Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hmm... brake lights during regen-only-no-regular-brakes-applied?! This has been a contentious one. Is this confirmation that it's official?

Part of the reason that the brakes feel so natural is the Tesla's approach to regenerative braking. Unlike many manufacturers, regeneration isn't controlled by the brake pedal at all--it's handled solely by the accelerator. Let off the pedal slightly, and the car begins meting juice back into the pack. Remove your right foot entirely and the sedan generates electricity at its maximum rate. A gyro measures the rate of deceleration and flicks on the LED brake lights accordingly.

I think the proliferation of EVs is only a good thing for Tesla. I think Tesla will make a bulk of its money not from selling cars, but from selling EV powertrain technology to other car manufacturers. That's where the real volume is at. And if they can get others to adopt their SuperCharging technology that too works into the hands of Tesla.

Definitely. And the more EVs sold overall, the more pressure there will be on building ubiquitous charging infrastructure.

..aaand there it is:

There are no cupholders for the rear-seat occupants (although there are for the unfortunate souls stuffed into the rear-facing jump seats). Neither the doors nor the front seatbacks have map pockets. We suppose Tesla assumes that the gargantuan 17-inch multifunction display obviates the need for maps. Still, the ignorance of interior storage in a modern sedan feels like a bush-league mistake.

TM, this forum tried to tell ya...

I really like this review. It gives areas of concern/improvement, and not only glowing comments. I think that is important as I can't believe that ANY car is "perfect". Otherwise, the overall content of the article is certainly very positive.

Agreed. It seems to be the most thorough and genuinely critical review of the bunch I've read. It pays credit where credit is due, but isn't shy to point out some of the deficiencies of the car.

This is contentious?
I am very happy the brake lights activate if the car slows at a rapid enough rate. That is, after all their purpose for existing, is it not?

If I'm in the car behind and the regen kicks in brake lights would be appropriate. I plan to use regen quite a bit instead of using my brake pedal, but the result is the same and I do NOT want anyone plowing into me.

+1. I found (Standard, not Low) Regen to be fairly mild; the weight of the car and the fact that it's aimed at the mainstream audience may have something to do with the strongest available regen setting being relatively weak.

If technically feasible, Tesla, please do provide a stronger setting or two but continue to default to Standard.

Even better, it'd be nice if Tesla could dynamically adjust the regen depending on the gradient of the road. If you're going downhill, you want the regen to be strongest. Uphill would be very little to no regen. Flat driving would be somewhere in the middle. They could even use the accelerometer (perhaps assisted by map data) to determine the current gradient.

Of course it'd still be nice to manually control regen, when for instance you'd want it to be strongest when in stop and go traffic.

2013 Tesla Model S - Status Update - Automobile Magazine

"Frankly, we didn't notice anything exceptional about the cornering in comparison to, say, an Audi A7 or Fisker Karma;"

I didn't think the karma cornered particularly well. I'll need to check this.
One of the comments on that article agrees with you, heh:
ruxper said:
Did you really just implicitly equate the 3700lb rated "best connected to the road" sedan A7 to the 5300lb high-CG pig Karma? All surrounding opinions discredited.

Mod note: As the regen talk was getting a bit in-depth, they've been moved to Model S regen

One of the comments on that article agrees with you, heh:

Yeah, I don't get that comment myself. The karma felt squishy to me. I know the A7 handles fairly well though. Either way, with all the reviews praising the handling, I was expecting more than A7 handling, but perhaps the reviewers were praising in context of other cars the size of the Model S.