Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Trailing Towing and Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DF2939BA-BD3B-4BCE-B02C-843245DC4EA4.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I toy with the idea of owning a T@G, or even a small utility trailer (Space Trailer) that I can pull behind the 3. Leaning more towards the utility trailer, since I could use it both for camping, and to haul gear to the track, AND have the family come with.

Can you share the average speeds you were driving and how the car felt at highway speeds? The one thing I'm not fond of, is driving along at 55-60 MPH because I've got a trailer behind me...

View attachment 457966
Yes. We typically charged overnight at RV parks, then arranged our lunch stop near a supercharger. Here’s my trip odometer

Edit. Sorry, having trouble uploading the screen grab.
Over 8055 miles, the average was 445 Wh/mi.

Thanks for the info! You were saying before you got about 75% of your usual range towing your T@G but your average for the trip was 455 which would be more like 53%. Could you elaborate there? I've got the MR and my mind is currently all obsessed with getting a tiny teardrop camper the same dimensions and weight as your T@G. I know we can tow it just fine with our Outback but I'd absolutely love to know I can do major camping trips with it towed behind the 3!

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I toy with the idea of owning a T@G, or even a small utility trailer (Space Trailer) that I can pull behind the 3. Leaning more towards the utility trailer, since I could use it both for camping, and to haul gear to the track, AND have the family come with.

Can you share the average speeds you were driving and how the car felt at highway speeds? The one thing I'm not fond of, is driving along at 55-60 MPH because I've got a trailer behind me...

I grew up in a camping family so going 55-60 while towing is pretty par for the course. If you've got a really nice diesel truck towing well under its capacity you still don't want to go much past 65 because you just can't trust trailer tires these days to be built well enough to not explode with the higher temps involved at faster speeds than that. My parents had that happen to them with one of their 5th wheels spending too much time at 70. Keep it at 60 and I've got more peace of mind that less is going to go wrong. Even then invest in some wireless TPM system for your trailer tires.

And the best way to do a camping trip is to take your time and sight see as much as you can along the way. When we go from MN to MT we like to take 3 or 4 days if we're in an RV. I can get to Billings in a single day by car if I had to but that sucks. Instead, you stop at Mitchell, SD the first night, on to Badlands and Black hills the second day. Lunch at Devil's Tower the next day and spend the night in either Buffalo or Sheridan and then you finally get into MT.

Thanks for the info! You were saying before you got about 75% of your usual range towing your T@G but your average for the trip was 455 which would be more like 53%. Could you elaborate there? I've got the MR and my mind is currently all obsessed with getting a tiny teardrop camper the same dimensions and weight as your T@G. I know we can tow it just fine with our Outback but I'd absolutely love to know I can do major camping trips with it towed behind the 3!

Sure. In the beginning of the trip, we were very cautious, as we were new to the car, and even newer to towing. We got great range, because we were doing 55 mph. As we gained experience and confidence, we started pushing the envelope a bit. By the end of the trip we felt comfortable enough managing the range, so we would drive much faster. Speed affects aerodynamics dramatically, so we ended up being very inefficient during the latter portion of the trip.

To get best range, combine lower speeds with low drag. Our teardrop is six feet wide, but if a five foot width works for you, then you will cut a bunch of drag. Keeping speeds down will make a big difference as well.

To get best range, combine lower speeds with low drag. Our teardrop is six feet wide, but if a five foot width works for you, then you will cut a bunch of drag. Keeping speeds down will make a big difference as well.

I've heard that before about the width of a teardrop making a huge difference with drag. I am thinking of something no wider than 5ft, in fact. Eventually I want to replace my wife's Outback with the Y but that's going to be a few years away and that will certainly be the new tow vehicle. I figure if I can get a teardrop to work towing behind a MR 3 then we'll be more than set for towing one behind a LR Y. On top of that more and more Superchargers are being built and the issue of range becomes less and less over time.

Thanks for the info! Nice looking trailer, too. I'm still shopping and on the fence about buying vs building. My wife is really strict about not spending too much but finding one cheap is turning out to be a struggle. They're just a bit too popular right now.

I've heard that before about the width of a teardrop making a huge difference with drag. I am thinking of something no wider than 5ft, in fact. Eventually I want to replace my wife's Outback with the Y but that's going to be a few years away and that will certainly be the new tow vehicle. I figure if I can get a teardrop to work towing behind a MR 3 then we'll be more than set for towing one behind a LR Y. On top of that more and more Superchargers are being built and the issue of range becomes less and less over time.

Thanks for the info! Nice looking trailer, too. I'm still shopping and on the fence about buying vs building. My wife is really strict about not spending too much but finding one cheap is turning out to be a struggle. They're just a bit too popular right now.

Yes, the width makes a difference. Ours is a six foot, which we love. I am sure a five foot would get better range.