Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove by the SC this morning to look again and convince myself the @jebinc is wrong about the rear bar and charge port cheapening the looks (and unfortunately he is not). Cannot get into the new design. No way I would forfeit $20k for them. If it were an easy retrofit for cheap money, I would consider. Get the car and do not look back. You are getting an awesome car no doubt.
Can’t get into the new design? Madness…

1647720640632.jpeg

This was the day I brought my S home, and I stared at the crap rear lights and was like…wtf is this?

View attachment 783171

Well, I had to see this for myself and have to call BS on this FUD! 🤣 Why?

First the LEDs in both versions run at different clock speeds/refresh rates. Add to that, the frame rate/shutter speed of the iPhone camera, being digital and all…. When you take a picture of the slower refresh rate old lights, you get a blotchy shitty looking result, as @WilliamG posted. I confirmed that.

I also have a 2021 MYP and that diffused look is the result of red frosted filters, instead of the older style red reflector diamonded plastic.

Looking closely at the MYP, there are still point LEDs behind the “frosting”. I suspect the refresh rate is faster on the MYP LEDs as well.

Just looking at the lit old lights directly, you don’t see the blotchiness that shows up in the digital photos and videos. So, attached are some example shots to convince you the above statements are indeed true.

Check out the video I shot of my Plaids lights. 😲 as the most dramatic example of this. Clearly, they don’t look that way to the naked eye…

E89CB459-2114-49A0-B7B7-A983231CB2AA.jpeg
213E7B54-DD43-4943-A0C0-FA1A83498AEE.jpeg
C56F2119-EECF-4B0A-8125-5E9CCF20DF31.jpeg
84C74679-C563-4A92-8F75-59DB9B6B3B43.jpeg

First the LEDs in both versions run at different clock speeds/refresh rates. Add to that, the frame rate/shutter speed of the iPhone camera, being digital and all…. When you take a picture of the slower refresh rate old lights, you get a blotchy shitty looking result, as @WilliamG posted. I confirmed that.

I also have a 2021 MYP and that diffused look is the result of red frosted filters, instead of the older style red reflector diamonded plastic.

Looking closely at the MYP, there are still point LEDs behind the “frosting”. I suspect the refresh rate is faster on the MYP LEDs as well.

Just looking at the lit old lights directly, you don’t see the blotchiness that shows up in the digital photos and videos. So, attached are some example shots to convince you the above statements are indeed true.

Check out the video I shot of my Plaids lights. 😲 as the most dramatic example of this. Clearly, they don’t look that way to the naked eye…

View attachment 783178View attachment 783179View attachment 783180

May need to be clear on your meaning so scoddy88 can keep up with your posts too.

Check out the video I shot of my Plaids lights. 😲 as the most dramatic example of this. Clearly, they don’t look that way to the naked eye…. BTW, charge port door is open.

View attachment 783178View attachment 783179View attachment 783180View attachment 783181

And so… the engineer in me wanted to show you the “naked eye” view…. But how I pondered….

Well, I broke out an old fashioned arts and craft Polaroid-like camera and took a shot. Then digitized by taking an iPhone digital picture of the still (zero led refresh going on) and wala, the naked eye look of a lot old style Plaid tail light 🤜 (that’s a “bro fist,” bro)!

So you you can see the FUD version and naked eye view version. Reality is somewhat in between the two as the Polaroid doesn’t have the resolution that the iPhone does. Enjoy!

7B016D9B-B299-46E6-932F-412D1596172A.jpeg
72FBDF08-AA3F-4B0B-A40D-C9AFB30F0AA4.jpeg

View attachment 783178View attachment 783179View attachment 783180View attachment 783181
It’s amazing how much better the new lights look.

So, may have missed a discussion on this...

With the recent price increases, I'll be paying 10k less than the current price for a non plaid LR.

That plus the recent uptick in orders, I'm considering flipping the car delivery in May.

Apart for endless cycle of being caught between FOMO and FUD, I'm wondering if Elons actions and company he keeps, are a indication of the future quality of the MS and MX.

OTOH, I'd like to at least drive and sit in a refresh refresh refresh for a few days. I think I deserve it.

I wonder what a new MS would be worth on the market now, with say 50 miles on it?
I think that when you actually drive it, you won't want to part with it.

But you’re just proving my point! We’re not talking about the blotchiness. In my comparison photos the new lights don’t change brightness or contrast either which they do in the pics.

The old lighting style looks like ass, whether you prefer the old appliqué design or not. In your photos the Y lights looks amazing by comparison.

The difference is not having obvious ugly individual LEDs anymore. It’s a staggering difference, and really dates the pre-refresh. It bothered me that my 2019 Model 3 had more modern lights both front and rear.

Last edited:
But you’re just proving my point! We’re not talking about the blotchiness. In my comparison photos the new lights don’t change brightness or contrast either. The old lighting style looks like ass, whether you prefer the old appliqué design or not. In your photos the Y lights looks amazing.

The difference is not having obvious ugly individual LEDs anymore. It’s a staggering difference, and really dates the pre-refresh. It bothered me that my 2019 Model 3 had more modern lights both front and rear.

Based on your context, I take it that you are not an ass man? And when you say "looks like ass", whose ass are you referring to there?

But you’re just proving my point! We’re not talking about the blotchiness. In my comparison photos the new lights don’t change brightness or contrast either which they do in the pics.

The old lighting style looks like ass, whether you prefer the old appliqué design or not. In your photos the Y lights looks amazing by comparison.

I think you may have missed my point. I like my MYP lights, and obviously don’t take issue with the refreshed “lights”. I do think the overall rear look, including the other changes (unintegrated/unembisswd Tesla appliqué and “2D sticker tri motor badge”) looks “cheapened” to me. Give me the new lights (with frosting) in the old format and touch nothing else, would be an improvement. And I wouldn’t trade or cancel my order for that, either.

I don’t dislike the new look, I’m just indifferent. It wouldn’t change my decision to buy or sell. Info cover the headlights, having them on my MYP and not on my Plaid. Obvious difference.

Second, many are slitting their wrists, rejecting cars, putting orders on hold, etc. over these rear end changes. All the talk was about the new rear end tail lights, charge port and plaid badge, and little about the real improvement - the headlights!

PS. And the photo you attached implied how you thought the old lights looked, and they don’t.

I think you may have missed my point. I like my MYP lights, and obviously don’t take issue with the refreshed “lights”. I do think the overall rear look, including the other changes (unintegrated/unembisswd Tesla appliqué and “2D sticker tri motor badge”) and the overall rear of the refresh refresh, looks “cheapened” to me. Give me the new lights (with frosting) in the old format and touch nothing else, would be an improvement. And I wouldn’t trade or cancel my order for that, either.

I don’t dislike the new look, I’m just indifferent. It would change my decision. Info cover the headlights, having them on my MYP and not on my Plaid. Obvious difference.

Second, many are slitting their wrists, rejecting cars, putting orders on hold, etc. over these rear end changes. All the talk was about the new rear end tail lights, charge port and plaid badge, and little about the real improvement - the headlights!

PS. And the photo you attached implied how you thought the old lights looked, and they don’t.
The rear end was the easiest to really see the difference in pictures. In pictures the headlights look a little different during the day, sure - with the two projectors, but in terms of visual design it’s whatever? Clearly that’s a needing to be there at night thing…

At the end of the day, Tesla had years to update the front/rear lights. It’s just lame that there are Plaids out there without lights even as good as a 2018 bottom of the line Model 3…

We deserved better!

The rear end was the easiest to really see the difference in pictures. In pictures the headlights look a little different during the day, sure - with the two projectors, but in terms of visual design it’s whatever? Clearly that’s a needing to be there at night thing…

At the end of the day, Tesla had years to update the front/rear lights. It’s just lame that there are Plaids out there without lights even as good as a 2018 bottom of the line Model 3…

We deserved better!

Sure, it is lame. Along with the step backward in UI, dash screen lack of customization (like the last generation), loss of energy page, a F’d over front end that still has vibration issues, glass that was once clear and is now like looking through the bottom of a coke bottle, and on and on I could go!