Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Headlight repair DIY. Where to get parts in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The left headlight on my 2014 Model S has started to play up. It goes out a couple of minutes after starting the car. I booked it in for service but Tesla have quoted $1700, presumably to just replace the entire headlight assembly.

From my reading it sounds like this should be a pretty simple repair and most likely requires just replacement of the HID bulb. Apparently it can sometimes be the ballast, but my problem sounds most consistent with a bulb problem. It looks well within my abilities to do this myself from watching a few youtube videos, I just need to get the correct bulb but am not sure what the best source for this would be in Australia.

I've found this online - D3S Xenon 35W HID Kit (Pair)

Would that do the job? Would it match the original, or require me to do both sides. Does anyone have any insights or experience they can share?

I bought the D8S globes for my 2014 Model S from Tesla and they were $175 each. I fitted them myself, but Tesla will fit them for you. I was quoted similar or higher price from other sources.
The reason Australian Model S use a different globe is because they had to be de-rated from 50W to 25W to pass ADRs.
The D8S is the 25W version of the 50W D3S but the mounting surface of the globe is keyed to prevent you from fitting a D3S.
Ask me how I know!?
Most likely Tesla are quoting you for a headlight replacement assuming worst case scenario, but the price will lower when they find the new globe fixes the problem.
Get both done at the same time, my RH globe went before Xmas and the LH about 2 weeks ago.
P.s. Anyone want to by a pair of D3S globes?🤷🏻‍♂️
P.P.S Unless you are a big DIY lover get Tesla to replace them, you need to remove the front wheel and the front inner wing liner to get to the back of the headlight.

Reactions: Blue heaven
I had a Model S headlight assembly replaced under warranty, because the LED daytime running lights failed. Was told by service anecdotally that these LED strips (or the board that drives them) are usually the part that fails first, requiring swapping the whole unit. But since my car is now well out of warranty, I'm always interested in picking up DIY tips :)

You could just install the refresh LED headlights (“plug and play” using a switch box Bacila) from that are significantly better than the 25W HID. I found used headlamps with intact mounts via eBay/UK.

Or upgrade the ballast and go to 35W HID and see what you‘be been missing! There are options to also improve the lens if you are trying to get the most out of them.

I think the 25’s were a safety hazard especially driving on country roads.

Now that it's Monday and I've been able to hear back from Tesla on the app, they have revised the estimate to $240 parts and labour. Not worth the DIY effort to avoid that price, so as long as there are no surprises I think my brief exploration into the world of headlight replacement is over.

In a similar boat; not in AUS but believe just my bulbs need replacing yet Tesla quoted the whole headlight assembly. Curious to know if replacing the bulbs alone fixed the situation for you?

In a similar boat; not in AUS but believe just my bulbs need replacing yet Tesla quoted the whole headlight assembly. Curious to know if replacing the bulbs alone fixed the situation for you?
It depends on the age of your Model S. The nosecone early versions can just have their globes replaced, later LED versions are all one piece and replaced as a unit.
When you create a service job in the app, Tesla is in the habit of quoting for a complete headlight replacement, but they lower the price when and if they can fix the problem with globes only.

• Informative
Reactions: tesluv108
It depends on the age of your Model S. The nosecone early versions can just have their globes replaced, later LED versions are all one piece and replaced as a unit.
When you create a service job in the app, Tesla is in the habit of quoting for a complete headlight replacement, but they lower the price when and if they can fix the problem with globes only.

I have a 2014 like the OP. Tesla did quote the whole assembly so I’m curious if the bulb replacement alone worked for him.

I’ve also heard the second gen assemblies for cars of my vintage are less reliable than 1st gen. The LED day running lights have not failed so I’m hopeful I’ll only need to replace the bulb.

I have a 2014 like the OP. Tesla did quote the whole assembly so I’m curious if the bulb replacement alone worked for him.

I’ve also heard the second gen assemblies for cars of my vintage are less reliable than 1st gen. The LED day running lights have not failed so I’m hopeful I’ll only need to replace the bulb.
You should be fine with new globes. I own a 2014 Model S too and Tesla replaced the globes and resolved the problem. See my longer post up thread, you at least won’t have to deal with the specific modification made to Australian Model S.

Reactions: RAW84