Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S OEM headlight installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mankirk

Supporting Member
Jun 19, 2017
Maryland
I have a 2013 Model S that needs new headlights due to seal ruptures in the case that allow moisture to seep in. I have one that regularly turns off while in use and last night they both went out as I was driving home after dark - only the fog lamps got me through. This morning they are working again, but...

I'm fine with staying with the HID models, but not fine with the $3,200 the Rockville Service Center just quoted me to replace them. Anyone know of a third party in Maryland or the greater Washington, D.C. area that can replace the headlights for less?

Has anyone bought OEM or previously-owned units and done this themselves?

• Funny
Reactions: Romand
I have a 2013 Model S that needs new headlights due to seal ruptures in the case that allow moisture to seep in. I have one that regularly turns off while in use and last night they both went out as I was driving home after dark - only the fog lamps got me through. This morning they are working again, but...

I'm fine with staying with the HID models, but not fine with the $3,200 the Rockville Service Center just quoted me to replace them. Anyone know of a third party in Maryland or the greater Washington, D.C. area that can replace the headlights for less?

Has anyone bought OEM or previously-owned units and done this themselves?
Go to eBay u can get them both for less then 450.

Path of least resistance first. Replace the bulbs. Moisture in the housing wouldn’t affect the bulbs as they are sealed/protected by the rubber dust caps. You should still get the seal issue taken care of, but getting new bulbs first is your best bet. Intermittent issues point to heat leading to the car not seeing the proper voltage, thereby turning one off. That’s why the post above said to turn the lights off and then back on again and the bulbs will re-ignite.