Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S 75 (RWD) leftovers now showing as 5.4 0-60 vs 4.3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly it isn't us, it's every time I take it to the car wash or any other place that someone gets in my car. They leave finger prints or smudges everywhere. Even had one younger guy bump his entire greasy head on the headliner. No matter how much they tried to clean it, only made it worse.

If I can find an instructional video, I'm planning to remove the entire headliner out and paint it charcoal grey. I've done this before, but those cars just had clips holding in the headliner.
@Qbenjamin , I started a thread to replace my light alcantara headliner with a dark one...haven't really gone anywhere, but many helpful replies...
Headliner - can this be replaced? Regret not getting dark headliner

if you are still interested, we can continue the research there...

I've been hearing a lot about this and am starting to get worried. My car was built in early August, after the hardware/software upgrade which should have occurred July 1st (if I'm not mistaken). My OA confirmed the car does 0-60 in ~4.2 seconds (which I saw on the portal while ordering as well) so needless to say I will be VERY pissed off if the car does not come as advertised.

@nigelsilva how can we get a proper clarification on this?

Does a petition by owners affected work?

I'm not sure, my honest guess is that since the hardware and software upgrade that lead to the increased 0-60 was released around July 1st, ALL S75s built after that should in theory go from 0-60 in 4.2/4.3 seconds. It's a little bit frustrating that we can't get any info on this, but it makes sense since they've discontinued the model. As far as a petition I doubt it will get anywhere, it seems like it's very difficult to get a consistent answer from them regarding this. I'll update here when I receive my car and let you guys know! I can post an acceleration video to try and get a time estimate also.

UPDATE: I texted my OA to try and get a more definitive response regarding the 0-60 times on any RWD 75 produced after the July hardware/software upgrade.

Last edited:
@nigelsilva thanks for your message but you saw the picture I posted from 4 different Tesla sites at the same time. They show two different acceleration speed. I cannot believe or perhaps I should say I don't want to believe a company like them are so incompetence that cannot keep things right. If it was a problem of site functionality, I could understand but this is issue of content and content should come from one source.

For me the whole idea of having base model was the difference in price for extra performance I did not need (a difference of 1.6 sec acceleration at 4.3 s instead of 2.7s).

One other issue I noticed was the range of cars with RWD was longer than dual motors. When I ask the Tesla rep, his explanation was since the RWD cars had only one motor with the same battery, they were using less electricity therefore their range was a few miles more than the dual motors. But now if you look at the inventory list they have the RWD cars have less range than Dual motors!!!

I wish Tesla had some rep here in this forum who could give some explanations or answers to these kind of questions.

If you get anything from your rep please do share it with us.

Thank you

Cheers

@nigelsilva thanks for your message but you saw the picture I posted from 4 different Tesla sites at the same time. They show two different acceleration speed. I cannot believe or perhaps I should say I don't want to believe a company like them are so incompetence that cannot keep things right. If it was a problem of site functionality, I could understand but this is issue of content and content should come from one source.

For me the whole idea of having base model was the difference in price for extra performance I did not need (a difference of 1.6 sec acceleration at 4.3 s instead of 2.7s).

One other issue I noticed was the range of cars with RWD was longer than dual motors. When I ask the Tesla rep, his explanation was since the RWD cars had only one motor with the same battery, they were using less electricity therefore their range was a few miles more than the dual motors. But now if you look at the inventory list they have the RWD cars have less range than Dual motors!!!

I wish Tesla had some rep here in this forum who could give some explanations or answers to these kind of questions.

If you get anything from your rep please do share it with us.

Thank you

Cheers

Just received confirmation from my rep that the car I ordered (Model S 75 RWD, Built early August) will have the 0-60 upgrade to 4.3 seconds applied at the service center before I take delivery. I will confirm this with the Raleigh SC when I fly up. I'm not sure why it would display differently on the website, but at this point it looks like no info on the 75 is available. As far as range, it's my understanding that RWD cars in general are more efficient than AWD (due to the added weight of an AWD system), however this may not apply to Tesla due to the dual motor setup. The weight of an extra motor may or may not be significant enough to affect a few miles of range, however I am speculating.

Regarding purchasing a base model I agree, I bought the 75 knowing it is still very quick, and faster than most other cars on the road.

Reactions: Gt1948
Just received confirmation from my rep that the car I ordered (Model S 75 RWD, Built early August) will have the 0-60 upgrade to 4.3 seconds applied at the service center before I take delivery. I will confirm this with the Raleigh SC when I fly up. I'm not sure why it would display differently on the website, but at this point it looks like no info on the 75 is available. As far as range, it's my understanding that RWD cars in general are more efficient than AWD (due to the added weight of an AWD system), however this may not apply to Tesla due to the dual motor setup. The weight of an extra motor may or may not be significant enough to affect a few miles of range, however I am speculating.

Thank you for the update. Well for range if you check current inventories (there is no more RWD) you will see RWD have lower range than the AWD or Dual motors! Surprisingly AWD 0 - 60 acceleration is now showing at 5.7s. What is going on here??

Yes, I just bought my 75D partially because the range of the AWD cars is greater. I'm not sure why they would have posted a RWD with a greater range - have always read and heard the opposite.

It seems to be quite a crap shoot on what cars will be uncorked. I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of mine as it isn't really clear whether all AWD cars will have the upgrade or not!

Keeps things interesting...

Thank you for the update. Well for range if you check current inventories (there is no more RWD) you will see RWD have lower range than the AWD or Dual motors! Surprisingly AWD 0 - 60 acceleration is now showing at 5.7s. What is going on here??

Where did you see it reported as 5.7s? I just checked the website and it states that new 75Ds do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. My rep mentioned that RWD was 0.1 second (negligible) slower to 60. I didn't see ANY new/used 75kWh batteries in the online portal. (They exist, the only people that have access are owner-advisors obviously).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 5.48.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-23 at 5.48.10 PM.png
    183 KB · Views: 137
It looks like all the S75 RWD are now listed as 5.5 seconds 0-60 on Tesla's website. The highest S75 RWD VIN I found just now is 231382, which I believe is likely around a late October early November 2017 build date. I still think they could uncork all S75 RWD just like the 75D cars if they wanted to.

It looks like all the S75 RWD are now listed as 5.5 seconds 0-60 on Tesla's website. The highest S75 RWD VIN I found just now is 231382, which I believe is likely around a late October early November 2017 build date. I still think they could uncork all S75 RWD just like the 75D cars if they wanted to.

Where are you seeing any S 75s on the website? I can't find info on them anywhere, but it was confirmed that 0-60 is actually 4.3 seconds I believe.

Reactions: Lodo1000
Thanks guys. If you go to the bottom of Tesla website where there is an American flag and click on it, you can change the country. Now if you choose for example UK or France or Switzerland, the site changes to that local market. Then you can go to their inventory list and can see lots of Model S RWD and of course Dual motor.

My whole discussion was that Tesla site has different information in different locations. I also said that my car had indeed the upgrade for 4.3 or 4.4 s. But since last on air update with introduction of easy access and Chill drive, I feel the car is slower in standard mode let alone chill mode.

The picture I posted earlier was taken from different Tesla sites and it is clear the 5.7 s etc...

As for RWD and AWD and their range, that was the numbers before. I said in my post above, apparently they now changed it. Unfortunately I did not take screenshots at the time as the explanation of the rep was very clear to me. He did not say both motors were changed in AWD. He said the AWD had one extra smaller motor in front otherwise the rear motor was the same and that was the reason it had lower range than the RWD. There are several youtube videos showing the new AWD has a smaller motor in front and the rear motor is the same.

If this is correct, then the only reason I can think of is that Tesla deliberately has made modifications to its car by onair update to make RWD less efficient than the AWD. This is very easy for them to change the range. You all remember what they did for Florida hurricane a few months ago and extended range for Tesla owners! So bottom line is that for marketing their product, they should make each upgraded version more efficient than the others. P100D better than 100D and 100D better than 75D and on...

If a S75 RWD can accelerate from 0 to 60 in 4.4 second and can drive over 300 miles and AWD can do 4.3 and do 295 miles and the difference between their price is 6 or 7 thousand dollars, which one would you choose?

What amazes me (don't take me wrong, I am a big fan of Tesla) is how a company like VW has to be fined for abusing the software on board to show less pollution but Tesla has no regulatory body to monitor them and not let them change things as they please. If I am sold a car with 4.4 acceleration and over 300 miles range etc... I should be able to get it. don't you guys agree to this?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. If you go to the bottom of Tesla website where there is an American flag and click on it, you can change the country. Now if you choose for example UK or France or Switzerland, the site changes to that local market. Then you can go to their inventory list and can see lots of Model S RWD and of course Dual motor.

My whole discussion was that Tesla site has different information in different locations. I also said that my car had indeed the upgrade for 4.3 or 4.4 s. But since last on air update with introduction of easy access and Chill drive, I feel the car is slower in standard mode let alone chill mode.

The picture I posted earlier was taken from different Tesla sites and it is clear the 5.7 s etc...

As for RWD and AWD and their range, that was the numbers before. I said in my post above, apparently they now changed it. Unfortunately I did not take screenshots at the time as the explanation of the rep was very clear to me. He did not say both motors were changed in AWD. He said the AWD had one extra smaller motor in front otherwise the rear motor was the same and that was the reason it had lower range than the RWD. There are several youtube videos showing the new AWD has a smaller motor in front and the rear motor is the same.

If this is correct, then the only reason I can think of is that Tesla deliberately has made modifications to its car by onair update to make RWD less efficient than the AWD. This is very easy for them to change the range. You all remember what they did for Florida hurricane a few months ago and extended range for Tesla owners! So bottom line is that for marketing their product, they should make each upgraded version more efficient than the others. P100D better than 100D and 100D better than 75D and on...

If a S75 RWD can accelerate from 0 to 60 in 4.4 second and can drive over 300 miles and AWD can do 4.3 and do 295 miles and the difference between their price is 6 or 7 thousand dollars, which one would you choose?

What amazes me (don't take me wrong, I am a big fan of Tesla) is how a company like VW has to be fined for abusing the software on board to show less pollution but Tesla has no regulatory body to monitor them and not let them change things as they please. If I am sold a car with 4.4 acceleration and over 300 miles range etc... I should be able to get it. don't you guys agree to this?
The S75 RWD has one large motor in the rear. The 75D has one small motor in the front and another small motor in the rear. The AWD is rated for higher efficiency since they claim they can get more efficiency by using the motors in tandem with each other more efficiently than a single motor in the rear, thus the S75D is rated for 10 more miles of range than the S75 RWD.