Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - How do I charge at Home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a very reasonable price. a NEMA 14-50 is the plug the UMC plugs in to and yes it is 240 Volt and allows you to draw up to 40 Amp from it. The UMC that comes with the Model 3 can only do 32 Amp. The 'old' UMC that comes with the Model X/S can do 40 Amp. You can buy it at Tesla if you want.

14-50 is the best option aside from a hard wired HPWC, which would charge slightly faster and be more future proof should you end up with a second Tesla someday.

14-50 is a 240V 50A connector/circuit, allowing you to charge at 40A max.

The car comes with a 14-50 and also a standard wall plug for slow charging anywhere you can find a power outlet.

• Informative
Reactions: eokie
14-50 is the best option aside from a hard wired HPWC, which would charge slightly faster and be more future proof should you end up with a second Tesla someday.

14-50 is a 240V 50A connector/circuit, allowing you to charge at 40A max.

The car comes with a 14-50 and also a standard wall plug for slow charging anywhere you can find a power outlet.

So, after I get a NEMA 14-50 outlet put in, I use the adapters that come with the M3 to charge? Is this Adapter called a “UMC”?

Is this the best option?
It's the most common option. The other option is the $500 Wall connector. See Model 3 Charging

Can I get a 240V outlet installed instead of a NEMA? Or is that the same thing?
They are the same thing.

Does M3 come with NEMA plug or 240v plug?
Yes. This comes with the car: Model S/X/3 Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

Is this Adapter called a “UMC”
It used to be called Universal Mobile Connector. Now it's just called Mobile Connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3
Getting a M3 next week.

Called a few Electricians and ask them to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. They quoted ~$300.

Is this the best option? Can I get a 240V outlet installed instead of a NEMA? Or is that the same thing?

Does M3 come with NEMA plug or 240v plug?

I’m so confused lol
Can you PM me the electrician you got this quote from???? I'd like to get a quote as well. Thanks.

The Tesla Wall Connector is worth the money if you want to keep your mobile connector in the trunk and not have to uncoil and recoil that thing every couple of days.

Or buy a 2nd UMC

A UMC (plugs into NEMA outlet) comes with the car and cost $300
A wall connector cost $500 and an Electrician will charge a little more to install that instead of a NEMA plug.

It’s ideal to leave the UMC in the car, both hassle wise and not accidentally (or lazily) forget to put it back in the car. You don’t need it for superchargers though.

Or buy a 2nd UMC

A UMC (plugs into NEMA outlet) comes with the car and cost $300
A wall connector cost $500 and an Electrician will charge a little more to install that instead of a NEMA plug.

It’s ideal to leave the UMC in the car, both hassle wise and not accidentally (or lazily) forget to put it back in the car. You don’t need it for superchargers though.

When I bought our Model X a year ago, I thought I will have to buy another UMC because I wanted to leave the one in the car. After owning it for a few months, I can see what our Tesla Owner Advisor told us, "you don't need to carry the UMC with you." is true. There are superchargers around, and Level 2 EV chargers (just leave the J1772 adapter in the glove box) plenty.

What am I going to do with the UMC in the car? Find a 110v outlet on a wall somewhere and plug it in to charge 3 miles per hour? I guess it could be useful if I stay over at a friend's house overnight which I have not done in the last 20 years. I have read there are some people who will plug the UMC into the NEMA 14-50 public outlets installed for food trucks or RV. I am not sure I will feel comfortable doing that.

So far we had took the UMC in the car twice... both to a cabin in the mountain. But there were no outlets anywhere near the cabin parking and we really didn't need to charge.

So, after I get a NEMA 14-50 outlet put in, I use the adapters that come with the M3 to charge? Is this Adapter called a “UMC”?

Yes. The NEMA 14-50 adaptor comes with the car. Yes, the portable box that comes with the car is referred to as a UMC. Tesla officially calls it the Mobile Connector.

When traveling, except to family, I only use superchargers and J1772 adaptor (charge point, etc). So I don't travel with the UMC every day.

Last edited:
The wall connector isn't just an extra $500, that's just for the unit alone. Installation typically run you at least another $500, mostly I'm seeing $1000. So you're looking at $1500 to have a cool looking charger in your garage that charges a bit faster than a NEMA 14-50.

Here in Houston a NEMA 14-50 installed about 20 ft from my breaker box cost $180.

So far we had took the UMC in the car twice... both to a cabin in the mountain. But there were no outlets anywhere near the cabin parking and we really didn't need to charge.

The less you use the UMC elsewhere is all the more reason to keep one exclusively in the car.

You gave a perfect example of why it’s risky using your one UMC as your primary means of charging at home.

It’s like having a spare tire, I plan to never use the UMC that is kept with the car. So I bought a 2nd UMC for home Charging that stays put (no hassle of taking it out of the car).

3 mi/hr is a whole lot better than 0/hr

You gave a perfect example of why it’s risky using your one UMC as your primary means of charging at home.

That's a good point. If the primary home charging UMC breaks, you still have a 2nd one. I didn't think about that. But now I have a 2nd Tesla so I do have 2 UMC for home charging. I guess if one breaks, my wife will have to charge hers at the Supercharger until we could get it replaced LOL.

I am not sure about he spare tire though.. none of the Tesla got spare tire. ;)

The less you use the UMC elsewhere is all the more reason to keep one exclusively in the car.

It’s like having a spare tire, I plan to never use the UMC that is kept with the car. So I bought a 2nd UMC for home Charging that stays put (no hassle of taking it out of the car).

3 mi/hr is a whole lot better than 0/hr
So just take it with you when you go out of town. That’s no reason to buy a 2nd one to keep one in the car all the time.

Reactions: Rocky_H and kavyboy
FYI, NEMA is "National Electrical Manufacturers Association." It is a standard.
Probably every outlet you've ever seen has a NEMA designation.
The first number you can consider a classification: NEMA 1 (obsolete) did not have a ground, where NEMA 5 does. The second number is the maximum current (in Amperes) rating.
The old 2 prong outlets are NEMA 1-15, and the standard 3 prong plug you see everywhere is a NEMA 5-15; which will also be included with your car. You can also get a NEMA 5-20 for your Tesla, which plugs in to one of those outlets that has a "T" on one side; which you probably also see almost everywhere.

But for $300 all-in, the NEMA 14-50 really a no-brainer. I spent more than that on wire.