Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting. I don't think I've seen a clearer example of a deliberate leak. :)

"Okay Bob. We'd like to do a bit of an information leak. Go on out the the supercharger, when it's packed, leave the car wide open so that people can see and take photos. Make sure that they can take a good photo of the screen, so that they can do the math to determine the range. Make sure that the interior is clean and uncluttered.".
What's interesting is that a few days ago, someone was requested not to take pictures of the car (at least not close-ups); yet, in this series from San Mateo, the photographer was able to crawl all over the car and take pictures of the interior through open windows with nothing draped over the window, steering wheel or display. Makes me wonder how much of this discrepancy in dealing with onlookers is due to individual driver discretion and how much is due to (semi-) official relaxation of policy as we get closer to the final reveal. Either way, it's getting to be a fun ride to July! :D

Reactions: bmah
What's interesting is that a few days ago, someone was requested not to take pictures of the car (at least not close-ups); yet, in this series from San Mateo, the photographer was able to crawl all over the car and take pictures of the interior through open windows with nothing draped over the window, steering wheel or display. Makes me wonder how much of this discrepancy in dealing with onlookers is due to individual driver discretion and how much is due to (semi-) official relaxation of policy as we get closer to the final reveal. Either way, it's getting to be a fun ride to July! :D

PR team run by a former WH employee?

But I want a mini-Model 3 key...:(

Me too. I hope the card isn't the key - it seems really impractical.

It actually might be more practical. As mentioned previously, right now when most people go out/driving, they carry at least 3 things with them: phone, wallet/drivers license, and a car key. If you could make the car key card-like, it'll fit in your wallet, and you'll only have to carry 2 things.
If you get one of those credit-card-holder phone cases, you'll be heading out to your car with only one thing in your pocket!
it'll definitely take time to get used to tho

• Helpful
Reactions: Big-T and EinSV
It actually might be more practical. ... If you could make the car key card-like, it'll fit in your wallet, and you'll only have to carry 2 things.

Hmm - was in need of a new wallet and picked up one in Dillard's a week or two ago during a sale. The one I picked up has an integrated RF Shield - that might make it less practical.

Full size image of interior.
Unknown-5.jpeg

Yahoo - login

Note the Model 3 Keycard.

It actually might be more practical. As mentioned previously, right now when most people go out/driving, they carry at least 3 things with them: phone, wallet/drivers license, and a car key. If you could make the car key card-like, it'll fit in your wallet, and you'll only have to carry 2 things.
If you get one of those credit-card-holder phone cases, you'll be heading out to your car with only one thing in your pocket!
it'll definitely take time to get used to tho
If it does turn out the "key" is a card, would it be a passive transponder like a bridge/road toll tag? If so, it would have the advantages of not having a battery that will run down and being much more compact than a mini-car key fob. And you won't have to worry about accidentally depressing a button if your jeans are too tight. ;)

Hmm - was in need of a new wallet and picked up one in Dillard's a week or two ago during a sale. The one I picked up has an integrated RF Shield - that might make it less practical.
Maybe an aftermarket opportunity for someone to design an RFID wallet (if it doesn't exist already) that has an exterior slot/compartment for cards that you don't want shielded? The car "key" can go there and credit/ATM cards can go inside the shielded part.

If it does turn out the "key" is a card, would it be a passive transponder like a bridge/road toll tag? If so, it would have the advantages of not having a battery that will run down and being much more compact than a mini-car key fob. And you won't have to worry about accidentally depressing a button if your jeans are too tight. ;)

Not being able to pop the trunk or frunk without getting into the car and using the screen seems like a major PITA to me. I hope it's still a toy car like the S and X. I don't see why they wouldn't be, Tesla charges less for a replacement key then Nissan does for a Leaf key so they can't be horrifically expensive.

Not being able to pop the trunk or frunk without getting into the car and using the screen seems like a major PITA to me. I hope it's still a toy car like the S and X. I don't see why they wouldn't be, Tesla charges less for a replacement key then Nissan does for a Leaf key so they can't be horrifically expensive.
Interesting.... its the opposite for me, I can't really remember the last time I pulled out my keys and used the buttons on there to open the trunk/door... my car can just sense the key in my pocket

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Maybe the keycard could be used for unlocking doors/trunk and driving by automatically sensing it, as the fob is detected today. In order to open the trunk/frunk remotely, one could use the app, perhaps via cellular, wifi or BlueTooth? Fobs could be made available as an accessory at extra cost.

I never really use my fob for anything. It's in my pocket so the doors unlock automatically and I can drive the car. The only time I've really used the fob to open the trunk was when someone else was walking out to put something in the car. I could've just as easily used the phone to open the trunk for them. Around the house, I always have a phone or tablet with me so I always use my devices to open the car, not the fob. I also only enable summon via the app since I found out it was too easy to accidentally push buttons on the fob while it was in my pocket.

Last edited:
You would use the card to jimmy open the trunk or frunk. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Maybe the keycard could be used for unlocking doors/trunk and driving by automatically sensing it, as the fob is detected today. In order to open the trunk/frunk remotely, one could use the app, perhaps via cellular, wifi or BlueTooth? Fobs could be made available as an accessory at extra cost.

I never really use my fob for anything. It's in my pocket so the doors unlock automatically and I can drive the car. The only time I've really used the fob to open the trunk was when someone else was walking out to the car. I could've just as easily used the phone to open the trunk for them. Around the house, I always have a phone or tablet with me so I use my device to open the car, not the fob.
Damn, if that's the case, I may have to break down and buy a smartphone after all. I have been able to resist getting one (a phone is for making/receiving phone calls) for years. :mad: