Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100MPH in higher-end Porsche or AMG feels like 50MPH. 100MPH in any Tesla feels like 150MPH. I'm not sure this is a bad thing since our roads and speed limits are not compatable for the German cars. Plus, I'm tired of getting speeding tickets. I actually prefer to 'feel the speed' because I know I shouldn't be driving too fast. This is a good safety feature in the Tesla.

100MPH in higher-end Porsche or AMG feels like 50MPH. 100MPH in any Tesla feels like 150MPH.
I'm not questioning that this is true and will never go that fast on purpose.

Here in LA people routinely go 85 when the speed limit is 65. I never go above 70 or so. My thrill is from cornering, not speed. Good in the C5, not so good in the heavy MSLR.

What is the metric of feel ... what is felt? This must be at the drag strip?

So now the previous explanation of how the LR kept it's 405 EPA rated range is no longer valid since the tires are the same as the previous year. Also, why then did they lower the top speed???
That is what I was thinking too. Someone said it got new tires, unless Continental changed something with them. The range and the lower top speed make no sense then.

Disappointing Tesla changed nothing except the horn and hopefully better material for the Yoke or Steering wheel. They really need to stop being lazy and do a little more to get better. Competition is getting better and Tesla appears to be doing nothing new with Model S.

At least make a couple improvements every new model year. Can’t tell me nothing can be improved. Improve range even a little, offer top down view, front video camera, ambient lighting, etc…. All little changes to make the car even better. Add a little excitement Tesla!

I'm not questioning that this is true and will never go that fast on purpose.

Here in LA people routinely go 85 when the speed limit is 65. I never go above 70 or so. My thrill is from cornering, not speed. Good in the C5, not so good in the heavy MSLR.

What is the metric of feel ... what is felt? This must be at the drag strip?

My C5 Z51 weighed 3300 lbs with dedicated summer tires. It should easily out corner an MSP let alone an MLR with summer tires.

That is what I was thinking too. Someone said it got new tires, unless Continental changed something with them. The range and the lower top speed make no sense then.

Disappointing Tesla changed nothing except the horn and hopefully better material for the Yoke or Steering wheel. They really need to stop being lazy and do a little more to get better. Competition is getting better and Tesla appears to be doing nothing new with Model S.

At least make a couple improvements every new model year. Can’t tell me nothing can be improved. Improve range even a little, offer top down view, front video camera, ambient lighting, etc…. All little changes to make the car even better. Add a little excitement Tesla!

The other thing that doesn't jive either is that the MX difference between LR and Plaid is now only 9 miles 335 vs 326. Since this is the same platform as the S, it makes no sense that the S has a 37 mile difference vs 9 for the X.

Reactions: Septocaine
Is it the usual thing for inventory Teslas to be ruined by drilling holes in the front bumper in California? Even my MXP license plate holder which was not installed and in the frunk is attached with adhesive, not screws.
There is no Tesla that mounts the license-plate holder with holes through the bumper. Adhesive is used for that purpose. The only bolts used are vertical at the lower edge of the holder and cannot be seen if it is removed.

The other thing that doesn't jive either is that the MX difference between LR and Plaid is now only 9 miles 335 vs 326. Since this is the same platform as the S, it makes no sense that the S has a 37 mile difference vs 9 for the X.
I agree. It Definitely doesn’t make sense that the MSP range lowered that much. Obviously we’re all thinking maybe changes to the MSP besides just the horn. We can all hope.

Is it the usual thing for inventory Teslas to be ruined by drilling holes in the front bumper in California? Even my MXP license plate holder which was not installed and in the frunk is attached with adhesive, not screws.
Last years front license plates could be removed from the MS and they used adhesives. Are you sure they used bolts? I see them in the picture but could we be missing something here?

I agree. It Definitely doesn’t make sense that the MSP range lowered that much. Obviously we’re all thinking maybe changes to the MSP besides just the horn. We can all hope.

Last years front license plates could be removed from the MS and they used adhesives. Are you sure they used bolts? I see them in the picture but could we be missing something here?
Yeah, that's the normal license plate holder. Those bolts take it apart. They don't go into the bumper. It's still held on by adhesive. Comes right off with a heat gun and fishing line.

100MPH in higher-end Porsche or AMG feels like 50MPH. 100MPH in any Tesla feels like 150MPH. I'm not sure this is a bad thing since our roads and speed limits are not compatable for the German cars. Plus, I'm tired of getting speeding tickets. I actually prefer to 'feel the speed' because I know I shouldn't be driving too fast. This is a good safety feature in the Tesla.
I actually find 120+ feels surprisingly good in the Plaid. I don’t have much Porsche or amg seat time, but I was a BMW M guy before my Teslas

Reactions: zoomer0056
Track mode maybe? I believe the new rules are to test in all driving modes, and track mode does use considerably more energy.

Reactions: flyingfish28
Track mode maybe? I believe the new rules are to test in all driving modes, and track mode does use considerably more energy.

Good thought. Was mentioned in the thread I started in the main section as well. MXP doesn't have track mode. If the EPA is testing with this, it's really dumb as nobody will use track mode for regular street driving on long trips where range is important. MXP does have dragstrip mod though which also heats the battery and consumes tons of energy so I'd have expected the difference between MXP and MXLR to be more than 9 miles.

Reactions: Septocaine
Good thought. Was mentioned in the thread I started in the main section as well. MXP doesn't have track mode. If the EPA is testing with this, it's really dumb as nobody will use track mode for regular street driving on long trips where range is important. MXP does have dragstrip mod though which also heats the battery and consumes tons of energy so I'd have expected the difference between MXP and MXLR to be more than 9 miles.
LRs have drag strip mode too (at least they did before 2024)

Also can’t explain why they reduced the top speed on the S LR but not the X

Well, since you said “I don’t think anyone...” I’ll go ahead and say that I’ve been happy with service from the two service centers I’ve tried here in southwest Ohio and in one of these engagements the Service Manager Tim went considerably above and beyond. Still, in classic forum fashion, bitchers are more vocal. It is inescapable.
Things are reported to be much different in the Tesla Deserts back east.