Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model LS V8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, it's possible, but again, I don't like being tethered to a charger. It's not just the time to charge its also the time to get to and from a supercharger. 1000 miles doesn't even seem possible.
@Bighorn just covered 9,822 miles in 8.87 days; 1,107 miles per day. 1,000 miles per day is very possible.

• Love
Reactions: Big Earl
Naysayer I am, I've been around this for quite awhile. You conveniently glossed over how you'd tune the TESLA, not the LS4. Tuning the LS4 is easy, tuning the Tesla to work with or even around the LS4 is likely impossible.

Fit and weight are a different issue. Where does the trans sit? How do you plan on getting the converter to put power to the front wheels? What axle are you going to use that has the same stance and can hold the weight of a tesla? I don't need to research anything, I know it can't be done without extensive custom fabrication and even then you're rolling the dice that the cars systems would work together.

What do you mean "rebuilt"? 12k into a rebuild is nothing, thats like a door skin a hood a bumper and some paint. Ever dropped the battery? Do you have access to toolbox or someone who can root and provide you toolbox?

Unfortunately your post reads like a teenager, so I'm not sure how serious you really are. I could tell you endless facts about the workings of this vehicle, I've been dealing with the nightmare that is my 2013 Tesla for far too long. I've had it apart countless times, bricked in my garage for weeks, 3+ DU failures, rooted for many years, door handles, DCDC converters, a T-bone wreck, machined my own arms to correct rear camber. I'd trust maybe 3-4 people on the planet currently to do a swap like you're talking about, one of them is doing HALF of it on youtube already. The other person did the other half (gas to tesla EV).

I don't believe what you want to do is feasible. So by all means, go do it and stop asking what people would pay for it.
Well your posts sound like they were written by a crotchety old man! I don't usually trade insults, but this more of an observation than an insult.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
(Get home charging + Get work charging + Stop at the supercharger for 15 minutes a day, or as needed) == (Saving $30k + ruining a perfectly good vehicle)

Driving a 400 mile commute in an ICE would probably have you visiting a gas station at least once a day. You could *almost* make it in a stock M3 LR if hypermiling.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well, I really think traction control on the ICE is going to be manual. Which sounds like fun to be honest. I've considered that the Tesla system might give more power to the rear wheels if senses the front wheels spinning faster. That could be interesting! I think the stability control will simply act on the gyro and acceleration and be fine.
you do realize you'll need to write software or make hardware to emulate a front motor if you plan on using the Tesla MCU still?
possible but PITA unless your a EE/programmer type I 'd think...in that case do it! would be interesting at least

for range. or practicality. just No

This is the weirdest and most impractical proposal I've ever heard. You're going to wedge an LS4, and a transmission, and a radiator, and another battery, and a fuel tank in the frunk of a Model S? And then somehow rig up the control system so the gas pedal controls both the LS4 and the rear electric motor? Have you even looked at the sizes of the car or the components you're talking about? How would you ever make the controls work?

Reactions: wooter and Big Earl
I’m good with all this as long as you cut in a gigantic hood scoop.

Attachments

• 866A0F7C-0101-45AD-BAC0-71A9885C27BB.jpeg
    866A0F7C-0101-45AD-BAC0-71A9885C27BB.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Funny
Reactions: gavine and DavidB
I see two ways to make this a bit easier. Limit yourself to 50kW / 70 HP and use it through-the-road to drive the rear wheels to charge using regen. This solves your charging complaints and simplifies the controls to a steady predictable use.

the other way is to control the front gas engine using an accelerometer and don’t try to hack the Tesla controls at all. High acceleration (front to back) would trigger full gas power. Deceleration causes it to go to shut down/ neutral. That leaves the dsc, abs, etc fully functional.

you do realize you'll need to write software or make hardware to emulate a front motor if you plan on using the Tesla MCU still?
possible but PITA unless your a EE/programmer type I 'd think...in that case do it! would be interesting at least

for range. or practicality. just No
I believe I can trick in into thinking it's a single drive car. I have the programming resources to program it as a single drive car. I think it will just be a matter of wiring it accordingly.

This is the weirdest and most impractical proposal I've ever heard. You're going to wedge an LS4, and a transmission, and a radiator, and another battery, and a fuel tank in the frunk of a Model S? And then somehow rig up the control system so the gas pedal controls both the LS4 and the rear electric motor? Have you even looked at the sizes of the car or the components you're talking about? How would you ever make the controls work?
Please do, he might be able to help, or talk me out of it!

I see two ways to make this a bit easier. Limit yourself to 50kW / 70 HP and use it through-the-road to drive the rear wheels to charge using regen. This solves your charging complaints and simplifies the controls to a steady predictable use.

the other way is to control the front gas engine using an accelerometer and don’t try to hack the Tesla controls at all. High acceleration (front to back) would trigger full gas power. Deceleration causes it to go to shut down/ neutral. That leaves the dsc, abs, etc fully functional.
I do intend to regen through the road. Interesting idea on the accelerometer. But I dont really intend the two systems to interact except "through the road" let's call it drag mode. Which one way I intend to use it. Of course the other way I intend to use it is at the drag strip. So I guess we have two drag modes. Lol