Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Body Refresh Coming in Sept/Oct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mragone, I'm completely with you. I test drove the 70D first (last week). I was not that impressed with its acceleration - honestly. However, I haven't driven the 85D. If I do, I'm probably going to insist on getting it - but do I really need that extra speed? But do I need that speed & extra range? But do I really need that extra speed, extra range, and faster SC charging? ????

At this point, I'm leaning towards a loaded 70D rather than a lesser optioned 85D.

Thanks for your feedback chriSharek. I'm sold on making the purchase now and agree with much of the feedback provided in this thread. I am eager to learn more about your comment related your impression on acceleration. I think 0-60mi/100km in 5.2 seconds is pretty fast. I drove the 85D and P85D and was really impressed with both, but did not have the opportunity to drive the 70D. Can anyone comment who has driven both the 70D and 85D?

Thanks for your feedback chriSharek. I'm sold on making the purchase now and agree with much of the feedback provided in this thread. I am eager to learn more about your comment related your impression on acceleration. I think 0-60mi/100km in 5.2 seconds is pretty fast. I drove the 85D and P85D and was really impressed with both, but did not have the opportunity to drive the 70D. Can anyone comment who has driven both the 70D and 85D?

I have driven them both, and ended up switching my order from an 85D to the 70D once I did that. My performance needs/interests are not as intense as many who are attracted to the MS. I am merely looking for the world's coolest/best/most comfortable daily driver. The 70D covers that nicely, and with the supercharger and other upgrades there is no penalty (the way I would use the car) versus the 85D. The diff in price made it more psychologically palatable along the way.

As many others have said, you cannot make a mistake ordering the Model S. Just get comfy with your choice then don't look back. Best of luck to you.

My decision point was both financial and want. I wanted the car and don't need the car. I was originally set on a 5 series BMW, but wanted a cooler car. The model S is unique and still rare to see in parts of the country. I like being a one off and that was enough to justify the cost of the 70D.

The price was okay but still extravagant and is solely based on want. Let's be frank, we are as owners ALL fortunate to have the means to purchase such a vehicle and all owners can be proud of their Model S.

Does anyone think the Model S will be getting a body design refresh with the launch of the Model X? I am starting to see more aftermarket styling kits becoming available. There are a lot of Model S out there and I would like to have different levels of body styles similar to the M-Series, AMG, F-type, etc. I am holding off on getting the P85D until the launch of the Model X hoping they will have a more aggressive body style. Wondering if that is what Elon is referring to when he said the P85D 2.8-2.9 0-60.? Thoughts?

Does anyone think the Model S will be getting a body design refresh with the launch of the Model X? I am starting to see more aftermarket styling kits becoming available. There are a lot of Model S out there and I would like to have different levels of body styles similar to the M-Series, AMG, F-type, etc. I am holding off on getting the P85D until the launch of the Model X hoping they will have a more aggressive body style. Wondering if that is what Elon is referring to when he said the P85D 2.8-2.9 0-60.? Thoughts?

It's been shipping for barely three years. Personally (based on nothing) I wouldn't expect a style change for another year at least. For one thing, I don't think they can afford the line disruption.

Also Elon and the 2.8 thing is seriously being blown out of proportion. I think he was just spitballing on Twitter. In any case it certainly doesn't seem relevant to a body change.

Yes, there is a new Model S body style coming and it's the Model X :)

Seriously I think they have their hands full with getting the Model X out to have resources to announce a new body refresh for the Model S. If anything I think we might (and we should) see a larger capacity battery this or next year.

The MS doesn't need a refresh. It's perfect the way it is.

I could see them adding things like turn signal indicators to the side mirrors or even a 360 camera view which I would kill to get back. Have it in my Infiniti and not having it in the MS is a major bummer.

a 360 camera view which I would kill to get back. Have it in my Infiniti and not having it in the MS is a major bummer.
ugh tell me about it!

I agree that Tesla has their hands full with the X, but i think a refresh should be done in the near future with a redesign in 3 or so years. Cars need to evolve, even nice ones or else the 1950 corvette (or insert whatever old car you like) would still be the current body style. Current owners on the boar tend to be all "It's fine the way it is dont change it, bc then i'll have the old Tesla!" Future owners want a newer model not the 3 year old design, and no one wants to be the last one to get the old body style.

And Tesla doesn't want people to stop ordering their cars while waiting for the new body/feature to come out. The more heads up they give the more deadtime leading up to production of the new model s.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll see any design changes to the Model S before 2018 or 2019. As many have said, they are putting all of their resources into FINALLY getting the Model X completed. Then, there's the little thing called the Model 3 that's supposed to be the mass production car for Tesla, so all of their resources will go into getting that done. They said 2017 delivery for Model 3, based on Model X history and the fact that they haven't even built a Model 3 prototype yet, I'd say it won't be out until 2018 or 2019. Then I think they could start working on the next Model S. Seven or Eight years between models is on the lengthy end of a body style, but not out of the ordinary for high end cars. Corvettes typically go 7-9 years. Porsche looks the same as it did in the 1950's. Have they changed the look of the Panamera yet? Tesla is a great company, but with as small as they are, everything takes 2-3 times as long as it would for a large manufacturer, at least when it comes to major changes.

Let's not forget that there's still less than 100,000 MS's on US roads today and even with sales growth there will still be far less then half a million a few years from now. Calendar years aside, the volumes just wouldn't warrant a body refresh. And besides, if they keep switching up the paint colors it'll almost be like a new body style.

With the focus on the new models and with continual software releases, I think potential owners are going to be more than happy with Tesla offerings for years to come.

Why??
Several points first, Half Dollar Bill stated changing colors keeps the Model S fresh, and it does, with lest then a 100,000 units out there... Then Mr. Musk with options like "D"... "Auto Pilot" it keeps Model S the car of the future without having to alter a beautiful designed auto..

Jp

In much of the US, the car is pretty rare. Hardly seems like there's a need to re-fresh a car many haven't seen in person yet.

Nevermind that the design team is likely working full-out on the Model 3. There's no free time to putter with a refresh of the S.

I would imagine that we might see interior tweaks (and I stress tweaks) with the X introduction, but even that might not be likely. What is more likely is that a refresh (whether interior only or interior + exterior) would happen with the the 3 release and would be common components shared across the S3X platform.

I hope they do at least 8 years (or longer) like Benz. One of the reasons I convinced myself to get the S was cuz I believed, being such a small company, and given the pattern of delays, and their preoccupation with the C and the 3 it would be unlikely they'd change the body too soon. I was a little worried reading the thread title that there had been some indication this was coming (no I won't sue if they do change it lol)

I do agree they should have a pronounced performance variant. Same basic design, but have something to make the P85D standout. I know this has been discussed on here before.

I figured since they already have to re-gear the die presses for the Model X they would include the Model S styling as well. Like everyone else, still waiting to see the production look of the X. I agree it is a bit to early for the battery upgrades. I am fine with the 85 for now but would like to trade up this year to get another tax rebate. I am hoping for a little more aggressive look for the P85D. Interior upgrades are developing slowly as well. I would like to see back seat controls and a new center console option. My center console floor mat is so gross from all of the spills. The cup holder on the arm rest is bad placement for me. I need one on the floor.

A mid model refresh is usually planned in to inject new life into a model that will typcially be seeing sales figures slipping after first couple of years.

Not happening with the S, so no refresh (and the design team busy on X and 3).
We will still see ongoing updates though, even significant ones such as NVidia Drive PX (before or after Model X release is unknown), but these will just be rolling changes like everything to date, not a major restyling.

I don't think they'll do anything significant to the styling until the Model 3 is released. They might tweak around the edges, change the nose cone, get rid of the side mirrors, that sort of thing. And I would fully expect that they will make internal improvements, such as changing the sensor package for the autopilot.