Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first Mercedes I had with autosensing wipers I think was 2003. They may have introduced it a few years before that. The switch didn't really change, though. The first detent which used to be "slow" on older cars is now basically "auto".

And I don't remember exactly when we got 3-blink tap. The 2007 model I drive now does have it. I'm fairly certain my 2003 did also. And I know my 1994 did not. So somewhere in there.

Ok, on Audis it's a different setting that's why I asked. Thanks Todd, missed that. Here's to hoping we get the three blink tap. So far I've only seen german cars with them (then again, I've only driven American in Fords lately)

I really don't think the switchgear in the design studio reflects the final switches in the Model S. Because I was told, and I think others here have said this also, that the Model S will not have radar based cruise control. But the top stalk in the picture shows the dial for this.

I think someone said they might try to make it retrofittable. Perhaps they'll just leave the control for it in, so later they have to add less for those who retrofit it.

Ok, on Audis it's a different setting that's why I asked. Thanks Todd, missed that. Here's to hoping we get the three blink tap. So far I've only seen german cars with them (then again, I've only driven American in Fords lately)
The Chrysler 200 dealer loaner (so it's a stripper) my wife is currently driving has it. My 2006 Corvette had it. It seems to be a pretty common feature these days. I too would like to see it on Model S but I can live w/o it (Roadster doesn't have it).

3-blinks is a great feature. It can be implemented entirely in software, so I'm hoping that we'll see it eventually, even if not out the door.

I had that on my GTI, and in the software i believe I can change it anywhere from 2 - 5 blinks. Right now it is turned off though. I really like it most of the time but every now and then I look stupid r - r - r - l - l - l all while I stay in my lane.

I kind of like the buttons for drive, reverse..etc on the Roadster. Guess since this is a more mainstream car it makes sense to put it on the steering column.

NO, NO, NO! It makes almost no sense!

The stalks on the steering column are for operations you want to perform while driving. Having controls on the stalks near the steering column let you adjust things like windshield wipers or cruise control or stereo volume while not taking your eyes off the road.

When you're shifting into D or R or P you're not moving. You can easily and safely take your eyes off the road.

Save the stalks for "while driving" functions. Put PRND somewhere else where the driver can see it, but it doesn't need the prime real estate they've given it.

On my old 3-series, the wiper control was so handy I gave my windshield a wipe every now and then whether it needed it not. I assume Tesla won't shift while driving, but if it puts up the same message that the Roadster does, it'll be interesting to count how many times we try to shift our Model S when we didn't want to.

IMHO, this is bad ergonomics and Tesla should change it.

The stalks on the steering column are for operations you want to perform while driving. Having controls on the stalks near the steering column let you adjust things like windshield wipers or cruise control or stereo volume while not taking your eyes off the road.

When you're shifting into D or R or P you're not moving. You can easily and safely take your eyes off the road.
It's called the J-turn.:rolleyes:

Save the stalks for "while driving" functions. Put PRND somewhere else where the driver can see it, but it doesn't need the prime real estate they've given it.

On my old 3-series, the wiper control was so handy I gave my windshield a wipe every now and then whether it needed it not. I assume Tesla won't shift while driving, but if it puts up the same message that the Roadster does, it'll be interesting to count how many times we try to shift our Model S when we didn't want to.

IMHO, this is bad ergonomics and Tesla should change it.
I agree with you. I was just guessing as to why they moved it to the steering column. I like the buttons on the Roadster.

Path of least resistance if they're using Mercerdes stock parts?

Yup - one less thing to re-engineer. Hopefully, Model X and subsequent vehicles will have something Tesla-designed.

Anyone here have a Mercedes with this arrangement? If so, do you ever accidentally hit it while driving? I'd be especially interested to hear from AMG or owners who drive, shall we say, "spiritedly?"

Also, Tesla wanted an open center console by design, right? So, there's no place left to put PRND except on a steering stalk.

I know one could hit it by accident especially when switching from a different car to this one every so often (my wife's car has the wiper control in exactly the same spot - to the top right of the steering column) but, I like the simplicity of it.

BMW and Audi use that stalk position for the wiper. Having the PRND on the steering column makes me think of my Dad's old Dodge Darts which, like many cars of the 60s and 70s, had the gear-shift lever on the right side of the column.
DSC_0016ab.jpg

Wouldn't the car be smart enough to ignore a drive to reverse or park change while moving forward? Accidentally going into neutral wouldn't be great but but likely would be as dangerous. Maybe with the second version they'll go back to the buttons as you said.

The Mrs. has an ML with the shifter on the column. Very easy to use and gets in the way of nothing. Plenty of other column/wheel space to put those items needing access while driving. Haven't seen the Roadster to comment on the buttons, but if they are below the hazard button on the center console, it's pretty easy to see why they aren't that way on the S.