Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not anticipating too many changes to the interior DESIGN. I've made peace with that. However, what I'm really hoping for is an upgrade in MATERIALS. That's what I'm waiting to see, as it's the main complaint I have with the interior of my S.

The same, hoping that the spartan interior uses high quality materials...I still think it will require an options package...but that's fine.

There is, of course, no design element that will lead to my cancellation...but I'd certainly find the vehicle more enjoyable if the interior utilizes top-quality materials.

Reactions: cdub
I don't think anyone should expect interior changes. There's a supply chain, and at this stage, I can't imagine they want risk any delays for some kind of interior change. So unless they had some new interior sorted out last September, I'm pretty sure WYSIWYG.

Tesla had ample opportunity to spruce up the interior prior to production. My assumption is they didn't bother.

Reactions: MikeBur
I'm not anticipating too many changes to the interior DESIGN. I've made peace with that. However, what I'm really hoping for is an upgrade in MATERIALS. That's what I'm waiting to see, as it's the main complaint I have with the interior of my S.
This sounds a bit like wishful thinking. I don't anticipate better quality materials than Model S. I expect it'll be on par with Model S and similar to other cars of the entry premium class (like 3 series, A4 etc).

The difference is that it won't be the lowest rent econobox materials like the Bolt uses. The money they saved by simplifying the interior can be spent on the materials.

Reactions: MikeBur and DR61
Looking at a large photo of the latest blue T3 on Electrik looks like Continental tires? Kind of hard to read, any tire wizards out there that know by looking at it, what specific model of tire they're using? Maybe we can check out the performance ratings and pricing of them get a little new info that way.

Looking at a large photo of the latest blue T3 on Electrik looks like Continental tires? Kind of hard to read, any tire wizards out there that know by looking at it, what specific model of tire they're using? Maybe we can check out the performance ratings and pricing of them get a little new info that way.

I thought that Tesla contracted with Hanook to be the tire supplier for the Model 3.

View attachment 224487

A "Menu" button, a "Status" button, and an "EV" button. Don't get me started on the actual touchscreen UI. After 18 months of ownership I still have to hunt to find infrequently used options like changing the charging timer or setting the clock, and the navigation is useless. There's also a second, more primitive UI for the instrument cluster which is located by the driver's door. Want to change the instrument cluster clock? That's a separate action from changing the infotainment clock. This is where many new 3 owners are going to be coming from.

View attachment 224488

I'll take this design philosophy any day.
Oh my gosh yes!!! Agree completely!!! (from a fellow Tesla (her), Leaf (mine) owner)

It's quite possible they're pleased with the design.
@alseTrick seems to leave that possibility off the table given how much he dislikes the design.

Personally I'm not convinced people will dislike the dash design. Some vocal complainers on TMC aside, I don't believe there had been a representative survey done to ask people of their opinions. And even if such a survey is done, before anyone even tried it out, such surveys are unlikely to be accurate (for example before the iPad came out, surveys suggested that it would be a massive market failure; but once people got their hands on it, they loved using it).

Edit: another thing I should point out, even if someone coming from a Model S/X may find the Model 3 dash lacking, a vast majority of Model 3 buyers will be coming from different cars. For example they may be coming from a Leaf, or a Prius (which has a center oriented instrument cluster already), or other ICE cars. So they may find the touchscreen an advantage that far outweighs the loss of a separate instrument cluster.

Last edited:
I believe that the Model 3 is benefitting from a lot of the mistakes Tesla made with the launch of the Model X. Instead of making the manufacturing process fit an over engineered overly optioned car that caused Huge delays, they are designing the car and manufacturing in parallel and keeping options minimal to begin with so as to ensure a much smoother launch.

Elon even admitted in some of the interviews that followed the rocky Model X launch that he wished he had not offered so many options from the beginning, but instead had introduced them slowly after the core functionality could be smoothy manufactured. I believe Tesla is following this hindsight lesson and will increasingly add more options as the manufacturing lines prove they can smoothly accomplish the core aspects of the Model 3.

My guess is that Tesla is being overly conservative with the launch of the Model 3 as a reaction to the Model X launch and will be pleasantly surprised with how smoothly the Model 3's run down the line and as a result add more options quickly, maybe even quicker than Elon has said. But, I am an optimist.

giphy.gif
You laugh, but Model 3's interior will never be considered "luxurious", yet you'll be paying a luxury price tag.

Are you implying Model 3 may have better quality materials than Model S? Even after Elon's tweet storm?

Reactions: DR61
I believe that the Model 3 is benefitting from a lot of the mistakes Tesla made with the launch of the Model X. Instead of making the manufacturing process fit an over engineered overly optioned car that caused Huge delays, they are designing the car and manufacturing in parallel and keeping options minimal to begin with so as to ensure a much smoother launch.

Elon even admitted in some of the interviews that followed the rocky Model X launch that he wished he had not offered so many options from the beginning, but instead had introduced them slowly after the core functionality could be smoothy manufactured. I believe Tesla is following this hindsight lesson and will increasingly add more options as the manufacturing lines prove they can smoothly accomplish the core aspects of the Model 3.

My guess is that Tesla is being overly conservative with the launch of the Model 3 as a reaction to the Model X launch and will be pleasantly surprised with how smoothly the Model 3's run down the line and as a result add more options quickly, maybe even quicker than Elon has said. But, I am an optimist.
It's very easy to learn so much from one mistake that you make another.
Robin

Reactions: WarpedOne
You laugh, but Model 3's interior will never be considered "luxurious", yet you'll be paying a luxury price tag.

This issue has been discussed, rehashed, resurrected in equine form, killed, and then beaten in the context of the S. If you buy a Mercedes S class that costs the same as a P100D, it will have a nicer interior than the Model S. But it be driven by 100-year old technology. With Tesla you are paying for the technology that makes it go, not the cows that go into the seats.

This issue has been discussed, rehashed, resurrected in equine form, killed, and then beaten in the context of the S. If you buy a Mercedes S class that costs the same as a P100D, it will have a nicer interior than the Model S. But it be driven by 100-year old technology. With Tesla you are paying for the technology that makes it go, not the cows that go into the seats.
Exactly this
But also that you will even be able to buy an actual BEV from Audi is even funnier

Reactions: WarpedOne
The quote is laughable for two reasons:
1) The idea Audi/MB will have a comparable car in 1/2 a year

2) The idea an EV from them at a similar price point will have a lavish interior. The industry is working with similar constraints (Tesla might actually have an advantage with the gigafactory). After the costs of the battery, there isn't budget left for lavish interiors for an EV starting at $35k. Of course, for money losing compliance cars, they might be able to subsidize a bit, but those are low volume.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and Model 3
How about

You really can't see the difference? I'm serious.

In the alpha...follow the duck bill crease going down in front of the fog lights.

Now in the blue car......follow the softer duck bill crease ending on TOP of the fog lights.

That's the FIRST change.

Look at the curvature of the front of the hood and the straight across hood of the grey alpha.
I know people are seeing this, and I see what you're talking about, but until I see a shot without reflections, I'm skeptical. Take the photo from yesterday, for instance. The first line your eyes follow is the reflection, but if you look closely, there is another line visible, and if you trace that, it's exactly the same as the old prototype. Reflections play tricks on the eyes. I want a shot in good lighting, no reflections, and straight on front/side views (not asking for much).
giphy.gif

I agree with this and the proof that many agree is the fact that Model S is eating into the market shares of S-Class, 7 Series, A8 and so on where Model S has around 34% of the market for large luxury sedans.

Reactions: DR61
Status
Not open for further replies.