Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On delivery, if the car comes with the current release 2024.2.3, be advised it does not have FSD associated with it.

Probably will come with an earlier release that does have FSD, but be careful not to update unless you don't care about "FSD"
I can confirm that my February built car was delivered with software v11.1 (2023.44.300) and FSD beta software 11.4.9.

Reactions: aerodyne
A few days after ordering I received a text from my SA requesting that I sign the FSD transfer document that had been sent a few days before. I had not completed it because of the field that required a VIN number of the car to which the transfer was being applied, which has yet to be issued. When I expressed this deficiency, I was assured by another SA, who had received my email, higher up the line I presume, that all I needed to do was supply the reservation number (RN…) in that spot. I did so, returned the FSD document and received confirmation and thanks.

I should add that my wife and I had visited the showroom (Centinela) to check out the new Highland for her on my recommendation to take advantage of the FSD transfer from her 2018 Model 3. She ended up test driving all four models and decided on the Model S. Even though I’d had a Model S since 2018, and bought a new Model S in December (FUSC transferred) she had never driven one as she always thought it was too big for her. After test driving all models she felt extremely comfortable and safer in the Model S. We’ll be transferring FSD from the 2018 Model 3 we have and shall be keeping (no trade-in).

I suggest you call Tesla Sales as they can certainly help you through the process. (888) 518-3752.
Thanks much. I had visited the showroom as well, but have had zero reach out from anyone since I did the order and completed all of the paperwork. I used the same information from my '21 MYP. This has actually been my experience here in Houston with my Tesla purchases. I guess it really is down to the locations and their communications. I guess since they are not measured on the purchase experience, you get what you get. Thanks again for sharing your experience. I reached out via the app to see what those next steps are. I drive by the SC often, so will likely swing in Saturday if I do not hear anything back. No VIN yet, so I am still a bit out.

For someone that knows nothing about the software versions and wants to try FSD, what does "11.1 (2023.44.300) and FSD beta software 11.4.9" do for me?

My MSP is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Do I still want to refuse an update?
That software will definitely allow you to try out FSD. I found that even on the aggressive setting FSD is still very conservative with unprotected left turns. Thankfully you will be able to give it a try for 3 months for "free".

As for refusing updates, I don't really think that is something to be worried about. My car has been connected to WiFi since the day I got it and I have the software updates set to advanced and nothing has come through yet.

So, enjoy your car when it arrives and hold on for dear life with your FSD trial. 😉

I am wondering if TeslaFi is not showing all info. You can see the screen shot from Tessie shows more dara granularity, that of waking up for seversl minutes every six hours or so. That last activity was me walking by the car and waking it up.View attachment 1020632
This is a setting in TeslaFi, when it is in deep sleep, you can have it check the vehicle state or not. I have mine set to not check in order to reduce any drain.
Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 8.12.30 AM.png

Reactions: aerodyne
That software will definitely allow you to try out FSD. I found that even on the aggressive setting FSD is still very conservative with unprotected left turns. Thankfully you will be able to give it a try for 3 months for "free".

As for refusing updates, I don't really think that is something to be worried about. My car has been connected to WiFi since the day I got it and I have the software updates set to advanced and nothing has come through yet.

So, enjoy your car when it arrives and hold on for dear life with your FSD trial. 😉
I have found in our FSD experience is with v11, it was like teaching my teenage daughters how to drive. Scary aggressive at times and unnecessarily conservative at others. Everything I have seen with v12 is the majority of these issues have been addressed. Looking forward to being able to try it out. I have been using it since the first day it was turned on for customers. It has been an up and down journey.

Thanks much. I had visited the showroom as well, but have had zero reach out from anyone since I did the order and completed all of the paperwork. I used the same information from my '21 MYP. This has actually been my experience here in Houston with my Tesla purchases. I guess it really is down to the locations and their communications. I guess since they are not measured on the purchase experience, you get what you get. Thanks again for sharing your experience. I reached out via the app to see what those next steps are. I drive by the SC often, so will likely swing in Saturday if I do not hear anything back. No VIN yet, so I am still a bit out.
and, as soon as I submitted this post, Tesla reached out to me. Very odd that they asked me for the VIN of my transferring vehicle. I am the owner of the original vehicle, I ordered the car through the app that was logged in at the time for said vehicle, but they sounded surprised I was a current owner. Oh well, all good.

Reactions: de Vere
This may not be the place for it but, since we are all twiddling our thumbs waiting for cars: Has anybody heard about plans for Electric Steering for the Model S or MSP, such as the Cyber Truck has?
This would solve a big concern I (and others) have had about the mechanical steering ratio on the MS, which is especially problematic on the higher performance Plaid with Yoke steering.

This may not be the place for it but, since we are all twiddling our thumbs waiting for cars: Has anybody heard about plans for Electric Steering for the Model S or MSP, such as the Cyber Truck has?
This would solve a big concern I (and others) have had about the mechanical steering ratio on the MS, which is especially problematic on the higher performance Plaid with Yoke steering.
I'm wondering the same. Plus 48V for the "low voltage" bus. I would expect that 2 months after I get delivery of my car (whenever THAT is... :rolleyes: ) they will announce a whole new MS with tons of upgrades and over 500 mile range with better than Lucid Sapphire performance.

Because that's the luck I have. 🤣

I think that would be a big change that would be hard to justify ~3 years after a big refresh. I don't know what the threshold is for having to redo crash tests, but I'd imagine they'd want to avoid that.

I also don't know how you get good "steering feel" when the yoke is completely mechanically uncoupled from the wheels. It is totally a video game at that point....

Reactions: trimotor
I ordered 2/6 when EDD said February to March. It changed last week to February 29 to March 31.

The SA who has been corresponding with me the most said it would be no problem to switch to an inventory car but it doesn't seem like the inventory in Southern California is changing much. I've noticed the same cars (which don't match) but the inventory does not seem to fluctuate here.

I've been refreshing the Tesla inventory site to see if my exact configuration shows up locally. So far it's just in the bay area, but I'm not keen to driving 6 hours north.

I'm hopeful that my configuration shows up locally but the SA acknowledged that they didn't have insight on Model S vehicles in transit but apparently do for 3s/Ys. Until then, I guess I wait for whenever the factory decides to start production.

For those who have gone through this before, how do you know when the factory starts building your order? Do you receive automated notifications via the app or email? Or is it something where the SA team has to look into that for you?

The last time I had the factory custom build my S was in 2016 when the order/delivery experience was definitely more bespoke and you had what seemed like a dozen or more configuration options.

I ordered 2/6 when EDD said February to March. It changed last week to February 29 to March 31.

The SA who has been corresponding with me the most said it would be no problem to switch to an inventory car but it doesn't seem like the inventory in Southern California is changing much. I've noticed the same cars (which don't match) but the inventory does not seem to fluctuate here.

I've been refreshing the Tesla inventory site to see if my exact configuration shows up locally. So far it's just in the bay area, but I'm not keen to driving 6 hours north.

I'm hopeful that my configuration shows up locally but the SA acknowledged that they didn't have insight on Model S vehicles in transit but apparently do for 3s/Ys. Until then, I guess I wait for whenever the factory decides to start production.

For those who have gone through this before, how do you know when the factory starts building your order? Do you receive automated notifications via the app or email? Or is it something where the SA team has to look into that for you?

The last time I had the factory custom build my S was in 2016 when the order/delivery experience was definitely more bespoke and you had what seemed like a dozen or more configuration options.
You'll get a text and app notification once you have been assigned a VIN. That means your car has been built. I received my VIN the day after it was built.

• Love
Reactions: rfmurphy81