Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S & Nissan Leaf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all for the feedback. Based upon what I read here and others from Googling.....

I'll have the electrician install two NEMA 14-50, each on their own 50 amp switch. One on each end of the garage. I'll use the UMC for the Tesla. When my wife decide to get her EV, we can use the other NEMA 14-50 and get either the Clipper Creek or AVeronviroment.

I might however, shortly decide to get the Clipper Creek and use it on the NEMA 14-50 to charge the Tesla (knowing it will be slower than UMC) and just keep the UMC in the car w/o having to buy another UMC as a spare. Might be a more cheaper approach.

I am debating on the Nissan Leaf now or wait two years where we have bucket load of options...

Now - Nissan Leaf can do 120 miles range (EPA rating).

In two years
Chevy Bolt
Nissan Leaf
Tesla Model 3

All can 180 or more miles range EPA rating. At least that is what being promised. Might worth the wait, but since the electrician is out here to pull permit, might as well do the work all at once.

I would at least wait for the 2016 Nissan LEAF, which will offer a 30 kWh battery (this isn't the 200 mile version yet).

As for your charging station, keep in mind you could also go the ClipperCreek CS-100 route, so you can still charge your Model S at 80A, while also charging any other electric vehicles you might own in the future.

Last edited:
I have a 14-50 plug in the garage and currently have a Model S and a BMW i3 (Previously I had a 2012 Leaf). I went with this solution: JESLAâ„¢ is THE 40 amp J1772 portable charging solution!

I just use the J1772 adapter to plug it into my Model S. It's a bit pricey, but it works great! Also portable so if I travel with the i3, I can charge up at RV parks or other places that have 30 to 50 amp power.

We've had 2 EVs since 2012. We just play musical charger and it works great. Total commute for each car is about 50 miles so that is within range of a trickle charger to do in a night.

Had a 2011 LEAF, 2012 Volt, 2013 LEAF, RAV4 EV, and Model S. We kinda have an EV addiction... Volt and LEAF were leases though.

Might worth the wait, but since the electrician is out here to pull permit, might as well do the work all at once.

Good call on doing everything under one permit / one inspection.

If you are considering a 2nd EV, the used Volt or Leaf is a huge bargain and would probably serve well for 3 years while waiting for the next generation 200 mile EVs, without taking a huge depreciation hit.