Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 7.2” Rear Entertainment Display Install and Honest Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PauliePucks

3rd Party Accessory Junkie
Oct 29, 2021
NJ
(For clarity sake, the product discussed below was purchased by me. It was not provided to me for installation / review by the manufacturer)
================================================================

Just posted this install and review - I know there are a few floating around, but I am a retro gaming junkie and I can confirm that this display can run retro arch and basically any emulator up to ps1 (excluding n64, nothing gets that right lol)

Got my display from Satonic. My kids absolutely love it, I am running a hot spot from my dash display (10.25” 4g display) and it’s working really well.

The air vent is small, but it does put out a decent amount of flow as the back opening is large and pushes the air out pretty good. It’s definitely weaker, but not terrible imo.

I also covered using a USB thumb drive to play videos and music for anyone who doesn’t want to use a hotspot or internet, you can download tons of movies and music to the thumbdrive or SSD and run it off of there flawlessly. It’s basically what we do in my 21 Yukon now.

You can now use Bluetooth headphones (only 1 pair can be used at once) and you can connect a Bluetooth controller as well.

Has full google play store access, you have to sideload Netflix and Disney + but they work fine after that

The rear climate controls look OEM, they copied the S/X interface nicely. Heated seats and temp controls all work well (they do not reflect on the main UI, this is a CAN BUS limitation I believe) and you can also install the optional front passenger Seat control if you would like to be able to adjust the seat from the back screen, I opted not to do this because my kids would have a field day lol

Overall I definitely recommend this display, it’s the best looking, snappiest and overall fully featured display available. If you have young kids this is a game changer for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the look of that display but that tiny slit for air must have a drastic negative impact. I have seen some reviewers say it's not bad and if you measure air speed, it might be similar or possibly even greater with this small air vent but it seems like overall air volume (CFM) would be drastically decreased and CFM is probably important for AC in hot weather. Having rear seat passengers entertained at the cost of comfort is a considerable trade off but for those in mild climates this might be a good upgrade.

Reactions: PauliePucks
I really like the look of that display but that tiny slit for air must have a drastic negative impact. I have seen some reviewers say it's not bad and if you measure air speed, it might be similar or possibly even greater with this small air vent but it seems like overall air volume (CFM) would be drastically decreased and CFM is probably important for AC in hot weather. Having rear seat passengers entertained at the cost of comfort is a considerable trade off but for those in mild climates this might be a good upgrade.
It’s not that bad. It’s noticeable for sure, but if I had to buy it again I would.

I absolutely love it so far. My kids are crazy for it. I setup a thumb drive with about 30 movies that they like and it’s been smooth. They have been playing Nintendo on it as well lol. Not gonna lie, I have too!

Reactions: tlr1000
I have just fitted this , Very easy install !

Just a couple of questions

I have a 2022/2023 model 3, I had to fit the bypass adapter into where the old cable for the USB ports went, Despite all the instructions saying this is only needed for a model Y ? Without it my 12v USB at the front didn't work and nor did my front switchback speedo.

ALso trying to figure out howto get into the System menu , requires a password . I wanted to see if there was an option to change the seat control pic to RHD instead of the default LHD.

I have just fitted this , Very easy install !

Just a couple of questions

I have a 2022/2023 model 3, I had to fit the bypass adapter into where the old cable for the USB ports went, Despite all the instructions saying this is only needed for a model Y ? Without it my 12v USB at the front didn't work and nor did my front switchback speedo.

ALso trying to figure out howto get into the System menu , requires a password . I wanted to see if there was an option to change the seat control pic to RHD instead of the default LHD.
Try 6688 for the password. Not sure if that option is there, but it should get you in the menu.

Which bypass are you referring to? The one for the OEM black 4-pin cable that powers the rear vent usb-c ports? I used that one in my M3 and have no issues with my dash display.

If that’s not the one, attach a pic if you’d like I’ll try to take a better look.

Try 6688 for the password. Not sure if that option is there, but it should get you in the menu.

Which bypass are you referring to? The one for the OEM black 4-pin cable that powers the rear vent usb-c ports? I used that one in my M3 and have no issues with my dash display.

If that’s not the one, attach a pic if you’d like I’ll try to take a better look.
Thanks for the code.

Yes thats the bypass , in the instructions it says you dont need to use it on a m3, but without it the 12v usbs and accessories dont work

Thanks for the review; I'm tempted just for the ease of having my son control his seat heaters, though it's an appreciable investment for 45 seconds of combined effort over the next several years. Maybe I just wanted it because it's neat... :D

They have a smaller one that is basically just HVAC and Seats and some basic audio controls for about half the cost and you retain full rear vents.

I'd be tempted, but Tesla likes to completely change the PIDs with firmware updates. I'd hope that HVAC is fairly stable, but you just never know. These Chinese devices are very hit and miss when Tesla updates firmware. So having the thing half work would annoy me if Tesla updates firmware.

Another option would be:

These guys have been excellent with firmware updates and should they stop updating you just pull the device out with no muss or fuss. Downside is cost and much less cool. OTH, you can throw a button back there that let's your son control the seat heat and be done with it.

I mostly got it for the ability to open the Frunk with with driver's door handle. Prior to Tesla releasing the service menu I also used it to completely disable regenerative braking to clean the brake pads during winter. Now you can do the same with the service menu. On newer Tesla where you can't change regenerative braking it will allow you to choose how much you want to use.

On the topic of the 7.2" rear display, if you want to customize the boot logo and lock screen background ie. remove the Hansshow logos, you can do this:
  1. Download the update file (tsl_hx_update.upd) from the product page.
  2. The tsl_hx_update.upd is just a zip file, replace the android_logo.png, boot_logo.png & system/etc/dzt/lock_bg.png inside the .upd file without unzipping it.
  3. Copy your modified tsl_hx_update.upd file to a thumb drive and plug it into the rear display, it'll apply the update.
  4. Enjoy your own logos/background on the rear display.
Source and more detailed steps here.

/edit, I just realised OP has a unit by Satonic, but it looks exactly the same as the Hansshow one so I suspect these steps still work but your mileage may vary.

On the topic of the 7.2" rear display, if you want to customize the boot logo and lock screen background ie. remove the Hansshow logos, you can do this:
  2. The tsl_hx_update.upd is just a zip file, replace the android_logo.png, boot_logo.png & system/etc/dzt/lock_bg.png inside the .upd file without unzipping it.
  3. Copy your modified tsl_hx_update.upd file to a thumb drive and plug it into the rear display, it'll apply the update.

/edit, I just realised OP has a unit by Satonic, but it looks exactly the same as the Hansshow one so I suspect these steps still work but your mileage may vary.
Thanks for that , mine is from "CarTronics" on Aliexpress so is unbranded .

Im assuming they are all the same and just modified with custom firmware.

Reactions: 3rror
I am a retro gaming junkie and I can confirm that this display can run retro arch and basically any emulator up to ps1 (excluding n64, nothing gets that right lol)

Got my display from Satonic. My kids absolutely love it, I am running a hot spot from my dash display (10.25” 4g display) and it’s working really well.
Thanks for the write-up! Few questions, if you don’t mind:

1. How easy/difficult is it to install emulators?
  2. And do the emulators work with a Bluetooth controller?
  3. How much did the display cost from Satonic?
  4. If you leave the phone hotspot turned on, will the display connect automatically every time?

Thanks for the write-up! Few questions, if you don’t mind:

1. How easy/difficult is it to install emulators?
  2. And do the emulators work with a Bluetooth controller?
  3. How much did the display cost from Satonic?
  4. If you leave the phone hotspot turned on, will the display connect automatically every time?
hey Phaheem!

1. If your familiar with retroarch, it’s the same as any other install on any android device (google play store, create rom folder on the device drive, copy them there) I would say PSX is probably the most it will go without having difficulty. NES, SNES and Genesis work flawlessly. You can always shoot me a PM and I’ll be happy to help you out.

2. Check out my video of the install, I played Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out with the Bluetooth XBox controller, retroarch automatically configured the controller as well. I have had no issues with it.

3. the display comes to around $350 after the promo code (currently 25% off MSRP) and I just noticed they are offering a Bluetooth controller with the purchase of this display for an additional $0.99!

4. I don’t use my phone’s hotspot; I have a 4g SIM card in my dash display that I use as a hotspot. The display does connect to it every time without any intervention.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: phaheem

Nice find. I will definitely give this a try. I would venture to guess the firmware should work.

Thanks for sharing, I’ll report back!