Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 MSM paint - major problems with clearcoat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the cross-posting, but as I'm UK-based I'd like to get your views.

Model 3 MSM paint - major problems with clearcoat

See the enclosed pictures - my car looks terrible!. This car is six weeks old, with 371 miles on it.

IMG-20200518-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20200518-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200518-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200519-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200519-WA0001.jpg

I assume you've never had the car detailed?

Tesla paint QC is pretty terrible, but that seems wrong to me.

This was apparent when I took the car to my detailer to be prepared for Ceramic coating, so at this point, it had been washed, decontaminated, claybar, tar spot remover and light polish as part of the prep. He called me to point out the problem and to suggest that we abort as this cannot be polished out. Sap contamination is normally easily removed and polished, if necessary. He's done thousands of cars, and the only other brand new car with a similar problem was actually a Porsche 911 GT3.

He says that he's had a sprayer look at it, who suggested that it may have had a poor repair done, pre delivery, and this could be a paint reaction. I've showed the pictures to a Tesla approved body shop, who have worked on my cars before, and they say it looks like a paint reaction and it may require a bare metal respray!!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
This was apparent when I took the car to my detailer to be prepared for Ceramic coating, so at this point, it had been washed, decontaminated, claybar, tar spot remover and light polish as part of the prep. He called me to point out the problem and to suggest that we abort as this cannot be polished out. Sap contamination is normally easily removed and polished, if necessary. He's done thousands of cars, and the only other brand new car with a similar problem was actually a Porsche 911 GT3.

He says that he's had a sprayer look at it, who suggested that it may have had a poor repair done, pre delivery, and this could be a paint reaction. I've showed the pictures to a Tesla approved body shop, who have worked on my cars before, and they say it looks like a paint reaction and it may require a bare metal respray!!
Is it just on the tailgate or is it all over the car?

Hopefully you can get it resolved, surely a warranty fix even though it's outside of the normal delivery inspection period.

Is it just on the tailgate or is it all over the car?

Hopefully you can get it resolved, surely a warranty fix even though it's outside of the normal delivery inspection period.

It is apparent all over the car, but most noticable on the boot lid, bonnet, front bumper and wings where there is a horizontal surface. Measured paint thickness was aound 130nm all over the car, which is quite thick for most manfacturers.That might also indicate some clearcoat repairs - I don't know.

Last edited:
It could be that it's just that bad, rather than it having been in any kind of accident, particularly if the whole car is like that.

I had my car detailed shortly after it was delivered, before i had driven it anywhere, and the guy who did it - who has done all my cars - forewarned me that I would not be happy with the paintwork relative to what I'd brought to him before. He was very negative about Tesla's paint jobs in general.

My car has dust nibs in various places, some are more prominent than others. In places I can see quite clearly that the paint is too thick, as it's borderline running. By some miracle the places where it's been super thin on other cars is alright. I just don't think much care or prep is put into the job, really.

The only thing keeping me somewhat sane about it is knowing that it's par for the course.

In your case though, I would expect the affected panels to get resprayed. You'll probably end up with a better job than the rest of us :)

Firstly, thats unacceptable for Tesla to send out new cars like that. Given the support and expert advice you’ve been given from your Detailer and Paint respray garage, then I think you’ll be in a good place with your claim. If your findings are correct, then I would reject the car and ask for a new fully inspected replacement.

It is quite possible that your car has had noticeable paint issues, been rejected, resprayed (paint thickness may confirm this) and then passed onto you. Not good if this is the case given the Poor standard of finish.

This confirms my fears with how Tesla expect new owners to be blind to issues with the car and that this is “ok” and should just be accepted as normal. It’s really not normal that so many new owners find paint defects on their new car, that then needs “easily correcting”. It’s not easy and the risk is that 2,3 or more panels needing respraying, could mean that it looks worse with colour miss match, and the quality of the job not being that good. Obviously it depends whether Tesla respray themselves or sub contract it, but I’d want it done somewhere reputable.

Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited: