Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, here is a workaround. Granted, owners should not have to choose between a yoke that is a joke for parallel parking and a wheel that won't let you see the speedo.

Advantage is that SMT can display other info, like cell temp and max Regen and charging power.
It's tough putting the phone there when you have a wheel. You end up blocking out a lot of your view. Where I have my phone mount is almost 100%. It blocks a little of my view but it's fine. S3XY buttons have their app which does what SMT does. It has 2 different views that I use on my phone which are great.

1705255008838.png

1705255027772.png

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and aerodyne
The 0-60 won't improve with more power, since it is already traction / torque limited. But, the 60+ mph acceleration would improve. That's where it switches to being battery limited, rather than motor / traction limited.
You're technically right of course, but saying 60+ understates the situation. The 1200HP/1400TQ Sapphire wasn't really faster until you approach 150mph. And of course that's all on a prepared dragstrip. I stand by my statement that, for street cars, I think it's hard to make the case for much more than 1,000HP. Even with AWD, there are physical limitations emerging for cars in normal life outside of specialty facilities. But who cares - I want to brag as much as the next guy.

Reactions: dsm363 and aerodyne
I'm not sure why it's an issue now and it wasn't in the last generation model S. The screen is the same size. Did we just get used to seeing all of it with the yoke?
It’s an issue because the steering wheel opening appears smaller. And more information has been shifted out of the center to make room for car animation. The speed used to be right in the middle. Along with other information.

As someone else pointed out, it was likely designed with the yoke only in mind. Then they caved to customer demand and added back a round steering wheel.

Reactions: zoomer0056 and teko
Remind me: where is the speedometer on this pic? Yes, right. Hiden behind the steering wheel.

View attachment 1008782
Stupid design, arrogant and blatantly incompetent product mangement. Catastrophic leadership... Why do I have to look for an aftermarket steering wheel when buying a 100 K car. And why do I have to pay for being a guinea pig when "they" could have done a basic survey to find out that the new idea is indeed dumb and no thank you, let's keep the stalks???
I have been driving a 2020 S for 4 years, never had a problem with IC visibility, have never thought once that the driving experience could be better without stalks. With seat and steering wheel being adjustable, one should not have these problems

There’s only one clear advantage to the yoke - unobstructed view of the driver dash. In my preferred seating position (model X) the wheel slightly blocks the upper side of the driver screen. The X has a very deep dash panel and I prefer a high seating position for better visibility. The yoke is perhaps slightly more ergonomic for straight highway driving resting your hands on but besides these nothing justifies the yoke. It’s the stupidest Tesla feature, but it still trails by far the removal of the center horn in that category. That’s the pinnacle of no-one-ever-asked-for-this things that stayed that way after being forced on buyers.

There’s only one clear advantage to the yoke - unobstructed view of the driver dash. In my preferred seating position (model X) the wheel slightly blocks the upper side of the driver screen. The X has a very deep dash panel and I prefer a high seating position for better visibility. The yoke is perhaps slightly more ergonomic for straight highway driving resting your hands on but besides these nothing justifies the yoke. It’s the stupidest Tesla feature, but it still trails by far the removal of the center horn in that category. That’s the pinnacle of no-one-ever-asked-for-this things that stayed that way after being forced on buyers.
Yet some here love it and tell the rest of us we just need to get over it and adapt. Guess the center horn side won this one.

Reactions: Snardy and DBV1
I have been driving a 2020 S for 4 years, never had a problem with IC visibility, have never thought once that the driving experience could be better without stalks. With seat and steering wheel being adjustable, one should not have these problems
I drove a 2012 for 11 years and have had the new one for a few weeks and there is a difference. You can't see the entire instrument cluster now.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Has anyone had experience changing a configuration a while after ordering (i.e. 6 weeks), but having not been assigned a VIN? I'm curious what the impact, if any, would be on your spot in the production plan.
Updating your configuration outside of those required by Tesla (like this most current EPA adjustment) does move your spot in the queue from my understanding. Given, that was told to me by two seperate advisors a few years apart, so grain of salt and all that

Reactions: zoomer0056
I tend to agree that more power is reaching diminishing returns at this point. Higher yield would probably be a smarter traction control system and/or a torque vectoring diff up front to better distribute the available power.
Yes, and mass reduction. I have two lightweight cars in our garage - a soft-top Miata ND2 with a manual, and an Alfa 4C Spider. Such a joy to drive. There are so many other dynamic benefits to less weight.

Reactions: dsm363 and aerodyne
A few pages back I was talking about Tesla wanting to deliver cars during a blizzard.

A few responses were basically saying Tesla's left hand (regional) not knowing what the right (delivery) was doing. From a favorite movie: "that would be a bingo!"

Update:
Ever since getting rescheduled I have received a daily text of "Your Model S is on-site. If you would like to take delivery of your Model S sooner than your scheduled..."

These daily texts so far occurred during the blizzard days, and today, Sunday even as my area started at -9f this morning and might have a high of 0f.

I am guessing regional controls the text bots and they are in a warm area of the nation... lol

I tend to agree that more power is reaching diminishing returns at this point. Higher yield would probably be a smarter traction control system and/or a torque vectoring diff up front to better distribute the available power.
The Nevera gets to 60 in 1.74 seconds with about 800 more HP and 300lbs of additional curb weight. Using some fuzzy Biden math, if all engineers were equal, the Model S could technically do a 1.85 0-60 without the 1ft rollout with an extra 400hp.

I know for a fact that there's nowhere near 1000hp being put out during a Plaid launch. It can't put the power down no matter what surface you're on, so they can probably improve 0-60 today without adding more power - so yes, I agree that more power would be useless given its current design but the schlong contest on the street is what matters here :D

• Funny
Reactions: dn325ci and teko
The Nevera gets to 60 in 1.74 seconds with about 800 more HP and 300lbs of additional curb weight. Using some fuzzy Biden math, if all engineers were equal, the Model S could technically do a 1.85 0-60 without the 1ft rollout with an extra 400hp.

I know for a fact that there's nowhere near 1000hp being put out during a Plaid launch. It can't put the power down no matter what surface you're on, so they can probably improve 0-60 today without adding more power - so yes, I agree that more power would be useless given its current design but the schlong contest on the street is what matters here :D

Bring back the cold gas thrusters that were supposed to be on the Roadster 2!

Since I think that car will never be produced...

(Ducking)