Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well yes and no. The State of California requires that you apply four ugly stickers in order for a BEV to use the car pool lanes with a single person. So now I have to decide whether I want to deface my TM3 with four ugly stickers or give up the benefit of using the car pool lane as a single person. This is going to be a tough call for me.
I didn't bother applying for the stickers with my Model S because I wasn't willing to put them on the car.

Reactions: T34ME
Does anyone know what that little circular port is on the left front bumper? On an earlier blue RC sighting it was uncovered, with what looks like two thick wires showing. A tow hook has been suggested, but because of the wires, doesn't look like a tow hook to me.

So let me suggest, could it be a charging port, or an additional charging port? I would welcome the convenience as this will allow to pull in nose first right to the charging slot, and since this is how we usually park in the garage, it will allow to install the charger at the back wall. It would also make more sense for a FSD vehicle to make charging automated.

Anyone know where exactly is the charging port on the M3? Could this be one?

hqm6mUk.jpg

Does anyone know what that little circular port is on the left front bumper? On an earlier blue RC sighting it was uncovered, with what looks like two thick wires showing. A tow hook has been suggested, but because of the wires, doesn't look like a tow hook to me.

So let me suggest, could it be a charging port, or an additional charging port? I would welcome the convenience as this will allow to pull in nose first right to the charging slot, and since this is how we usually park in the garage, it will allow to install the charger at the back wall.

hqm6mUk.jpg
probably for towing...
59e933a8161372af831ebbf2946126299f760076.jpg

So let me suggest, could it be a charging port, or an additional charging port? I would welcome the convenience as this will allow to pull in nose first right to the charging slot, and since this is how we usually park in the garage, it will allow to install the charger at the back wall.

hqm6mUk.jpg
Could it be? I suppose. But highly doubtful. The cover is not nearly weather-proof enough. What were possibly "wires" we don't even know for sure that is what they were. In my opinion, I am quite sure it is just for the tow eye connection, nothing more.

Honestly after seeing the RCs and noting a couple of the things pointed out here, I'm not convinced these are actual release candidates. Maybe the reason the RCs are different colors is because they were repainted with a new nose cone? Maybe that weird bubble-looking thing on the white hood is a wrap job?

Definitely putting the ol' tin foil hat on, but is this just a really clever disguise? Are we just obsessing over the same exact cars from a year ago with subtle changes that can easily be performed without building a production line?
99a.gif

But weather makes LIDAR blind, as does mud, road salt, etc.

What benefit for the driving task is achieved through LIDAR that cannot be done with cameras/radar combo?
Your eyes can detect potholes, sticks, small children, animals, cars, signs etc...

Using technologies/techniques like monoSLAM you can make quite accurate 3D maps of your environment with even a single camera and there are eight at various angles.

The one benefit I can see to lidar is that you can "see" in total darkness... but luckily humans don't drive in total darkness and cars have headlights.
I'll be honest, I'm no expert on LIDAR, but considering most of the industry involved in autonomous driving is using LIDAR, including the leader (Google), as well as editorials and criticisms in tech blogs that are questioning Tesla's decision to forgo LIDAR, I'm going to assume LIDAR is superior to Tesla's hardware suite.

How much more proof do you need?
I wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong, just trying to understand your comment. You said Illinois has something to ID EVs, but posted a Mass plate and so presumably a Mass EZpass, which don't have anything to do with EVs. So I thought you posted the wrong pic and wanted to know what you meant to post. If other states use those to identify EVs as well as for tolls, that's great (there's no benefit for EVs here in Mass)

My other point, just to further the discussion, was that plate-mounted transponders don't work well in winter. Ice and snow block RF.

• Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3
But I don't think it needs a big change. In fact, without having seen it in person I'm not sure whether it needs a change at all. In some pictures it looks just as useable and perhaps a bit bigger than competing trunk openings, in others it looks slightly more awkward to put things in. Most people complaining about it have never seen it in person either. Pictures are very deceptive about such things.
Maybe Model 3 truly is a magical car. It seems to look different in every picture already. No doubt there's hammer space inside the trunk, but what's the magical equivalent to a trunk opening? I can see it now, you approach the car with your awkward-shaped chair and gently press it against the edges of the seal. An "oh shi--" moment washes over you as you realize it won't fit, at which point you black out and regain consciousness in the driver's seat already on route to your destination with the chair safely stowed in the trunk.

Could it be? I suppose. But highly doubtful. The cover is not nearly weather-proof enough. What were possibly "wires" we don't even know for sure that is what they were. In my opinion, I am quite sure it is just for the tow eye connection, nothing more.

I'd almost guarantee this is for towing. If you look around at some newer cars such as some of the Buick SUVs they have an almost identically sized whole in the front bumper as well that's used for towing purposes.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Strange they picked someone that tall to drive at the reveal. Doesn't look to comfortable.Steering wheel looks very small in his hands too.

Reminds me of a commercial that ran during the first game World Series many years ago. It was Chuck Conners for a new model Dodge pick-up. He was talking out the driver's window about how big and roomy it was. To do it he had to bend over sideways and had his head on his chest. The group I was with were laughing their heads off. It ran again a few innings later and never again. I could imagine some Chrysler exec calling the network and screaming for the ad to be pulled. I would pay money to see it again but I bet it has been destroyed.

Is this the one?

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Is this the one?

No, the one I am thinking of was mostly him speaking out the window and introducing this new model. It must have been a smaller model because he looked like he was being squashed by the roof. I've searched and can't find it. We watched for weeks and never saw it again so I think it was pulled. Unless someone recorded the whole first World Series game it's probably lost.

But what if he's wrong? Isn't it at all concerning that everybody else in the industry doesn't share his sentiment? He's not a miracle worker has been known to stretch ideas and concepts beyond realistic or practical limits. Hell, he just recently admitted that Model 3's production line will be about the same as current production lines. None of this "alien dreadnought" stuff, just a regular production line with regular technology making cars at regular speeds compared to competitors.

I can see him backpeddling similarly ten years down the road when he introduces AP3 with LIDAR because AP2 isn't cutting it.
o_O
He never said the first model 3 production line would be 'alien dreadnought'
Current one is V0.5, 'alien dreadnought' is on V3

Status
Not open for further replies.