Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I’m not really sure how to respond other than AP meets my driving needs and that what Elon promised (repeatedly) was level 5 autonomy function (or at least level 4) with FSD.

And level 4/5 ain’t happening no time soon. Thus, it’s not for me.

People paid $10k with promises of “car will find a parking space and park itself” and “robotaxi service by end of 2019” and instead they got a tweet from the Ceo saying “FSD’s Smart Summon is really only a party trick”.

Nah. I’ll pass this time around and stick with AP

Fool me once…
I'm not disputing history or what you want or don't want, or even what you should buy. I'm just questioning your conclusions about when the car will be able to drive itself.

the fundamental problem with FSD is that its not tied to a user but to a car, say you spend 10K on FSD, two years later new model S comes with <insert awesome feature here>

Well, you just donated 10K to Elon because your FSD does not transfer over to your new car and you have to buy it again, and TSLA does not give you 10K extra for your trade-in. So unless someone plans on keeping their car for the life of the battery, then it's not worth it. Of course, unless your rich, and 10k is chump change.

@Phlier Don't forget Otto Lilienthal . Famous for being killed flying his glider invention. The Wrights took extraordinary risks, and I'm sure that they also had a test pilot or two die in their more advanced designs.

Ah here it is:
Code:
On September 17, Army lieutenant Thomas Selfridge rode along as his passenger, serving as an official 
observer. A few minutes into the flight at an altitude of about 100 feet (30 m), a propeller split and shattered, 
sending the Flyer out of control. Selfridge suffered a fractured skull in the crash and died that evening in the 
nearby Army hospital, becoming the first airplane crash fatality. Orville was badly injured, suffering a broken 
left leg and four broken ribs. Twelve years later, after he suffered increasingly severe pains, X-rays revealed 
the accident had also caused three hip bone fractures and a dislocated hip.

AA4FFBC1-00C7-42C3-936D-953F255F8E5C.jpeg
Got a VIN. Hopefully one of the last Battery day Plaid+ orders. Good thoughts for brother and sisters remaining.

Now that it is all clean , please post some pics....blue on white sounds interesting.
As requested! Couple exterior shots where you can kinda see the white seats w/ the blue, then a front interior shot (I didn't even think to grab more of the actual interior, but I can get a shot of the rear seats if there's interest too). Also threw in a shot of the front right wheel/tire for those interested in what rubber came with the 19".

Attachments

• s_front_right.jpg
    s_front_right.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 67
  • s_front_far.jpg
    s_front_far.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 70
  • s_left_side.jpg
    s_left_side.jpg
    779.5 KB · Views: 65
  • s_front_int.jpg
    s_front_int.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 63
  • s_wheel.jpg
    s_wheel.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 80
As requested! Couple exterior shots where you can kinda see the white seats w/ the blue, then a front interior shot (I didn't even think to grab more of the actual interior, but I can get a shot of the rear seats if there's interest too). Also threw in a shot of the front right wheel/tire for those interested in what rubber came with the 19".

Yeah, the white interior was the correct choice. 👌

Beautiful! But I'm biased because that's my exact build (minus one motor). That blue looks better in your photos than others, are the photos very true to life color?

I’m kinda partial to this color combo…looks great!

Awesome pictures, have a Blue/White LR coming soon so these images made my day - thank you!!

the fundamental problem with FSD is that its not tied to a user but to a car, say you spend 10K on FSD, two years later new model S comes with <insert awesome feature here>

Well, you just donated 10K to Elon because your FSD does not transfer over to your new car and you have to buy it again, and TSLA does not give you 10K extra for your trade-in. So unless someone plans on keeping their car for the life of the battery, then it's not worth it. Of course, unless your rich, and 10k is chump change.
Tell me an option that doesn't transfer to a new owner when you sell any car. Maybe you're lucky and get to keep some floor mats or something, but FSD is an option and does transfer to the new owner. As well, it does add value when that transfer happens. I know this for a fact because I did it with a 2021 pre-refesh S. It had FSD, I sold it to a wholesaler that was freaking out because he thought it wouldn't transfer. It did. That adds value to the car. I sold that car for MORE than I paid for it, so there was no loss associated with FSD. The exception being if Tesla re-aquires the car and removes FSD. Even then, the trade-in price that's agreed to by the seller should reflect some of the FSD cost.

I don't see it as a fundamental problem and I really cannot understand how anyone would think that buying FSD once would somehow entitle one to have it into perpetuity.

Now a value argument is a completely different argument and FSD I believe to certainly be debatable on that account.

Great combo! It reminds me of the blueberry/vanilla swirl Saf-T-Pops lollipops. Which isn't a bad thing. Ok, too much wine, I'll crawl back into my hole. I do dig the combo though in all seriousness.

Beautiful! But I'm biased because that's my exact build (minus one motor). That blue looks better in your photos than others, are the photos very true to life color?
I can only say I took those shots in full sun with an iPhone 13, but I didn't tweak the color/etc at all. I will say that it looked noticeably darker when I picked it up earlier in the day with overcast skies, so the lighting makes a huge difference.

I just don’t see any scenario where Tesla lowers the FSD price, other than if it becomes a complete flop and Tesla gives up on it. If FSD exits beta status it’s value will be huge, possibly more than the car itself as Elon has said.

IMO even in its current form that requires driver attention, it will be worth much more than $10k when it becomes reliable enough to deploy to the entire fleet of paying customers. Basically if FSD can navigate city streets with the same reliability of autopilot on highways it’s value would easily double.
I don't think this how things will play out. The price curve for tech tends to only go in one direction. Tesla is no the only game in town and it would be a mistake not think they have the market cornered on smart people. There are other autonomous driving stacks our there with varying levels of success. At the very least, even if Tesla has the most technologically advanced, the competition will introduce price pressure and undercut the premium FSD will get. Plus, history is full of cautionary tales about having the "best" technology does not always guarantee success in the marketplace.

I don't think this how things will play out. The price curve for tech tends to only go in one direction. Tesla is no the only game in town and it would be a mistake not think they have the market cornered on smart people. There are other autonomous driving stacks our there with varying levels of success. At the very least, even if Tesla has the most technologically advanced, the competition will introduce price pressure and undercut the premium FSD will get. Plus, history is full of cautionary tales about having the "best" technology does not always guarantee success in the marketplace.
Those are fair points and I agree for most tech that’s the case. Whenever there is competition the consumer wins as the price gets driven down to acquire customers.

However something as difficult to master as FSD doesn’t automatically fall into the same category as previous tech. I don’t think we’ll see multiple companies achieve it at the same time so there will not be any price competition for several years. The first company to mass produce a true self driving car will be able to name their price initially.

To your point once there are 2+ companies offering FSD the price will drop significantly. There are a lot of examples of novel tech products being rediculously expensive at first, then dropping significantly once other companies catch up.

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Is it normal for a VIN disappear after getting one?

Last week, I had a VIN which could be seen on the pdf document that could be downloaded.

Then, I got financing through Tesla. Once it was approved, and I uploaded insurance based on the VIN, the VIN is nowhere to be found. It says next step is “review documents”, but there is nothing yet there to review and the previous document is no longer there.

My EDD is Oct 25-Nov 2, which I assume will update tomorrow when Oct 25th passes.