Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking Not saying others likes are wrong! Why are people obsessed with LED light strips in the car? For me, last this I want is to feel like I’m driving around in a Tron washroom. Why is this such a Must Have? Kind of reminds me of when under glow lighting fad was so cool. Now it’s rather comical to be honest.
I agree. But it's not mood lights for the men because we're always in the mood. I think it's more for the women. 🤔

• Funny
Reactions: teko and Yelobird
Yeah, I don't care about the ambient lights, but the front camera would be really useful to stop scraping my front nose on parking bumpers. I had to back the car in all the time to avoid scraping.
Earlier this year we had our 2015 MS's whole front bumper tear off backing away from a parking bumper. The car auto-raised at that location, but lowered just a bit (?) and caught the underside. It was $5k to repair, but covered by insurance (!). A front camera would be real nice. The front sensors in our 2015 never sees parking bumpers, so a front camera would be a net improvement, IMO.

Yeah, I don't care about the ambient lights, but the front camera would be really useful to stop scraping my front nose on parking bumpers. I had to back the car in all the time to avoid scraping.
The USS on my 2016 do a very good job telling me exactly how far away I am from the parking stop blocks. Going to suck losing that.

Yeah, removing them was really dumb. To save $110! Woo

Although I will say they missed some parking blocks, so I couldn't rely on them for that.
It saves them around $2.5 million a year on S and X I think. I get (maybe) removing them from the 3 and Y as a cost savings (still doesn't make sense to do so yet) but on the S and X, really not a good move.

I'm sure most of us would have been okay with having a smaller price drop in order to keep the USS sensors.

I do plan on looking into retrofitting this. It seems possible - the harnesses are pretty simple, and there's a configuration switch in the gateway.

Main roadblock will be actually needing new bumpers. And with my luck, tesla will disable USS on all cars like they did radar.

Reactions: aerodyne and dsm363
So adding to my prediction for 2024, steer-by-wire, front camera, RGB ambient, and sport seats, price going up $10k.

But I'd be happy with front camera and steer-by-wire 😂
Steer by wire is too much re-engineering for the model S/X. And no real benefit. Re-engineering to put 2170s or 4680s in there would be better, but also won't happen since it likely would require new crash testing.

Reactions: dsm363
Steer by wire is too much re-engineering for the model S/X. And no real benefit. Re-engineering to put 2170s or 4680s in there would be better, but also won't happen since it likely would require new crash testing.
I'm not convinced it would require a *tremendous* amount of reengineering, seems like it'd be easier to go to steer by wire than the other way around. Certainly would be easier than engineering the car to accept 4680s (2170 might be doable). But I don't think it's something they'll do any time soon. Perhaps in a year or two with a "Raven" style refresh

I don't think there'd be a real advantage to 2170 or 4680 over the 18650s either way.

Reactions: dsm363