Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Dashboard and console controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tunnel's actually very brightly lighted. I'm not at all sure the headlights will recognize it as "dark". But we'll see!

If you're talking the one that's right before all the pocono exits (north of 78) I think you may be right. In the day time at least, I don't remember my lights going on because of how brightly-lit that tunnel is. As for the troopers, don't know how anal they are about lights in the tunnel, but I have seen them skulking about the tunnel exits -- presumably waiting to pick off speeders.

Just run your headlights "ON" all the time. That is my plan, and what I do now. Now all I have to do is figure out how to toggle the fog lamps with conditions.

Yah, it would be really interesting to see just what level of control is extended to voice. Also how good the voice detection is. BMW really bad, GM is really good. Most manufacturers are so limited, it becomes a useless feature, cause it saves no time to use your voice to change a radio station especially if you have to say it three times to get the right command and recognition.

So I swung by Santana Row today. VIN 29 or so is there but it's running the updated software. While the salespeople were busy talking to other customers I jumped in and started poking around the new interface. There's a "controls" section that now holds the Apps and has some other goodies. First thing I noticed is a 2-position setting for regen - Low and Normal. Next there were multiple steering selections - Comfort, Normal, Sport, etc. Also there was something about mirror tilt - hopefully that means the side mirrors will tilt down when you reverse to save those expensive wheels. There was also a "Jack" button near the 4-position height selector. I pressed it but since the car wasn't "On" nothing happened. Not sure if that will raise the car super/extra high to assist with jacking or what.

That's all I remember. Didn't get a chance to take any pics. Screens felt pretty responsive. Maps are a bit slow when you're scrolling around but they're even slow on my PC so I think it's a Google thing. Oh, maps did have traffic on them, not sure if that's new or not.

Salesperson did say they're hoping to get a Performance model in a couple weeks.

Strider did it have satellite radio working? I ask because I wonder if traffic will be tied to that or fetched via Internet.

So I swung by Santana Row today. VIN 29 or so is there but it's running the updated software. While the salespeople were busy talking to other customers I jumped in and started poking around the new interface. There's a "controls" section that now holds the Apps and has some other goodies. First thing I noticed is a 2-position setting for regen - Low and Normal. Next there were multiple steering selections - Comfort, Normal, Sport, etc. Also there was something about mirror tilt - hopefully that means the side mirrors will tilt down when you reverse to save those expensive wheels. There was also a "Jack" button near the 4-position height selector. I pressed it but since the car wasn't "On" nothing happened. Not sure if that will raise the car super/extra high to assist with jacking or what.

That's all I remember. Didn't get a chance to take any pics. Screens felt pretty responsive. Maps are a bit slow when you're scrolling around but they're even slow on my PC so I think it's a Google thing. Oh, maps did have traffic on them, not sure if that's new or not.

Salesperson did say they're hoping to get a Performance model in a couple weeks.

Great info Strider, thanks! I hope you are right about the side mirror tilt for reverse parking. Let's just say that my rims are not new anymore :wink:

Great info Strider, thanks! I hope you are right about the side mirror tilt for reverse parking. Let's just say that my rims are not new anymore :wink:

I for one hope that they implement some sort of virtual parking assist lines overlayed onto the backup camera image, similar to that in my Infiniti G. The lines reshape when you turn the steering wheel, telling you where your car will go as you back up.

It's so good / well implemented that it greatly reduces the need to use side-view mirrors. They also have an "overhead" view system using multiple cameras on the EX and larger CUVs which is apparently very intuitive, but I have not tried it.

I for one hope that they implement some sort of virtual parking assist lines overlayed onto the backup camera image, similar to that in my Infiniti G. The lines reshape when you turn the steering wheel, telling you where your car will go as you back up.

It's so good / well implemented that it greatly reduces the need to use side-view mirrors. They also have an "overhead" view system using multiple cameras on the EX and larger CUVs which is apparently very intuitive, but I have not tried it.

+1 on that!

Since we're apparently not going to get parking proximity sensors, parking assist lines on the LCD would be greatly appreciated and would cover many aspects of the proximity sensors' usage.

You'd think that a feature like that would be software, so even if it wasn't there on day 1 it is something they could deliver later.

/Mitch.

A few notes from my visit yesterday at Santana Row:
1. There will be definitely be a console accessory that fits in the hole.
2. The current controls may be expanded or reduced. Some controls currently on the dash may disappear.
3. Pushing the roller knobs on the steering wheels changes what functions are shown on the dash.

No idea. She (Oriana Rosenthal) did indicate that there was work to be done on the surround for the touchscreen -- e.g., there're no USB ports. She confirmed that the back-seat USBs are definitely gone, even with the Tech Package. I continue to think that Tesla believes that we will be transporting only monks during their Lenten observances in the back seat.:mad:

I stopped by the Bellevue Store and sat in VIN # 46 with updated firmware. There was an owners manual built into the touch screen, so I scanned through it. It's still a work in progress, but there were some interesting things I ran across. If you have the power lift gate, it appears as if you will be able to customize the opening height. The key fob will be able to open the trunk, Frunk as well as all the windows. It will also be able to close the rear power lift gate and the windows. The screen has customizations for how the door locks can be opened. There was an option for multiple unlock (So for those who are security conscious, you can probably set it to only open up the driver's side door or open up all the doors of the car). The onboard manual appears to confirm that there will be a sealed 12 volt battery that will run the car subsystems.

Through the touch screen you can control the regen level (low or normal), there are settings for different steering modes, you can turn traction control on or off, you can adjust the height of the car (with the air suspension), there are adjustments to the night time brightness on the touch screen, controls to adjust the exterior lights (auto, manual, Daytime running etc.). So it seems as if Tesla is listening to us and basically giving us full control of the car to tweak to our individual likings, down to the height of the power lift gate! You can toggle between Kilometers and Miles, Fahrenheit and Celsius, 12hr or 24hr. You can access to two trip odometers that have energy information and mileage information. You can still do all the other stuff we're familiar with (open pano roof, charge port etc.).

I was impressed with the improvement also in the responsiveness of the screen from earlier firmware versions. The pinch to zoom function works much better in the browser now. Also the scrolling and navigating around the Google map view was much improved. Downloading of the map screens and browser screens also seemed much quicker. So I'm very pleased with the progress I saw in the controls with this firmware version and am confident that the production version of the console control screen will be all that we hope for and more. Didn't poke around the music section much as I was more interested in the car controls and reading through the onboard manual.

I don't know if we will have easy access to it in the production versions, but I was able to poke around the developers screens and there were even more settings in there that gave even more control as well as access to interesting diagnostic screens. It did seem as if there were some settings in there that would be a bit scary for the public to have access to though!

@Blurry_Eyed: great update; thanks. I was explicitly told at Santana Row that some of the control screens that were accessible on VIN # 46 will be not be available on production -- presumably, the developer screens will be shut down.

@Blurry_Eyed: great update; thanks. I was explicitly told at Santana Row that some of the control screens that were accessible on VIN # 46 will be not be available on production -- presumably, the developer screens will be shut down.

... until someone awesome finds out HOW to get to them. :biggrin: