Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Internet, so take with grain of salt, but really, if you bought a Model S in the last week or two, there are no words.
I do feel a little sharp pain in my chest knowing I'm missing out on the camera by only a a couple weeks. I'm thinking that a retrofit will be in the works for the camera but if there's a fluid washer involved I'm thinking there will be no retrofit.

Reactions: prindiaos
Be warned that the Ultra Red is tinted which means you have to be careful about correction. I'm hand correcting a number of minor surface scratches prior to a quick once over with my gear driven dual action. Most panels are free from swirling but the rear bumper is going to need a correction step before polishing.

I also discovered another paint chip that had been filled in with touch up paint on the rear hatch above the tail light. I used lacquer thinner to confirm and all the touchup came right off exposing the white primer underneath. There's just not enough time at delivery to find every little thing. Fortunately I'm pretty good with chip make ship fills flush.

So when I said "next step ceramic", that wasn't quite true :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I do feel a little sharp pain in my chest knowing I'm missing out on the camera by only a a couple weeks. I'm thinking that a retrofit will be in the works for the camera but if there's a fluid washer involved I'm thinking there will be no retrofit.
I just received a VIN today. I can only assume it was a car that was made months ago while they sorted out the EPA range issue. And that turned out not to be a big deal, I was notified that the range dropped just a few miles.

Reactions: ragweedd
What more rumored changes beyond RGB lighting and front bumper camera????
Acc. to teslascope
"There have been some improvements to the suspension and general driving feel.
Otherwise, the other refinements are all minor component revision updates."

Personally i expect this one to be a minor update and mostly just adding ambient lights.
There is no reason to be secretive about other changes because nobody would find out until very late. (infact all 2024 models could be having those changes already)

People felt the same about the retrofit for the swiveling display, and that never happened, either. Never, ever assume Tesla will retrofit this, as the number of things they do retrofit is very, very few. They don't offer an official retrofit for the rear screen upgrade, the swiveling display upgrade, the updated headlights or tail lights, the Steam support etc. The only part they MIGHT retrofit is the new steering wheel/yoke when that's available en masse, because of the warranty issues with the crap existing material.

Of course, I hope to be wrong about the front camera, but I'd say the chances of that being ever offered as a retrofit is slim to none.

The only retrofits they've allowed so far have some sort of safety aspect. i.e. MCU2 upgrade wouldn't have been offered had had not been tied to recall for backup camera failures. The round wheel downgrade wouldn't have been offered if it hadn't been for the safety concerns over sudden low speed avoidance maneuvers that many will never be able to handle with a yoke.

I predict the front camera will be offered as a retrofit and will probably be required for them to deliver on already promised functionality while the RGB lighting will probably never be offered.

The next time Tesla proactively calls me, for anything will be the first time. That there is mighty fine click bait or trolling or both.

The only retrofits they've allowed so far have some sort of safety aspect.
Not true. They offer the CCS retrofit, and the Model 3 powered liftgate retrofit. (You could consider the Model Y Biohazard filter as a safety retrofit.)

Also, in China they have a retrofit to add ~1 in. to the bottom seat cushion in the Model Y to make it more comfortable.

So, they do offer some non-safety related retrofits.

• Informative
Reactions: ragweedd and sorka
Not true. They offer the CCS retrofit, and the Model 3 powered liftgate retrofit. (You could consider the Model Y Biohazard filter as a safety retrofit.)

Also, in China they have a retrofit to add ~1 in to the bottom seat cushion in the Model Y to make it more comfortable.

So, they do offer some non-safety related retrofits.

I was only talking about the Model S ;)

Need some advice and wisdom here. Tesla came back with my trade in for my 2021 M3P with FSD, $17,000. There’s some damage on the rear right quarter panel from a hit and run in a parking lot. Carvana offered me $29,000, and they know about the damage. So that’s a difference of $12k, which is the cost of the FSD. Is Tesla just dropping the value by $12k because I am doing the free FSD transfer to my new model S? If so, this doesn’t seem like a free FSD transfer. It’s a, “we’re deducting the cost of FSD from your trade in” kind of deal, so I’m not actually saving $12k at all by transferring FSD to the new vehicle. Anyone have experience with this? What would you do here?

People felt the same about the retrofit for the swiveling display, and that never happened, either. Never, ever assume Tesla will retrofit this, as the number of things they do retrofit is very, very few. They don't offer an official retrofit for the rear screen upgrade, the swiveling display upgrade, the updated headlights or tail lights, the Steam support etc. The only part they MIGHT retrofit is the new steering wheel/yoke when that's available en masse, because of the warranty issues with the crap existing material.

Of course, I hope to be wrong about the front camera, but I'd say the chances of that being ever offered as a retrofit is slim to none.
To be honest I don’t really care if Tesla offers the retrofit just as long as they don’t go out of their way to make it impossible. With the exception of the taillights all the things you mention can be and have been done (the steam retrofit Tesla will do if you ask and pay)