Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Timeline (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the traditional automobile manufacturers might be placed to make cosmetic change to a car that was already due for as mid season refresh to make them look more like a Tesla product.

There are also those Asian manufacturers who are adept at copying exteriors of vehicles, if not their precise mechanicals.

Certain design aspects of the Model S exterior are definite nods to Jaguar, Aston-Martin, and Maserati. Since everyone else in the automotive industry has been 'stealing' those same styling cues for decades, it's hard to identify someone who might intentionally 'copy' Model S. Those ideas are essentially in the public domain now. I am certain that Model ≡ will not be generic, boring, plain, or ordinary. Perfect examples of that were the Oldsmobile Arental and Ford Justaloaner (AKA Alero and 500, respectively).

If the co-founder is stating it, I'd imagine it's almost a certainty to start shipping in 2018, though we can hope he's inferring full production/capacity. ;)
My hope is that they introduce pre-full-production (AKA: signature) versions in 2017. Then they'll probably get so many requests for them that they essentially become the first round of production versions, so maybe not.

If the co-founder is stating it, I'd imagine it's almost a certainty to start shipping in 2018, though we can hope he's inferring full production/capacity. ;)

The same person had earlier used some slides, among them one of the time-line of Tesla. In that it was claiming that Model 3 would be a Sedan and Crossover, witch some media has recently made some articles about. In this document the same slide has been modified to call it Gen III Sedan and Crossover (page 7). Everybody make mistakes, even JB.

He may have some information that we don't, and know this for sure that the Model 3 will not ship until 2018. But this is only a few days after Elon assured us that it would come in 2017. So I would not take this as a prof that the Model 3 will be delayed.