Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In terms of those concerned about no more ability to adjust the amount of 1-peddle regen braking, here's a data point: I have four women in my family who are all very sensitive to bad driving and easily get nauseated, and after a week of driving my first Tesla in what was the most aggressive setting (I prefer 1-peddle driving), I learned how to drive "normally" that way, to the point where they couldn't tell any difference. It's pretty easy, IMHO.

Btw, I just test drove a Mustang Mach E for my wife (sadly, she doesn't like Tesla styling), and wow, that thing is seriously too aggressive! It like jumps right into heavy regen braking! Although you can completely turn off regen, Ford really needs to tweak it when it is enabled. Ugh -- that made even me sick!

Exactly my thoughts. I am thinking that Tesla is going to need something faster than the Rimac Nevera. That may be the roadster...
So much going on and changing in this space I doubt many will be keeping them 5 years. Will be something new and better within 2 years. I rarely keep a car more than 2 years, I'm sure this time is no different.

God I wish I had your ability. I have serious car ADD

I think the + was all a ploy lol
Prior to Tesla, I was the more typical 5 or 6 years. I loved my P85 and and, other than some road rash on the nose, it looked and drove just like the day I picked it up*. However, I did not want to own a first-gen battery pack and drive unit out of warranty ($$$!!!) so bought a ticket on the Refresh Crazy Train. :)

* One hidden bonus for first time EV owners--the drivetrain does not go through the slow mechanical degradation that ICE cars do. While 100K miles is a significant milestone for an ICE, its just another Tuesday for an EV.

Reading all posts about that tesla provides DD and then removing it from accounts. My question is how to plan to apply for finance with your preferable bank if they do this thing?

Let's say I got a VIN and went to the bank, got approval, then tesla has removed VIN and Purchase agreement and the system does not show it again for next month and my approval has expired... What to do at this point how to be sure I will get a car shortly after posting a VIN and PA?

1st time buying Tesla with Tesla and it is some sort of madness...

Picked my Plaid up in Houston yesterday.

As much as Tesla has been a pain getting this crammed through to beat Q2 numbers, the folks in Houston couldn't have been more helpful. Huge kudos goes out to Travis and Veronica (pictured) for their help in the last few days of delivery!

First note: Even having been a Ludicrous driver for 5 years, the performance difference in this car is insane. The jump off the line is comparable, but after that the Plaid just keeps it comin'. It does not let up until you do. This sensation is at nearly any speed. Yeah, it's quick.

That said, everything else about the car is refined... road noise, wind noise, overall feel is greatly improved.

My pre-delivery observations:

1) Didn't like the yoke steering. Still don't... for low speed or parking lot use. I could get used to the highway use. I do like the additional visibility of the DIC and road. I did find that resting my left hand on it bumps the light button, which flashes the high beams. I flashed a lot of people by accident. Even though I am a long time motorcycle rider and should be used to push button signals, the buttons on the yoke are very inconsistent. Sometimes I seem to need to smash them, other times brushing them works. I need to read how to "lane change" them... 3 flashes then turn off.

2) Horizontal screen. I apparently never saw a good side shot of the screen. I didn't like it because I though it would look like an after thought just haphazardly attached to the dash. It is actually "half" integrated. This annoyance I get can use to.

3) Swiping the screen to move. Don't like that. I seem to randomly be able to use the buttons below the mobile device pads, but that is also inconsistent. Probably something I'm doing. I'll use those over the screen swipe. I haven't tried enabling "auto" selection yet.
Some additional notes as I put miles on the car...

3) I had a heck of a time hitting N this morning for a special case. I couldn't seem to swipe carefully enough to stop at N. I went real slow from D to R and from R to D. I could see it select N, but would jump to D/R before I could stop it. Eventually (again, see above) I was able to use the controls below the device pad, but I don't know what actions brought them online.

4) Oddly enough, I seem to have more issues with sun glare on my face and on the screens. I adjusted my seat pretty high (and I am pretty tall), but I am using the sun visors more than I ever did in my P90D. The screens are a lost cause. The DIC isn't as inset and the MCU is just higher and more "out there". I guess glare is now a thing. :(

Since this is more of a delivery thread, I'll likely move post-delivery observations to another thread. Maybe an existing one or a new one.

Question regarding "Self-presenting" door handles: Are they supposed to pop out when I approach the car with my key (phone)? The handles come out only when I tap on them.
I see the same thing--it is inconsistent, which leads me to believe it is a bug, either in the car of in the implementation of the smartphone app. As others have pointed out, support of Apple Car Key would help address this sort of thing (not sure what the Android equivalent is).

Some additional notes as I put miles on the car...

3) I had a heck of a time hitting N this morning for a special case. I couldn't seem to swipe carefully enough to stop at N. I went real slow from D to R and from R to D. I could see it select N, but would jump to D/R before I could stop it. Eventually (again, see above) I was able to use the controls below the device pad, but I don't know what actions brought them online.

4) Oddly enough, I seem to have more issues with sun glare on my face and on the screens. I adjusted my seat pretty high (and I am pretty tall), but I am using the sun visors more than I ever did in my P90D. The screens are a lost cause. The DIC isn't as inset and the MCU is just higher and more "out there". I guess glare is now a thing. :(

Since this is more of a delivery thread, I'll likely move post-delivery observations to another thread. Maybe an existing one or a new one.
You can get to Neutral from the control screen--swipe from the left edge of the display to bring up the control menu, then the button for Neutral is kinda in the middle

Prior to Tesla, I was the more typical 5 or 6 years. I loved my P85 and and, other than some road rash on the nose, it looked and drove just like the day I picked it up*. However, I did not want to own a first-gen battery pack and drive unit out of warranty ($$$!!!) so bought a ticket on the Refresh Crazy Train. :)

* One hidden bonus for first time EV owners--the drivetrain does not go through the slow mechanical degradation that ICE cars do. While 100K miles is a significant milestone for an ICE, its just another Tuesday for an EV.
Truth! I put 143,000 miles on my 2015 P85D and had zero mechanical problems. Didn’t even need to replace brake pads! Two sets of tires and a few niggling issues like having to replace all the door handles under warranty, a reach hatch latch and a window motor that failed, otherwise a completely trouble free experience.

Reading all posts about that tesla provides DD and then removing it from accounts. My question is how to plan to apply for finance with your preferable bank if they do this thing?

Let's say I got a VIN and went to the bank, got approval, then tesla has removed VIN and Purchase agreement and the system does not show it again for next month and my approval has expired... What to do at this point how to be sure I will get a car shortly after posting a VIN and PA?

Financing is typically good for 30 days and can be extended for a certain amount that varies by lender. I would not apply for financing until Tesla prompts you to. I would think most banks can get a loan processed in two to four business days.

Once you have your initial approval from the lender, then getting that refreshed is generally not an issue unless your financial means have changed significantly in the interim. This happens all the time in dealer land, where you change your mind about the color or they manage to upsell you on the trim level. Your lender will want to see the final MVPA before they fund the loan and they will sync up all the necessary details.

Dang! How much is that running you app. 7k give or take?
Realize I am about four hours late to the party here (park day with the son). But here is my quote from a detailer in South Texas for the following:
  • Paint correction, medium stage $650 (could go up or down depending on quality of paint job)
  • LLumar PPF, full frontal $1500
  • Photosync IRD 30% side windows and rear $800
  • Photosync IRD 70% windshield $350
  • Ceramic coating, two layers $550, all windows $350, 4 wheels $400
  • Discount of $500
Total $4800

Realize I am about four hours late to the party here (park day with the son). But here is my quote from a detailer in South Texas for the following:
  • Paint correction, medium stage $650 (could go up or down depending on quality of paint job)
  • LLumar PPF, full frontal $1500
  • Photosync IRD 30% side windows and rear $800
  • Photosync IRD 70% windshield $350
  • Ceramic coating, two layers $550, all windows $350, 4 wheels $400
  • Discount of $500
Total $4800
Pricey compared to mine:

Paint correction and 2 coats CeramicPro on all exterior surfaces, including trim, wheels and windows: $800
Ceramic Tint: $375

Total: $1175+tax.

I see the same thing--it is inconsistent, which leads me to believe it is a bug, either in the car of in the implementation of the smartphone app. As others have pointed out, support of Apple Car Key would help address this sort of thing (not sure what the Android equivalent is).
I'll wildly speculate that it is mostly related to BTLE and update frequency of radio (vs battery life of mobile devices).

The rate the phone sends unsolicited announcements is likely less than something like a fob. The reason phone key works so well for 3/Y is because it can quickly poll BTLE and see if the key is nearby, and unlock. When the car is just sitting there listening for an event from a nearby device, there is no trigger event (like pulling the handle on the 3/Y) to tell it to actively reach out.

Every time I walk up to my Plaid with phone in pocket, it will eventually present the handles if i stand there for a couple of seconds. Are you folks not seeing the same? If so, I'm probably wrong on this.

I never owned a Tesla, but when I test drove the M3, the regen took some adjusting. When the SA told me it was adjustable, I felt good about that. The removal of this option caught me by surprise.

The car I sold was 27 years old with only 100k miles on it. I tend to baby my garaged vehicle. That being said, my MSLR probably won't see a single snow day, and I won't leave for work with it if it is raining. That means I will constantly switch between this and my truck, so regen may, or may not, be an annoyance. I won't know till I own it. But I do know being able to tone it down would definitely be useful for the rare occasion I let my wife drive.
I drove my 2020 Model S all winter (with the extra wheels and Michelin X-Ice-Snow’s). Amazing traction. I am not convinced that the regen is not tied into the ABS system. Even on ice it never slid on max regen. Of course the newest studless tires are really something, all-seasons would definitely be a better test if the regen can lock up the tires