Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_8289.JPG
Single, greatest improvement over S/X. Will trade immediately. :)

Using Photoshop, I performed some crude measurements of the charging screen to estimate the Model 3's current state of charge to be about 31% with 95 miles of rated range. That extrapolates out to about 306 miles of rated range (!!) for a 100% charge.

View attachment 232282

Reasoning:
  • The gauge fits about 3 of the green section (each measured by a different-colored line of identical length), plus another 25% of the green section.
  • If x is the current SOC, then 3.25x ~= 100% SOC --> x ~= 31% SOC
  • 95 miles / 31% = 306 miles
  • The dashed line (target SOC) appears to be set to about 90%, which roughly with fits the calculations above.
If what we're seeing here is accurate and headed to production, then it would appear that the 75 kWh battery will indeed break the 300-mile barrier, which is exactly the kind of information that Tesla would want to keep out of public view... until now, apparently...

I don't think that's right. Admittedly, I'm making a guesstimate just like you, but I don't think you can linear-ize that battery graphic. Although I've seen electrek do the same thing, they are always in Tesla cheerleader mode so I try to account for the extra does of optimism they have! :)

Here's how I'd calculate it: if the car has 95 miles of current charge and the rate of charge is 169 miles per hour and there is 50 minutes left to a "full charge" (to the 90% mark), then the car will receive 152 miles to reach 90%. That disregards the graphic and just takes the estimate the Tesla battery management system is using. I realize that isn't perfect either, but I think it's a better way to look at it.

So that means the 90% mark is roughly 247 miles. And by extension, the 100% mark is roughly 270 miles (an additional 10%).

I think a range that high has to be the larger battery (else it will cannibalize Model S sales too much), so I'm guessing the larger batter 100% range is 270 miles and the standard battery 100% range is 230-240 miles (roughly equivalent to a Chevy Bolt).

No way that card is the key. I can almost guarantee that is the employee's ID badge.

It says Model 3 on it. And there are rumors that the key is a credit card type thing.

I'd be shocked if the range of the 3 nears 300 miles.

Did anyone else notice that the picture of the Model 3's touchscreen while Supercharging only displayed the word, "Charging?"

Whenever I use the Supercharger, the screen shows "Supercharging."

I wonder why these vehicles do not have the same display on their touchscreen.

Maybe it's because they are just regular charging? But 150 miles/hour doesn't sound like regular charging.

I don't think that's right. Admittedly, I'm making a guesstimate just like you, but I don't think you can linear-ize that battery graphic. Although I've seen electrek do the same thing, they are always in Tesla cheerleader mode so I try to account for the extra does of optimism they have! :)

no that battery display is linear, you can watch supercharging videos going from virtually 0% to 90% and you can see the bar change correspondingly

(ex.
)

the miles / hr is not reliable as it could be scaling up or down in response to load from other cars, battery state, etc; it could possible dip down and dip back up. we also don't know how long this person has been supercharging. (if i recall the guy the who took the picture said he was using the adjacent stall, resulting in a shared scenario). if we had multiple pictures/datapoints then yea we could infer something but given that we only have one picture looking at how full the battery looks to be i the best we can do.

Can't be, wouldn't that suck all the electrons out? Like syphoning gas? :D

If those front seats are adjusted to normal seating position then windshield is way too far away to see
traffic light up above you.
I'd like to direct your attention to fact that the entire roof of the car was glass. So, unless you park just right and the cross bar covers the light, I think you'll be ok.

But not rain sensor?
He did say "humidity", if the humidity is 100% it's raining.

• Funny
Reactions: J1mbo and JeffK
Air is a pretty good insulator. Unless you have ice on the car or are driving under water, I'm not sure there's much to worry about.

In other news, metal is a very good conductor of heat.
Exactly. The thing that keeps your warm at home is not the window glass itself, it's the air gap between. Glass conducts well, metal even better. But air is bad at it. And Argon gas (which is used between double glazing) is even worse at heat transfer. On regular roofs there is a headliner, and on more premium vehicles (like my BMW 5-series) there is a heat insulation material, around 1cm thickness. On cheaper vehicles it's sometimes glued cardboard. Anything works. But the air itself is a good insulator. Air between metal roof and headliner. On glass roof, there is nothing. Lamination doesn't help. Double glazing does (I have my 5-series optioned up for double glazed windows, which has been discontinued and replaced with laminated side windows, it doesn't work with heat, though works well with sound). Double glazing does wonders with heat. Imagine car windows that are warm to touch in extreme cold.

IMO that's just padding to stop the cover from rattling. The magnet is the smaller square in the bottom corner.
Weather protection and rattling.
AFAIK cover must be mechanized in both directions on any LVL5 capable vehicle (not possible to autonomously SC with snake in case port doesn't work autonomously). Though this mechanism costs money and autonomous charging was only verbally promised by Elon.

I doubt that is coat hook. To me it looks like small access panel covering a screw to install the upper trim.

Most likely, though aftermarket hooks - here they come. Under the headliner screw in place of that blind plug.

Reactions: ikjadoon