Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S HUD Screen Issue: White/Faded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an issue with my Model S HUD screen today where I pushed on the break to put into drive and got a traction control error first (had this before) but also the HUD screen stayed black. Had to leave and drive to my destination which was fine with the black HUD screen. When I got to my destination, did a soft reset (hold scroll wheels only until reset) and when the screens came back on the HUD was completely white with no graphics. Drove home fine. Got home and did a full reset (scroll wheels and brake until screens come back on). Now HUD screen is faded white with black around the edges. Can kinda make out the graphic display but barely.

Anyone have this before or have an idea how to reset it back to normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20231218_160845.jpg
    IMG_20231218_160845.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
I apologize for the late reply... got locked out of some accounts (including this one).
@ChooseFreedom Right, the instrument cluster... its a 2016.5 Model S (refresh).... MCU 1, main center screen working....

To update... the next day the screen started to come back... about 50%, 2 days later 75%... by the third day completely recovered.... Amazing!... never seen that before with a screen... looked to be blown by some kinda surge... must have a good surge protection and monitoring built in...

Anyways, updated Tesla as I had already made the service appointment... they thought it could be a loose power connection somewhere and wanted to check it out anyways... Chief Tech couldn't find anything wrong, couldn't reproduce, checked connections and everything appeared fine... no charge... didn't happen again..

I feel like, the not finding anything is worse.... cause it could happen again... that being said, I could not engage the Traction control again by pushing extra hard on the break like I could before.... almost feels like they did something and aren't telling me or it was some software bug which a service reset remedied....

Note: my vehicle had been waiting for a memory upgrade recall for a year now... the memory was too low in this model causing it to freeze or hang or reset... only happened to me twice over two years... but anyways, they upgraded the memory which reset my computer... unfortunately my trip odometer was reset which I was keeping as an overall metric of my driving considering I bought it used and it already had 48,000 kms on it.... lost that... but this is what makes me feel it was a minor bug or memory issue.... cause everything seems to be fine now.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Upvote 0