Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FlasherZ can correct me, but I believe that's in the NEC. You want a larger ground wire so there is no possibility of it melting and disabling the ground, also it provides an easier path for the electrons to travel making for a better ground. My electrician explained a couple of days ago that the breaker panel ground wire size has been increased.

NEC section 250 - probably the largest in the book - deals with grounding. Table 250.122, "Minimum Size Equipment Grounding Conductors for Grounding Raceway and Equipment", calls for a minimum 8 AWG copper / 6 AWG aluminum ground for circuits and equipment attached to a 100A breaker. 250.4(A)(5) gives manufacturers the ability to call for a greater size if required to guarantee an effective ground-fault path. The NEC also requires you to follow manufacturers' instructions, so in this case you must install 4 AWG. In my opinion, it's probably overkill, but you have to follow their instructions.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the explanation. In this case (larger ground is better), is there any reason why I should not use 3awg for ground (rather than using 4awg)? The reason is that the 3 awg cost 0.75/ft but the 4 awg cost $1.25/ft. I have a really long run from the breaker box to where I want to put the HPWC.

The only reason you may not be able to use it is if the ground terminal is not rated for size #3 wire (if you have difficulty fitting a #3 into the terminal). It's marginally -- VERY marginally -- safer than using #4, but as mentioned above, #8 should work to create a proper ground fault path.

The HPWC manual does not state that the ground must be a #4 wire. It says that the "[g]round wiring can be a maximum of 4 AWG" (see page 4 of the manual). It then continues that "f your ground wiring does not fit into the bus, use a wire nut or other suitable connection method", and "se conductors that are sized according to local electrical codes". I believe the reference to 4 AWG wire pertains to the largest size wire that will fit into the ground bus on the HWPC. See STEP 5 - CONNECT WIRING on page 10 of the manual.

FlasherZ: Thank you so much for your valuable advices. I appreciate it. One more question: Is there a color code for the two legs of 3 awg power THHN and the 1 leg of 8 Awg ground THHN? By the way, I plan to get all my wires from 600 Volt THHN

Swegman: You are correct. I re-read the instruction again and #4awg wire is not a mandatory requirement for ground. Thank you so much for pointing it out.

I scanned the HPWC installation manual (I scanned all my manual if they are not available online, so I don't have to look for them 10 years later). If anyone is interested to take a look, you may get it from http://download.waidy.com/EV/HWPCinstllation.pdf

The HPWC manual does not state that the ground must be a #4 wire. It says that the "[g]round wiring can be a maximum of 4 AWG" (see page 4 of the manual).

Thanks for the clarification. Then #8 will be sufficient.

- - - Updated - - -

FlasherZ: Thank you so much for your valuable advices. I appreciate it. One more question: Is there a color code for the two legs of 3 awg power THHN and the 1 leg of 8 Awg ground THHN? By the way, I plan to get all my wires from 600 Volt THHN

Equipment grounding conductor ("ground") must be green, green with yellow stripe, or bare. "Hot" (ungrounded conductors) can be any color other than green, green with yellow stripe, white, or gray. Typically, they will be black and red for opposite legs of single-phase service, but they can both be black as well. (White is only permitted to be re-marked if it is part of a cable assembly - separate wire, such as THHN, may not be remarked from white or gray to indicate hot.)

I think Tesla is out to get me:

Vin 715 and
1. No HPWC yet
2. No title
3. No rear seats
4. Sunroof does not open after software upgrade
5. Promised sunroof shade but none delivered.. and I need it

On the other hand, Tesla made a car 20 times better than I expected.... so I am giving them some slack....

Last edited:

Vin 715 and
1. No HPWC yet

A large percentage of orderers haven't gotten theirs yet, either.

2. No title

Likely a state issue, but I just got mine last week.

3. No rear seats

Most owners who have ordered them still haven't gotten them installed. Call your service center and ask if they'll schedule you up to get them installed?

...and this sounds like your best way to get the service scheduled sooner. :)

Mine is on my due bill as well. That said, there isn't any designed right now. Contact ownership to ask where the progress is?

On the other hand, Tesla gave a car 20 times better than I expected.... so I am giving them some slack....

Good attitude to have!

Can you tell us more about this? IIRC, this is the first post on TMC saying the shade is "need"ed since deliveries began.

Thanks.

Living in Miami where the sun shines strong the sunroof glass gets hot. Recently, the temperature outside was around 84 degrees. I had left the car parked out in the open for a couple of hours. When I got back into the car to drive home, I noticed the top of my head was warmer. It wasn't too bad but I did feel it. I touched the glass with my hand and it was pretty warm. I simply turned the A/C fan at a higher speed.

But what will happen when temperatures reach 90+ or 100 degrees? A simple solution would be to park indoors but not all places have indoor parking.

For now, I am not too preoccupied with this. It is not much of a problem but it could be when the summer is here.

But like I also said, this car is so awesome that this is a minor detail. Do not let things like this from buying this car. This is the best car I have ever owned and I am including BMWs and Mercedes Benz. It is so much fun to drive. It looks awesome and it is quiet, comfortable and spacious.

Living in Miami where the sun shines strong the sunroof glass gets hot. Recently, the temperature outside was around 84 degrees. I had left the car parked out in the open for a couple of hours. When I got back into the car to drive home, I noticed the top of my head was warmer. It wasn't too bad but I did feel it. I touched the glass with my hand and it was pretty warm. I simply turned the A/C fan at a higher speed.

But what will happen when temperatures reach 90+ or 100 degrees? A simple solution would be to park indoors but not all places have indoor parking.
Thanks for the follow-up. Definitely keep us posted on how it does 90+ or 100 degree weather. I thought we had some Arizona reports already that these temperatures were not an issue.

I have vaguely noticed this problem on warmer days (80+) when I get in the car in the middle of the day for lunch. The key for me is to remember to pre-cool the cabin via the app at least 15 minutes before getting in the car. That's the only reason I was convinced I didn't need to sunshade was because of the app's ability to regulate the internal temperature, not because the glass blocks the sun (although that helps as well).

Received High Power Wall Connector today 2/11/13. Cable organizer to be shipped at a later date. My car was delivered on 11/2/12 Signature #121. Now I have the added ability to quick charge the perfect car.

UPDATE ON MY POST

Vin 715 and
1. No HPWC yet
2. No title
3. No rear seats

On the other hand, Tesla made a car 20 times better than I expected.... so I am giving them some slack....

1. HPWC showed up today
2. Still no tittle.... must be DMV's fault; not Tesla's
3. Still no rear seats.... don't mind this too much
4. Sunroof fixed this morning.... Tesla's runner showed up at 9AM and fixed it... WOOT for Tesla
5. No sunshade .....Solution: Will start A/C from iPhone before getting in the car

Darn I love this car and this company

VIN 1267 (R#77) HPWC just arrived via FedEx-- I Did have to sign for it by the way. Installation scheduled for Thursday.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360710119.902247.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360710194.985832.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360710231.186240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had mine for a while, but the electrician finally put it in this morning. Had to restring the wire to upgrade from 4 AWG to 3 AWG so I could safely charge at the full 80amps when I want to. Works great! Glad I won't have to pull the portable cable out every night anymore.
I thought there was something in the installation guide about 3 AWG being too (physically) large to use with the HPWC.

- - - Updated - - -

@efusco - Mine didn't come with a cute dog. No fairsies.