Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 size comparison?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My problem is the exterior dimensions more than the internal ones. Evaluating an X or even an S means that I end up with virtually no space in front and in back of it in my garage. The width is a similar problem compared to my current BMW 328. Both cars are a bit wider.

If the 3 is really supposed to be 'like' a Series 3 BMW, does that mean similar exterior dimensions? Because everything I've seen so far (the extrapolations from pictures and the like) seem to imply it's larger (not that much smaller than an S).

Be nice to have some hard facts!

Reactions: Red Sage
My problem is the exterior dimensions more than the internal ones. Evaluating an X or even an S means that I end up with virtually no space in front and in back of it in my garage. The width is a similar problem compared to my current BMW 328. Both cars are a bit wider.

If the 3 is really supposed to be 'like' a Series 3 BMW, does that mean similar exterior dimensions? Because everything I've seen so far (the extrapolations from pictures and the like) seem to imply it's larger (not that much smaller than an S).

Be nice to have some hard facts!
based on MotorTrends Model 3 writeup, it (the March 31st 2016 prototype at least) measures 184.1" L x 74.2" W x 56.5" H
and your BMW 328 is 182-183″ L x 71″ W x 56-57″ H

So slightly longer/wider than the BMW but not by much.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
The reason the Model S doesn't fare well in these tests is the limited headroom, especially in back. I never let anyone over 5'10" sit in back as they will hit the roof with their head.. It's the price you pay for a sleek design with a 4" thick battery in the floor.

• Funny
Reactions: zenmaster
based on MotorTrends Model 3 writeup, it (the March 31st 2016 prototype at least) measures 184.1" L x 74.2" W x 56.5" H
and your BMW 328 is 182-183″ L x 71″ W x 56-57″ H

So slightly longer/wider than the BMW but not by much.
Has there been any estimations (or actual measurements) of the wheelbase of the model 3?. From comparison pictures with the model S, it seems most of the difference in length is outside the wheelbase.

My current car is 192" long, and I'm fine in the front seat.

I've also sat in a model S front seat, and there was plenty of room (I'm 6'4").

I'm pretty sure I'll be fine in the Model 3.

Reactions: Red Sage
Has there been any estimations (or actual measurements) of the wheelbase of the model 3?. From comparison pictures with the model S, it seems most of the difference in length is outside the wheelbase.

My current car is 192" long, and I'm fine in the front seat.

I've also sat in a model S front seat, and there was plenty of room (I'm 6'4").

I'm pretty sure I'll be fine in the Model 3.
In the same article it has a wheelbase estimate: 113".

Reactions: melindav
Look on the bright side, if the Model 3 ends up being a small car, it will make your hands look bigger...
trump-hands.jpeg

Missed that. Thanks.

Strangely enough, that's an inch bigger than my current car (Fusion Energi), so it does look like that most or all the difference is outside the wheelbase.

-smak-
If you look at the S/3 photo morph I posted toward the start of this thread, it looks like the back seats are about aligned, but the Model 3 stealing wheel is forward of the S by 6" +/-, so if anything its interior room front to back is equal or even slightly longer than the S.

exterior size really does make an impact. I would only park a Model S in about 10% of the bays in the parking garage at work, but the Model 3 should fit into even the small bays.
This is one of my issues in deciding between a 3 and an X. Our work garage is one of those with the tilting columns and many weirdly shaped spaces, to cram in as many as they can. Until we get (?) 360 degree camera view, I doubt I'd ever want to drive an X down there!

The previous discussion just shows how just calling a car "large" or "compact" can be misleading. The Model 3 should be much smaller than the S externally, but very similar in passenger space. It will have far less storage space than the S, though.

For me that will be ideal. The S is too large for me externally (it barely fits in my garage at all, and I often struggle getting into parking spaces), and I don't need the storage space (I can always use my wife's SUV). What I value is a comfortable drive with great handling, and the smaller dimensions should improve the handling without compromising interior comfort.

The previous discussion just shows how just calling a car "large" or "compact" can be misleading. The Model 3 should be much smaller than the S externally, but very similar in passenger space. It will have far less storage space than the S, though.

For me that will be ideal. The S is too large for me externally (it barely fits in my garage at all, and I often struggle getting into parking spaces), and I don't need the storage space (I can always use my wife's SUV). What I value is a comfortable drive with great handling, and the smaller dimensions should improve the handling without compromising interior comfort.
This is pretty much where I am with the X vs 3 (or two 3s vs 3 and X (another 3 to replace gf's ancient car)). I'm going to have to see if I can do an overnight demo and see if the X will actually fit in my garage and how it feels parking it, etc. The idea was to have one larger car for road trips (5 seat X). But I also need it to be usable for daily use also. As I say, decisions, decisions....

This is pretty much where I am with the X vs 3 (or two 3s vs 3 and X (another 3 to replace gf's ancient car)). I'm going to have to see if I can do an overnight demo and see if the X will actually fit in my garage and how it feels parking it, etc. The idea was to have one larger car for road trips (5 seat X). But I also need it to be usable for daily use also. As I say, decisions, decisions....

I am thinking along the same lines. Currently our family long haul car is the Volvo XC70 and so I checked the dimensions of that car vs. the projected Model 3 -The Model 3 is just slightly wider in fact and only 20cm shorter and just a little lower in height (naturally). I assume combining trunk+frunk in Model 3 will give same capacity in liters as the XC70. Plus we get the tow hitch on the Model 3 so I could always fit a Thule BackUp 900 Robust luggage box that yields a further 450 liters of luggage capacity :)

Y might be our next car after the 3, possibly even a replacement for the 3. We have 1 small child and plan to have another someday down the line, but no way in heck will we ever do a minivan or ICE SUV.

Ok, this is a bit offtopic, but if you have a family with 1 or 2 small kids (like us), a minivan should definitely be an option. I know, for some strange and hard to understand reasons Americans seem to dislike minvans, but over here they are extremely popular with young families. And having had one for years ourselves I can attest that they are the best when it comes to "room economy" i.e. how good they make use of the available space while still offering an attractive yet compact exterior package/footprint.

I know, for some strange and hard to understand reasons Americans seem to dislike minvans, but over here they are extremely popular with young families.
In the 80's, the station wagon had the family-car stigma (unexciting). Minivans exploded in popularity during that time (with the introduction of the Dodge Caravan), because they were "cooler" than station wagons, yet had the interior room of a station wagon.

But the cycle repeats. Now minivans have the stigma of being the unexciting family car. They're still popular, but all of the "cool" families are now buying SUVs. See, SUVs are now viewed as "cool", even though in reality they're really just tall station wagons.

And that's your American Automotive History Lesson for the day. :p