Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 at $40K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"about $35k" = $42.5k actual base price, excluding all options and rebates. adding options means > $50k. subtract government rebate, expect average actual cost to be around $42-$47k.

How does about = over 42? I guess we are speaking automaker terms because "about" means 'close to' in my book, so I would say a few thousand off, not 7,000.

How does about = over 42? I guess we are speaking automaker terms because "about" means 'close to' in my book, so I would say a few thousand off, not 7,000.

because when Tesla tells you the price of the vehicle, they tell you what the cost is AFTER getting the $7500 government rebate. So if they tell you that its $35k, it's actually $42.5k. If they tell you it's $40k, it's actually $47.5k. the price they give you is also without any options nor the delivery charges. the reality of it is that once you include a few option packages, the invoice price on paper that you're gonna see and going to pay is actually closer to $50k. oh, and that's assuming you live in an EV tax-free state like NJ. If you live in a state that charges sales tax for electric vehicles, add another $3-$4k or so.

Actually I think I recall hearing Elon in an interview sometime this year saying the price would be $35K before rebates. Unfortunately I cannot recall which of the many Elon interviews I have watched/listened to was the one where he made that statement.

Of course the oft mentioned $35K price is the base/bare minimum price, no options.

Actually I think I recall hearing Elon in an interview sometime this year saying the price would be $35K before rebates. Unfortunately I cannot recall which of the many Elon interviews I have watched/listened to was the one where he made that statement.

Of course the oft mentioned $35K price is the base/bare minimum price, no options.

Well that'd be pretty awesome if that's true. I watched all his Q&A sessions and don't recall that but then again that was a whole ago so perhaps.

I recall running across that, too. In any event, the federal tax credit starts phasing out after 200,000 vehicles. If Model S sales continue to grow, and Model X sales are anything like those, there's a decent chance that the phase-out period will begin about the same time as the Model 3 gets released.

Ok, I also just waded through Musk's Twitter feed (I need a life!) -- the pricing comment was $30k in 2013 dollars, promising 200+ mile range and "really cool tech". The response was to a question that was framed without incentives -- so here's hoping! :cool:

I recall running across that, too. In any event, the federal tax credit starts phasing out after 200,000 vehicles. If Model S sales continue to grow, and Model X sales are anything like those, there's a decent chance that the phase-out period will begin about the same time as the Model 3 gets released.

Ok, I also just waded through Musk's Twitter feed (I need a life!) -- the pricing comment was $30k in 2013 dollars, promising 200+ mile range and "really cool tech". The response was to a question that was framed without incentives -- so here's hoping! :cool:

Mad research props man! Thats what im talking about! So either things changed quickly or communication is off with spokespeople for the company.

Elon has also stated the Model 3 would cost approximately half the cost of the Model S. Unfortunately, he has avoided that recently but I believe that would have been a much better way to manage everyone's expectations. The media is going to have a field day when the 3's average sales price far exceeds $35k. 5 years ago Tesla priced the Model S at $57,400. Now it is $70k. And yes, I realize that is mostly because they dropped the smallest battery pack. Anyone think the same price creep won't happen again?

Elon has also stated the Model 3 would cost approximately half the cost of the Model S. Unfortunately, he has avoided that recently but I believe that would have been a much better way to manage everyone's expectations. The media is going to have a field day when the 3's average sales price far exceeds $35k. 5 years ago Tesla priced the Model S at $57,400. Now it is $70k. And yes, I realize that is mostly because they dropped the smallest battery pack. Anyone think the same price creep won't happen again?

My thoughts exactly.
Trouble for me is I need the 300mile gen3, so when the base model gets a price increase, then I just have to hope that the "85kwh" gen3 is a smaller jump in price than the modelS. Considering the battery price should drop by at least 30% I hope tesla do the right thing.

We’re going to keep improving battery technology and even with Model 3 we’ll expect a range of over 200 miles with a price of around $35,000.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/...mile-range-and-colonies-on-mars#ixzz38DWschDg

Well there ya go. Makes me a little more at ease. So where the heck was that number from the spokesperson coming from? hmmm....

We are trying to make our cars as affordable as possible, but there are many people for whom it’s quite a stretch to buy a Model S, so it certainly matters to them.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/...mile-range-and-colonies-on-mars#ixzz38DWschDg

And this is nice to see again. Thank you Elon. :)

A $40K car should be able to manage a 125 mile range in -10 deg weather at 60mph, an 80mph top speed and seven second acceleration.

Although almost any higher top speed is possible with a change in the gear ratio, it comes at the expense of reduced acceleration.
The Tesla marque happens to be known for its quick cars and a feasible way to accomplish this, despite the use of a less expensive low torque motor, is to maintain torque to the road wheels by a compensatory boost in the value of the gear ratio.

I assume that most of us roughly want a Tesla-quick car at this lower price point and for that reason I am sure there are those among us who would be prepared to sacrifice some bragging rights regarding top speed. OTOH others may need to be led out to the "can't have your cake and eat it" department.
My feeling is that a seven second acceleration ramp along with the superior throttle response that is complementary to an EV should satisfy most people.

Pretty much. I think it's called inflation. Other manufacturers don't announce prices on vehicles five years away though.

Yes, this is the problem. Even when statements are made such as "$35K in today's dollars" or some such the qualifiers are usually forgotten. There are still FUDsters on Seeking Alpha quoting the initial $89K Roadster price and wondering where the half priced Model S is. :rolleyes:

i highly doubt it'll be in the 30's. considering what we're paying for ms, i wouldn't be surprise for the price point to be around high 40's to mid 50's after incentive.
See, that's what I can't wrap my brain around. Anybody who knows this companys remembers the base Model S in the 50s when it first came out. So you are telling me that after 4 years, vertical integration, and a giga factory that Tesla can only get the price down for their Model 3 for $10, 000 less? Please, thats a number game they are playing.

See, that's what I can't wrap my brain around. Anybody who knows this companys remembers the base Model S in the 50s when it first came out. So you are telling me that after 4 years, vertical integration, and a giga factory that Tesla can only get the price down for their Model 3 for $10, 000 less? Please, thats a number game they are playing.
I think what ends up happening is the demand is much better than Tesla thought, and the price naturally goes up. If you only have an X number to sell(limited by output), why sell for less?