Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's looking more and more like I won't be getting a Sig. It was $80k at one point, "fully loaded". I wonder where I end up in the sequence if I end up dropping out of Sig back to general production? I was P2840.

Well it may be about $80k after the federal tax credit. Since a lot of states don't charge sales tax on EV purchases, you'd also benefit from a larger total dollar savings (or tax avoidance) on the higher priced Signature.

Well it may be about $80k after the federal tax credit. Since a lot of states don't charge sales tax on EV purchases, you'd also benefit from a larger total dollar savings (or tax avoidance) on the higher priced Signature.
Sadly, my state doesn't have a sales tax so that benefit doesn't apply to me. Or, well, it's wonderful not having a sales tax, not a sad thing. I just mean that that part of the financial equation of buying an EV doesn't change for me.

A worthwhile consideration. Let's talk again once the options and prices (both Sig and normal) get published.

Though, if your wife ok's the upgrade, you'll probably be getting a Sig reservation of your own :).

Yeah, just wouldn't mind having a lower number if the sigs have the plaque

WAF - Wife-Acceptance-Factor ?

haha, right now it's hovering around 65-70%. Since we rode in the prototype in NY, she couldn't understand why the Betas we rode in weren't further along 3 years later (didn't help we got in an engineering build)

Sadly, my state doesn't have a sales tax so that benefit doesn't apply to me. Or, well, it's wonderful not having a sales tax, not a sad thing. I just mean that that part of the financial equation of buying an EV doesn't change for me.

Hmm, I should check that for my state. Would help in the WAF :)

Since we rode in the prototype in NY, she couldn't understand why the Betas we rode in weren't further along 3 years later (didn't help we got in an engineering build)...
You might try mentioning that the original prototype (you saw in New York) was using a production car chassis.
The Betas in Fremont use a Tesla designed "built from the ground up" Chassis.
Even if the ride/handling seemed identical it says a lot that Tesla designed their own chassis that is comparable to the best production chassis they could find for their "mule"/"concept car".
(Actually the Tesla chassis probably will end up being superior, but I wanted to make the point that being perceived as "just as good as before" isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

Also it really says a lot that they have been able switch to doing so much "in house" in their new factory.
Their primary goal is probably to live up to the promises set when they showed the concept car. I wouldn't be expecting them to go leaps and bound ahead of that, but rather be able to find a way to make something at least comparable but in reliable, profitable mass production.

Last edited:
You might try mentioning that the original prototype (you saw in New York) was using a production car chassis.
The Betas in Fremont use a Tesla designed "built from the ground up" Chassis.
Even if the ride/handling seemed identical it says a lot that Tesla designed their own chassis that is comparable to the best production chassis they could find for their "mule"/"concept car".
(Actually the Tesla chassis probably will end up being superior, but I wanted to make the point that being perceived as "just as good as before" isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

Also it really says a lot that they have been able switch to doing so much "in house" in their new factory.
Their primary goal is probably to live up to the promises set when they showed the concept car. I wouldn't be expecting them to go leaps and bound ahead of that, but rather be able to find a way to make something at least comparable but in reliable, profitable mass production.

Not sure if you're married TEG, but... yeah, no dice. You and I know what's involved, she's just someone who saw a nice car and is wondering what's going on with it. I already tried to discuss with her why it would take years to build a car: "it seemed close to ready in 2009, what's taking so long?". I asked her the last time she saw a car go from concept/prototype at an auto show to reality in under a year.

Do, aside from the Sig upgrade, I'll just keep quiet on Tesla until there's more tangible eye candy for her.

Oh, I'm S354 BTW.

Under 500, which was my hope :) I don't want to push you out the slot haha, but if you do decide to step down, I'll do the swap. If you stick with a 300 mile pack you'll be not too far behind sigs. I saw some people at the event with numbers in the thousands. Ouch.

Not sure if you're married TEG, but...

21 years of collaborative car picking. The basic process is:
I give suggestions when she needs a new one.
When I need (er., want) I try to pick something and find out if it gets vetoed or not.
There is a bit of "yours" or "mine" and "your turn" or "my turn", and not so much lengthy debate about a shared vehicle.

Under 500, which was my hope :) I don't want to push you out the slot haha, but if you do decide to step down, I'll do the swap. If you stick with a 300 mile pack you'll be not too far behind sigs. I saw some people at the event with numbers in the thousands. Ouch.
It all depends on what the options and pricing look like. I don't want the rear seats, so can I get rid of them in the Sig? I don't care about being a mobile hotspot, so what's the cost there? Is the sunroof optional on the Sig? It's pretty, but not $5k pretty for me. Does the Sig give an overall discount in some way on optional packs? If the Sig is just a plaque and an earlier spot in line (and a red color I don't want), that's not worth anything to me. In fact, I'll be a bit annoyed if that's all it is as I've got an extra $35k tied up I could have put into a 18 month CD and at least made some money on it.

It all depends on what the options and pricing look like. I don't want the rear seats, so can I get rid of them in the Sig? I don't care about being a mobile hotspot, so what's the cost there? Is the sunroof optional on the Sig? It's pretty, but not $5k pretty for me. Does the Sig give an overall discount in some way on optional packs? If the Sig is just a plaque and an earlier spot in line (and a red color I don't want), that's not worth anything to me. In fact, I'll be a bit annoyed if that's all it is as I've got an extra $35k tied up I could have put into a 18 month CD and at least made some money on it.

I'm pretty positive the rear facing seats will be option for the sigs. The sunroof, I'm not sure about - could go either way. Like you, I'm hoping the added options for the sigs (leather, premium color, etc.) will be discounted. For me, the performance package was too important to take the chance that it might only be optioned for the sigs the first time around. 18 month CDs aren't paying *that* much (~630 less taxes). Not a bad premium to pay for an early car.

Like you, I'm hoping the added options for the sigs (leather, premium color, etc.) will be discounted.
My ideal set of options would be bumped interior, Nav/GPS (presumably standard), 300 battery, 21" rims, and sport upgrade for a bonus depending on price.

I'm more price sensitive than most perhaps on options. I came into a small (25k) inheritance last year and dumped that into the Sig reservation which pretty much emptied my savings. I wouldn't have even considered the Sig otherwise. Consequently, if the car is say, 90k instead of 80k, that's a 25% increase in what I have to come up with at purchase (another $50k instead of $40k), which is a reason to rethink things. Buying the Model S is already in my "I must be insane" price category, much less splurging on options, as my most expensive car in the past was $28k.

I'm with you ck. Until this year, my most expensive car was a Fiero back in '85 for $15,000. After that debacle, it's been $3k here and $5k there for used cars. And now in two months I've dropped $25k on a used SLK55 and $40k on the sig. Wiped my non-retirement savings, but fortunately, I have no mortgage or debt. Now I just need to save up the other $50k for the sig delivery. I'll need money for the clear bra too. No way am I letting that beautifully red paint get chipped on the freeway!

If the Sig is just a plaque and an earlier spot in line (and a red color I don't want), that's not worth anything to me. In fact, I'll be a bit annoyed if that's all it is as I've got an extra $35k tied up I could have put into a 18 month CD and at least made some money on it.

Without releasing any names, I asked that very same question to someone I know at TM.

(Via Email)
Question:
kgb said:
As a current Roadster owner, do I get a $10,000 price break? Also, just to be clear, if I signed up for a signature, but did not choose one of the unique interior/exterior options, the only difference would be my place in line and some "signature" plaque?
Answer:
Anonymous TM employee said:
The Signature discount for Roadster owners was discontinued in the Fall of 2010. You are correct about your second statement.

After the big Oct 1 announcement, I started a dialogue with TM employees by email. He/They have been very helpful. I suggest that you others not hesitate to use that valuable resource.

Last edited:
That's really disappointing. Sig customers put a big chunk of money into a no-profit position that's completely unprotected if the company tanks and the reward for these customers is a plaque? At this particular point in time, I can see wanting to jump the list as the list is long, but my P2840 position was going to get a 2012 delivery anyway, so the Sig reservation is pretty lame for me.

21 years of collaborative car picking. The basic process is:
I give suggestions when she needs a new one.
When I need (er., want) I try to pick something and find out if it gets vetoed or not.
There is a bit of "yours" or "mine" and "your turn" or "my turn", and not so much lengthy debate about a shared vehicle.

Sounds like a process that works. I may have to adopt that, though I don't want to share the garage with a car I don't like :)

I'll need money for the clear bra too. No way am I letting that beautifully red paint get chipped on the freeway!

Funny, I was thinking about that the other day. One of the first things I'm doing is a clearbra -- been an a great investment for me in the past.

Without releasing any names, I asked that very same question to someone I know at TM.

That's actually pretty disappointing. If there's no discount or anything else along those lines for people who have had money tied up for years, that would be a huge slap in the face that a pre-party might not be enough to counter.

In the end though, I guess it doesn't cost you MORE than you would have spent should you have gone with the options sooo...

George B. was talking to a number of us at Santana row yesterday and I'm pretty sure I heard there'd be other stuff to make it unique.

I also heard him confirm with one of the employees there that there are three upgradeable options for the Sig. Unfortunately I can only remember one, and that's the panoramic moon roof.

Yeah, I would have signed up for all the options anyway, so I'm not that disappointed about that. Something less than 1,000 Tesla Model S's in the whole country will be candy apple red and I'll have one of 'em! :cool:

It looks like the performance package will be $10k and the sun roof will be an optional add-on. So if the Sig is $80k (without sun roof), then the maxed out package should be somewhere between $90k and $100k.

George B. was talking to a number of us at Santana row yesterday and I'm pretty sure I heard there'd be other stuff to make it unique.

I also heard him confirm with one of the employees there that there are three upgradeable options for the Sig. Unfortunately I can only remember one, and that's the panoramic moon roof.

I find it hard to believe they won't make the roof available to everyone? Actually, can't you select it in the designer now? Unless you mean it will be a free upgrade.

(Reminder: this thread was specifically about the Sport option. We seemed to have morphed into a more general discussion of pricing and options...)

Yeah, may have to split it