Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got the email and switched delivery time from "Late May - June" to "June - Early July". Really only a 2-week delay.

I'm going to be down to a 2001 Ford Focus with no A/C soon. :-(

EDIT: actually, I think it was "May -Early June" before this change, so it is a 4-week delay.

Last edited:
I just got the email and switched delivery time from "Late May - June" to "June - Early July". Really only a 2-week delay.

EDIT: actually, I think it was "May -Early June" before this change, so it is a 4-week delay.

Hmm, Since we ordered/confirmed on the same date I would think mine would get pushed. However mine still says Late May - June. So far I haven't received an email. I guess we will see if I receive anything in the coming days. Maybe the delay is due to the new AP? ;)

Thanks Erik

Ouch, I haven't entered production yet and my 70D is still showing Late May - June. At this rate I guess I'll more be late June at best….

The good news is, I thought I had too much of a lease overlap and was being financially stupid, but it seems like it might actually work out a lot better than I expected.

Why does the Tesla website still say "June Delievery" if you buy a new one?? Thats 100% false since most of us have been waiting 3 to 4 weeks and we are looking at late June to July!

This is my guess.
People nowadays are very impatient so if they see that it is further out it may turn off some people. But when you order, they will be excited little kids like us that can't waiting a little delay won't matter:

haha actually per my DS, my estimated delivery is still scheduled for mid June so not that far off (yet) from the original promised date.

I doubt orders confirmed end of April or beg. of May will be delivered in July... Q1 results were below expectations because of the X troubles and they cannot afford another bad quarter so they'll do the maximum to deliver a max of vehicles by June 30. Maybe we are getting pushed because the retooling needed for the S refresh took a bit more time, maybe X ramp up is happening nicely and they are prioritizing it a bit, but for sure, out of an unexpected bad event, they are maximizing sales they can conclude by end of Q2. Fact is for the past few months getting an S was not taking much more of a month, so going back to longer time does not work well with the spoiled kids we are ;-)
And if it means waiting a bit more to have AP upgrade then so be it!

From the beginning mine has said June-Early July and the DS has been saying consistently since confirmation that production should start last week of May. I just talked to him today and nothing has changed with the schedule.

In orders placed in the second half of a quarter, there are a very very few people who got their car within 1 month of confirmation, but they hit the sweet spot in the scheduling when their car just happened to slip into a batch that was already due for production. For US orders 6-8 weeks from confirmation to delivery is pretty much average. Some have been delayed beyond that, probably about the same percentage who did better than the 6-8 week window.

Tesla focuses on international orders the first half of a quarter and domestic the second half. This enables them to deliver as many cars as possible in the quarter they were built. Domestic orders placed in the first half of a quarter usually take more than 8 weeks. Those who ordered late March and the first half of April had some additional delays as the factory switched over to new parts.

Problems can and do crop up. If something happens to your car on the production line, it will have to go back for rework. It might be something as simple as a few paint scratches, but that requires repainting the car, or a portion of it. I'd rather see my car take a few extra days and get done right rather than get a buggy car. And it is the nature of manufacturing that there will always be some problems. The high quality companies just deal with the problems more effectively than those with shoddy reputations.

When you are shopping for plastic storage bins at the store, you don't see the ones that came out of production with holes, or malformed because the QA team culled them. The more complex the manufactured thing, the more time and effort it takes to fix. In the case of a plastic bin, they can just chuck the rejects back into the plastic melting machine and reuse the plastic, but that isn't the case with something complex like a car.

When I was a kid our across the street neighbor had a friend who worked at a fortune cookie factory and we once got a 30 gallon barrel of cookie rejects. They tasted fine, they were just malformed. I was only about 5 or 6, but I remember getting weirdly shaped fortune cookies from the barrel.

Production could also be hung up because a part is out of stock. On the Model X forum people who ordered cloth seats are up in arms because Tesla hasn't delivered an X with cloth seats in a couple of months. There are rumors Tesla had to find a new supplier.

Be glad Tesla doesn't have a disgruntled workforce. When I bought my last car (a 1992 Buick) I ordered a custom configuration and halfway through production they had a strike that lasted 6 weeks. I ordered the car in early February and didn't get it until late May. Various parts in the engine compartment have stickers like the old price stickers on them with the date they were installed. Half of them are early March 1992 and the rest are early May.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash

I still had a window open to My Tesla on a different computer. I had it right the first time: I was "Late May - June" and am now "June - Early July". Really only a 2-week delay after all.

Got this email today.. Does this indicate they are getting ready to start production? :) Did the other CA orders get this as well?

-jB1eXe4en5bSPMjetoqoIjGjjsIJqQlTtwiuq-QZ2-fJFZjaxxti96NIVGUIDRY35fU1sc178oZIxLQdC_yC1TqkwbkWPRiqoB4FPLXM9tzkLvuCk_IIeNQD7loLQ=s0-d-e1-ft

hdHDkjYPN46WKXi4HNGb_Kq5tnW_430746RG1redCfRNWND4X5AlZUMV7JKawaGyfnc_ZMOOGTHJeCivXrI9lW5J63DUKHxUEmNV32Kh3KN5FuPuLkehIVCuc18ysA=s0-d-e1-ft

Your custom built Model S is expected to be ready for delivery in June - Early July. This estimate may change due to factory production schedules and option availability. Your current estimated delivery window will always be visible in Mytesla

The Tesla Delivery Team is excited for you to begin your journey toward ownership and will be here every step of the way to help answer any questions. Now is a good time to verify your registration address and delivery preferences below. To make changes, follow the edit links to your My Tesla account.

I didn't receive this email and MyTesla is still showing Late May-June delivery estimate for me. Confirmed 4/27 - Taking delivery in Costa Mesa