly male and over the age of 45, according to data from Edmunds.com.

Of course this hits me square in the nogg'in. I am a 52 year old male and ordered an S, waiting on delivery.
Some of this IMHO is due to making more money in our early 50's. In my case financially, I have a good job (26 years on) my wife has a good job (I don't squander savings) the kids are older, no longer feel the need for an SUV which has 94k mi. ( over $2000 in repairs each year for the last 3 years) :( I have not had a car pymnt. in 4 years, and my wife always gets the new car every 3 years. Now it's my turn :) The one wrench in all this is college tuition. Money has been saved but it's not nearly enough to cover costs. Those school loans will come to pass some day soon but we'll figure it out. I just hope I live to see the Model 3 :)

www.bloomberg.com/news/.../what-happens-when-you-die-waiting-f...

Reactions: Filter
While the age is to be expected given the cost, I find the overwhelmingly male aspect surprising. I see a pretty even split in this area, and the no pressure sales and easy maintenance aspects inherent in Tesla's business model are things sometimes employed by other automakers to appeal to females. The car has a pretty feminine look too.

True, I was a little surprised at that aspect as well. Add to it all the Tesla rep.'s I have spoken to have all been under 30 years old. But, i'm not surprised at the age angle. It is a luxury car, albeit with plenty of storage space but I don't see it as a family car. Though I have seen on this forum plenty of younger families with the S so..............

I just kept hoping a good EV would come along before I cashed. I'm 72 and have lymphoma, so my Tesla is my gift to me and my wifey. We keep saying there will be another: I'm on #2 at present.
When I was younger, we had to push it to make it. Owned Toyotas, mostly, did my own repairs, worked my tail off, moved up a bit. Education helped. Both of us worked. Kids grew up.
My first EV was the RAV4EV. I had never spent so much on a car! But the being old thing is just the timing of the universe.

I'm just glad Tesla got here in time for me, and I wonder what will happen in the next 20 years for some of the rest of you!

I am female and under 40 (barely), so I won't fit the trend when I finally pull the trigger on a CPO S. I am an aerospace engineer though, so I am not a typical representative of my gender.

I wonder if it's the technology (and performance) aspect that makes the car appeal more to men than women. If you don't care about the technology, there are lots of options in the price range that are more luxurious, etc. And it might possibly be because it isn't an SUV. I know quite a few women who prefer taller vehicles so they can see better on the road. My mother just bought a Buick SUV for that very reason vs a sedan.

I wonder what the X demographics look like.

Not male and definitely an immigrant to technology rather than a native. This car makes technology fun. Right now driving an ICE loaner while the Tesla is being serviced, and hate every minute of it.
Kids grown: check. College costs paid off: check. Nest egg secure: check. Working long hours: check. Gift to myself for working those long hours....check.

Overwhelming car payments: check. Six kids at home (two away): check. No college or retirement money: check.

I am 49, male and have owned a used 2014 Tesla Model S 85 for about four months. I have dreamed about owning this vehicle since they were first announced. I have filled six seats and taken a trip from Anaheim, California to Phoenix, Arizona. I am planning a trip to Washington State early in August and all seven seats will be filled. We will be travelling with two blue kayaks attached to the roof rack.

Car payments
Tesla: $1,200
2016 Honda Pilot Touring AWD: $900
2016 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring AWD: $700
2016 Ford Fusion Energi SE: $385
2013 Nissan Leaf SV: $287
2013 Nissan Leaf SL: $0 (my only paid off vehicle)

Brent

I wonder what the demographic is for just about every $100K car. Even Ferrari drivers tend to be over 45. The model 3 will bring in a younger demographic and a $20K car would bring in an even younger one. As for male vs. email I suspect the Model S is much more gender neutral than a Ferrari. I can see the X being excellent for a stay at home mom carting around a couple of small kids and their friends.

Reactions: Filter and Bridor