Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've changed the terms, you just have to order by the end of the year, and take delivery when a matching vehicle is available, even if that goes into next year.
TSLA Pilot recently posted in another thread a link to a post on the Tesla website which states that one of the conditions is that at the time of your order you are given an expected delivery date prior to 12/31/23. So by today’s rules, you would want to order immediately to have the best chance of transferring your FUSC.

If your decision to upgrade to a new model is dependent upon FUSC transfer, order now. The website is showing “Nov-Dec 2023” for the expected delivery date for both LR and Plaid. I would take a screenshot of that along with a screenshot of the current term and order today. I ordered on 10/20 and am still seeing an EDD of 11/10-12/1.

Agree. It is what it is. I think the front bumper camera would be nice but not critical. I’ve never had a front bumper camera anyway so it wouldn’t change anything. My car only has one camera right now, so having all of these new cameras and blindspot, detection will be a huge upgrade. And to pass on extending free supercharging for many more years is tough to do. If I keep this car in another nine years, that will be 20 years of free long-distance travel. Not a bad deal.
My current truck is covered in cameras and sensors. I don't mind giving the parking sensors up because the Model S is so much smaller than a full size truck, however the front camera would be a very useful substitute. It's got me waffling back and forth on keeping my reservation. There is 0 chance they add it before the end of the calendar year as they are chasing a delivery number and won't change anything that could delay production.

But future pricing is a big consideration, making it a crap shoot. I'm not willing to pay a 5k price bump for a camera, but would definitely find myself annoyed if the camera shows up in Q2 and the pricing stays roughly stagnant.

Reactions: dsm363 and Phizzz
They could be coming next week, next year or not at all. I remember back in 2015 when the word was that Tesla’s heads-up display was “imminent.” I was bummed that my car wasn’t going to have it. Never happened.

That’s not to say that none of those things will happen. But you know what else could happen? The price could go back up anothe $10k or $20k. Like with iPhones, there’s always something new just around the corner. And if you wait for it every time, you’ll never buy the (arguably) most fantastic car on the planet.
Great points. Just want to make sure I'm making the best and most educated decision here in placing an order now. Which sounds like it. The price they're at now is hard to dismiss.

Tech in the new MSP is light-years above my Hellcat Charger so its not a deal breaker.

Reactions: dsm363
My current truck is covered in cameras and sensors. I don't mind giving the parking sensors up because the Model S is so much smaller than a full size truck, however the front camera would be a very useful substitute. It's got me waffling back and forth on keeping my reservation. There is 0 chance they add it before the end of the calendar year as they are chasing a delivery number and won't change anything that could delay production.

But future pricing is a big consideration, making it a crap shoot. I'm not willing to pay a 5k price bump for a camera, but would definitely find myself annoyed if the camera shows up in Q2 and the pricing stays roughly stagnant.
I'm in the same exact boat as you.

Good point. I waited probably 4 years for the car I wanted with 4680 cells. This doesn’t have that of course but knowing this nice feature is coming out very soon and if I wait I lose supercharging transfer isn’t great but better than prove going back up $5-10k.

And maybe there wiring is there to get ready for feature and I can pay to add it later.

I do not think a significant price bump will happen with the current interest rates.

Reactions: teko
Like with iPhones, there’s always something new just around the corner.
In fairness, iPhone release schedule is predictable so it’s easier to make an informed decision as to whether to upgrade now or wait. iPhones are of course a hell of a lot cheaper than cars too, so mistiming doesn’t carry as much consequence. iPhone price also doesn’t change at the whims of a madman.

I completely understand why people try to time these things. Especially since Tesla historically does not offer retrofits for the added features

Here it is guys. 2023 Model S LR, Stealth Grey. I picked it up this morning. Unfortunately, no new features (front camera, interior lighting, etc). I can post a few more pictures a bit later. I think the new paint looks stunning.
PXL_20231107_223454548.RAW-01.COVER5.jpg

Just got my VIN white on white Long range. I ordered end of october with estimated deliver end of this month. It is a 2023. I inquired about 2 week hold and was told this

“Hello, we can place your account on a one time 14 day hold. Once this hold expires your account will match to the next available vehicle. We cannot guarantee that this would be a 2024 model year as we typically do not start producing these until the last week or two of December and they often don't arrive until 2024. Please also keep in mind that these cars will be 100% identical as Tesla does not change features with model year. If you would like to place your account on hold please let us know. As a side note, we will not be able to provide an estimated window of when the next vehicle would be available until the account is eligible to match again.”

They also could not say if and when new updated features would come on new 2024s. I’m just going to take delivery. Now if I can just convince my wife to sell her 2017 Mercedes GLS and drive my 2020 model 3 and the 2020 MDX we have instead.

"Hello, we can place your account on a one time 14 day hold. Once this hold expires your account will match to the next available vehicle.
Interestingly, they do not say what happens after this second match happens. If you decline again, do they cancel and you lose $250? My assumption is yes, that has been their behavior historically when people play the "model year game". But interesting they do not say it outright.

Interestingly, they do not say what happens after this second match happens. If you decline again, do they cancel and you lose $250? My assumption is yes, that has been their behavior historically when people play the "model year game". But interesting they do not say it outright.
Yes, if you are unable to take delivery they cancel your order and you lose deposit. Unclear if there is then a penalty that prevents you from ordering a new one.