Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tested this myself. Reporting 90.3kWh. I’ve no idea…

What is the ideal kWh to see here?
I haven’t tried Dynotest, but for sake of comparison, TesLAX (through CANserver) is reporting 97.0kWh full capacity on my Plaid, with a 4.4kWh buffer, so 92.6kWh usable:

FA909860-03C5-43A1-BE7F-7B354A5351FA.jpeg

I would take some of the data on these screens with a grain of salt. The SW for the rest of the car is a work-in-progess so there is no reason to believe the same is not true for the drag tools a well.
I hope you are right, but my concern is even when driving at sub 300wh/mi the battery consumption is massive. For example I did a 70mi drive at 290wh/mi and it consumed 30% of the range!

A 2 second 0-60 in under 150' is not pedestrian friendly either. Just sayin.
Absolutely not. Neither is a LR. Nor a 3. Nor a 4. Or a 5. If your point that anything that moves fast is potentially dangerous, that is true. MY point is that being blasted with 3+ tons of scaulding air is a whole new level, and one that will not be street legal.

Absolutely not. Neither is a LR. Nor a 3. Nor a 4. Or a 5. If your point that anything that moves fast is potentially dangerous, that is true. MY point is that being blasted with scaulding air is a whole new level, and one that will not be street legal.
"The thrusters won’t actually combust, according to Musk; instead, they will expel highly pressurized cold air"

Absolutely not. Neither is a LR. Nor a 3. Nor a 4. Or a 5. If your point that anything that moves fast is potentially dangerous, that is true. MY point is that being blasted with 3+ tons of scaulding air is a whole new level, and one that will not be street legal.
How about "cold" air thrusters planned for the Roadster 2.0?

Edit: Ansel beat me to it ;)

Yeah I meant to edit that lol. Still HIGHLY pressurized. Here is an example of what can happen when people are blasted. Keep in mind that these won't be as strong, but still:

That is an EXTREME exaggeration. Can I post examples of people getting hit by trains to show how dangerous a Plaid can be?

The cold air thrust is momentary, not a continuous blast. And not enough to propel a passenger jet.

Reactions: impastu
That is an EXTREME exaggeration. Can I post examples of people getting hit by trains to show how dangerous a Plaid can be?
O.M.G. Ok let's stop this before we get into a fight or something lol. Lemme tell ya: this is definitely just one of Elon's gimmicky things so he can say that it "hovers", but even still, this will not be street legal. Ya wanna know another thing that won't be legal? I can't confirm this for sure, but I pretty positive that it is not legal for a car manufacturer to sell a car with the ability to cover its license plate while moving. What Elon was saying about the license plate flipping up to allow bursts of air will likely not be legal.

The cold air thrust is momentary, not a continuous blast. And not enough to propel a passenger jet.
Let me phrase it a different way. Elon has said that it will provide about 3 tons of thrust. That's 29KN, which is just over half what some fighter jets make. These don't have to spool. It's instant. Even most articles that I've been reading on it think that it is unlikely that this will be street legal. Even Elon himself thinks it could only be for a limited time:

Can it be street legal if they geofence any sort of thruster capability for track use only?

There is a flip side to that coin. A lot of us who can't afford the Plaid bought the LR SPECIFICALLY because we get all the same experiences, minus some acceleration a spoiler, and some seat trim. I wonder if they sold more LR's this way, vs. alienating more people who would want uniqueness on their Plaid.
Truth- although I probably could afford it (and my wife said she just assumed I would go with the top model) I just cannot spend 6 figures on a car.

Can it be street legal if they geofence any sort of thruster capability for track use only?
Maybe. Depends on what the government thinks of it. They may determine that's its too dangerous, or what's more likely is that they will release it, and then they realize they effectively have a jet driving around, and kill it off there. Jets and rockets are isolated for a reason. They have been ever since their inception.

Exactly. Until someone tries to hover that thing and it drops back down and crushes someone's little kid.
All of these safety arguments can be legitimately applied to many things that are already legal. Anyone want to talk about guns? (just kidding. Don't make the moderator purge the conversation).

Seriously. We already have lethal versions of acceleration and speed. I doubt this will ever be legal, but I could definitely see it done with proper sensors and use. Sure, some idiot could kill someone with it, but wood chippers are still legal and they have been accidentally killing people forever.

Saying it can't be legal for safety reasons is a poor argument.

All of these safety arguments can be legitimately applied to many things that are already legal. Anyone want to talk about guns? (just kidding. Don't make the moderator purge the conversation).

Seriously. We already have lethal versions of acceleration and speed. I doubt this will ever be legal, but I could definitely see it done with proper sensors and use. Sure, some idiot could kill someone with it, but wood chippers are still legal and they have been accidentally killing people forever.

Saying it can't be legal for safety reasons is a poor argument.
That is true. What I was trying to say, and what I'm not sure you are truly grasping, is how drastic this is, even for a low volume niche car. There has never been a hopping car, or one that projects 3 tons of air behind it. It's a new level of dangerous. I can see it done also, (Elon's stubborn lol), but I cannot see it lasting. We seem to be kinda on the same page though, so that's good. :)

To anyone who has taken delivery, are the vents able to actually direct airflow? So does the air actually blow where you set it according to the screen? Just curious as I'd imagine the "invisible" vents limit this in ways.

Airflow is great. I have not found limitations yet.
I do not like how it turns off the pass side vent each time (for efficiency). I like having it blow up and it keeps the roof area from getting stale/hot.