Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.2 Inch Rear Display for the Model Y. Almost perfect!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nguyentoogood

Youtuber / Engineer
Mar 2, 2019
Sacramento
Hey TMC,

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Tesla Model Y's 7.2 rear display. Let me tell you, this thing is a game-changer. It's like having a personal movie theater and climate control system in the back seat of your car. Throw out that ipad for your kid! You don't need it. It's so good, I'm thinking of just living in the car permanently.

1679682912857.png

Jokes aside, this display is seriously impressive. It's super bright with great viewing angles. The touch controls are intuitive and easy to use. Youtube, Netflix, games (you can hook up a bluetooth a controller too) works great. It's just like any android tablet with some tesla specific features.

But beyond the entertainment value for my kids, the climate control features are what drew me in the first place. No more fighting over heated seats- everyone in the back seat can set their own temperature and air distribution preferences (sort of). The reason why I put, almost perfect in the title is because it lacks vent controls when it comes to direction. It's not a deal breaker but still odd. It looks OEM and sexy like the model S and X but give us some vent direction control. I have the 7 seater, so it's something i think about. It still blows good enough though and shoots wide and high.

1679683371622.png

1679683408200.png

1679683855914.png

Another feature that I really enjoy, and I hope my kids don't abuse, is the fact you can move the front passenger seat. This option is in cars like the Mercedes S class where the owner of the car sits in the back and want more leg room. I use it for moving in and out baby car seats.

Overall, I can't recommend the Tesla Model Y with the 7.2 rear display enough. The previous iterations look too cheap and had a terrible UI. This one though, it's worth every penny if you can get pass the no direction control for the vents. So go ahead, treat yourself (and your passengers) to this amazing display - you won't regret it! It really does give it that Model X vibe and make the interior more high end.

Happy driving

If you are interested in the product I did do an install video. It's super easy and I also go over the features.

Reactions: Blackrope
I like to seat in the back when charging my car, but often there is no WiFi.
I use a prepaid smartphone plan so I cannot download too much data.

The control of the passenger seat is an interesting feature, but can you save the settings
so in one click you can move to a predefined location and also move it back as it was before
like in the case of the driver seat profile?

Still missing the option to enter some setup menu and select and deselect the features you want.

If you have kids in the back seat (And i guess a lot of Y owners have those, and this is why they bought the Y) it would be nice to be able to turn off features like

* Control climate temperature
* Control music volume
* Control playback and music

I know i would have some kids that i would have to remind again and again, to not touch these features.

I would love a unit that i could set up so that it only did

* Heated seats control in the back
* blend flap for the rear seat heating/cooling
* Play movies on screen, with bluetooth headset(s) connected for audio

It seems this new unit can actually have one set of bluetooth headphones connected to play the sound of the film playing on it.

Another thing i REALLY do not understand is, why the fancy image of the heated seats, on a previous version, they had them shown front to back so that if you wanted to turn on left heated seat, you would have to press the right seat in the screen.

In this one they have flipped the seats on their side on the screen, so to turn on the left heated seat, you would need to press the lower most seat in the picture.

I do not understand why they do not use the KISS principle.

An option to show "Time until next stop" based on when the car is expecting to stop at the next supercharger would be nice, and also a "Time to destination" when navigating would be nice.

Some of the most frequent questions i get on longer trips has always been

When is the next stop

When are we there. (Usually asked approx 10 miles from home, on a 1000 miles journey) :)

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Hey TMC,

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Tesla Model Y's 7.2 rear display. Let me tell you, this thing is a game-changer. It's like having a personal movie theater and climate control system in the back seat of your car. Throw out that ipad for your kid! You don't need it. It's so good, I'm thinking of just living in the car permanently.

View attachment 920998

Jokes aside, this display is seriously impressive. It's super bright with great viewing angles. The touch controls are intuitive and easy to use. Youtube, Netflix, games (you can hook up a bluetooth a controller too) works great. It's just like any android tablet with some tesla specific features.

But beyond the entertainment value for my kids, the climate control features are what drew me in the first place. No more fighting over heated seats- everyone in the back seat can set their own temperature and air distribution preferences (sort of). The reason why I put, almost perfect in the title is because it lacks vent controls when it comes to direction. It's not a deal breaker but still odd. It looks OEM and sexy like the model S and X but give us some vent direction control. I have the 7 seater, so it's something i think about. It still blows good enough though and shoots wide and high.

View attachment 921000

View attachment 921001

View attachment 921002
Another feature that I really enjoy, and I hope my kids don't abuse, is the fact you can move the front passenger seat. This option is in cars like the Mercedes S class where the owner of the car sits in the back and want more leg room. I use it for moving in and out baby car seats.

Overall, I can't recommend the Tesla Model Y with the 7.2 rear display enough. The previous iterations look too cheap and had a terrible UI. This one though, it's worth every penny if you can get pass the no direction control for the vents. So go ahead, treat yourself (and your passengers) to this amazing display - you won't regret it! It really does give it that Model X vibe and make the interior more high end.

Happy driving

If you are interested in the product I did do an install video. It's super easy and I also go over the features.
I dont know if you intended it to read this way, but it definitely 100% reads like an "influencer" type post. Did you pay your own money for this item, or were you provided it for review for your youtube that you are re directing to?

EDIT:.. I just noticed that you have your custom title here as "Youtuber" so that means its probably intentional it reads this way, but the question still stands on whether you actually bought this item with your own money or it was "provided to you for review".

I like to seat in the back when charging my car, but often there is no WiFi.
I use a prepaid smartphone plan so I cannot download too much data.

The control of the passenger seat is an interesting feature, but can you save the settings
so in one click you can move to a predefined location and also move it back as it was before
like in the case of the driver seat profile?
Yeah, that's an interesting take for the wi-fi. It would be nice if it used the data of the car and not your phone.
There is no memory function for the seat. That would of been a super nice touch.
Still missing the option to enter some setup menu and select and deselect the features you want.

If you have kids in the back seat (And i guess a lot of Y owners have those, and this is why they bought the Y) it would be nice to be able to turn off features like

* Control climate temperature
* Control music volume
* Control playback and music

I know i would have some kids that i would have to remind again and again, to not touch these features.

I would love a unit that i could set up so that it only did

* Heated seats control in the back
* blend flap for the rear seat heating/cooling
* Play movies on screen, with bluetooth headset(s) connected for audio

It seems this new unit can actually have one set of bluetooth headphones connected to play the sound of the film playing on it.

Another thing i REALLY do not understand is, why the fancy image of the heated seats, on a previous version, they had them shown front to back so that if you wanted to turn on left heated seat, you would have to press the right seat in the screen.

In this one they have flipped the seats on their side on the screen, so to turn on the left heated seat, you would need to press the lower most seat in the picture.

An option to show "Time until next stop" based on when the car is expecting to stop at the next supercharger would be nice, and also a "Time to destination" when navigating would be nice.

Some of the most frequent questions i get on longer trips has always been

When is the next stop

When are we there. (Usually asked approx 10 miles from home, on a 1000 miles journey) :)
Having the feature of it showing the destination would be amazing. I'm thinking because it's OBD2. It can only pull data from the car settings and not all the info from the mcu like navigation and internet.
how much is this?
$479.00 from hansshow but they do have a 20% sale on easter. You can (moderator edit: PM this user for more information)

I dont know if you intended it to read this way, but it definitely 100% reads like an "influencer" type post. Did you pay your own money for this item, or were you provided it for review for your youtube that you are re directing to?
EDIT:.. I just noticed that you have your custom title here as "Youtuber" so that means its probably intentional it reads this way, but the question still stands on whether you actually bought this item with your own money or it was "provided to you for review".
Hey, Yeah they didn't pay me for the review or video. They did provide me the product to make a installation video. Reading it over, it does seem a bit influencing and exaggerated lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I use our Model Y for road trips and camping. We would absolutely LOVE to be able to access some of the features this offers from the back seat. I just wish they would add the ability to access a menu that allows you to specify what features/options users have.

For instance (and I realize this is more unique to our use case and not something a majority of users would want) we'd love to have the ability to move BOTH the passenger & driver seat. When camping in the back, this is a very useful feature. I realize that (without the ability to only allow this when the vehicle is in park, not sure if that is a status this device can access) that can be a safety concern with kids and random people in the back. With us it would be a non-issue.

I want my passengers to be able to access their seat heaters (in a more logical array, I might add as has been mentioned here already) and possibly HVAC. That's pretty much it. The rest is just distraction & confusion from easily accessing the only features most of our friends would need in normal use. We don't have kids so I don't need all of the other whiz-bang eye candy that feels largely like window dressing to be able to market a zillion "features" when what they need is to really focus on the fundamental aspects so they work flawlessly.

I keep seeing these and while they get better and better it seems that some of the most basic aspects continue to be overlooked in each iteration. Maybe someday it will be worthy of my purchase but until that day I'm just going to remain on the sideline wishing someone would come up with a polished version (both hardware and software) worthy if such a technically advanced car that also has long term reliability in mind.

Reactions: mlambert890

The reason for the layout for this version is, it is the same UI you do rear seat heater control from tesla on the front main display. They are just making the UI really consistent(the same as tesla) to make it OEM look, which I really liked.

Looking at the above image, the screen is too much down below and small compared to the front one.

I tested with my phone and I didn't find confortable for a long time to look down when watching a movie.

Honestly, putting a screen behind each front seat headrest would be a more practical location.

Since you can use only one bluetooth headphone and you cannot use the Internet from the car,
I don't see the advantage of this device compared to using a portable device that you attach behind the front seat headrest.
And at least you can have your own headphone.

I was watching youtube and didn't notice anything in particular. I'm actually pretty sensitive to that stuff because i'm a gamer. I'm sure gaming will bring this issue to light if I did test it.
That being said I really didn't test the multimedia aspect of this unit much. I just use it for the heated seats tbh. That and it looks pretty back there 😅.

Yeah, that's an interesting take for the wi-fi. It would be nice if it used the data of the car and not your phone.
There is no memory function for the seat. That would of been a super nice touch.

Having the feature of it showing the destination would be amazing. I'm thinking because it's OBD2. It can only pull data from the car settings and not all the info from the mcu like navigation and internet.

$479.00 from hansshow but they do have a 20% sale on easter. You can (moderator edit: PM this user for more information)

Hey, Yeah they didn't pay me for the review or video. They did provide me the product to make an installation video. Reading it over, it does seem a bit influencing and exaggerated lol.
And that cheesy outfit also pays the reviewer 5% for every unit that gets sold using that reviewers discount code. Yes, it’s true.

$479.00 from hansshow but they do have a 20% sale on easter.

for that price, since you cannot use the Internet from from the Tesla display, I would buy two large tablets,
so each kid or adult can select the program or the game they want, the screen will be in a nicer location,
and they will not have to share the same headphone !!!

Bi8 s.jpg

Last edited:
for that price, since you cannot use the Internet from from the Tesla display, I would buy two large tablets,
so each kid or adult can select the program or the game they want, the screen will be in a nicer location,
and they will not have to share the same headphone !!!

View attachment 922985
This is actually better. $2k but honestly if you calc (2) hansshow units so that leaves you $1k difference but better install location and hdmi