Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charger GFCI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello....new member here and picking up my Y very soon.....I have a question with the mobile charger...

Im running 240 from the panel and will be using a 14-50 receptacle...I believe code is for a GFCI breaker on the panel, having a hard time finding one and very expensive.

Does anyone know if the mobile charger has built in GFCI? Also, do you guys charge with out a GFCI breaker at panel?

Thanks!

Current code does require a GFI breaker for outlets intended for EV charging.

The mobile connector does have GFI capabilities, but those are only good downstream of the connector - it can’t protect against ground faults in the receptacle itself, which is why code wants a GFI breaker as well (which is not required for a hardwired installation like a wall connector). Analogy: both the circuit in your bathroom AND the hair dryer you plug into it have their own GFI protection.

As for your risk tolerance in this area - there are LOTS of existing circuits out there charging EVs without GFI breakers. Depends how complete you’re being in terms of code compliance, permitting, etc.

Yes, this is why I always recommend to buy the Wall Connector and hardwire. The $100+ extra cost for a GFCI breaker is annoying. The reason for it is that unplugging a 14-50 plug is very hard to do, and people might wrap their fingers around the plug and get shocked when pulling out. The GFCI requirement is relatively new, many people don’t have GFCIs on their 14-50 receptacles.

Thanks guys, just saw another post....if I use wall charger, it does not need a 60amp GFCI? It charges faster, only downside is a little more expensive?
Im bringing new wire from the panel to create 240...the wall charger would hook directly up to wiring with no receptacle? If so, this may be the way to go...
Thanks

Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks guys, just saw another post....if I use wall charger, it does not need a 60amp GFCI? It charges faster, only downside is a little more expensive?
Im bringing new wire from the panel to create 240...the wall charger would hook directly up to wiring with no receptacle? If so, this may be the way to go...
Thanks

Correct, no GFI breaker needed for hardwire connections like the wall connector. You can also skip running a neutral conductor so you’ll save some money on wire. It’s really the way to go for a fresh install. Just be sure you’re using #6 THHN in conduit or 6/2 MC for the full 60 amp circuit (6/2 “Romex” is not technically allowed on a 60 amp circuit as it’s only rated to 55 amps).

Thanks
ucmndd ninja'd me. So what he said. Also, this might help:

Wall Connector is more reliable (no receptacle/plug), no need for GFCI, faster charging, and more flexible down the line (can load share with another Wall Charger if you get two EVs).

Thanks guys, Ill get the wall charger, 60 amp breaker, and hard wire 6 stranded to the unit...my run from the panel will be approx 30-40'...you think 6 gauge is plenty. not 4?

Thanks again!
Should be fine. you'll have less than 3% voltage drop, which is the standard you want to meet. This calculator says you'll get less than 1% drop at 48A/240V with 6 gauge.

Thanks guys, Ill get the wall charger, 60 amp breaker, and hard wire 6 stranded to the unit...my run from the panel will be approx 30-40'...you think 6 gauge is plenty. not 4?

Thanks again!
Use #4 if it is NM-B (Romex), but you will be happier if you use #6 (either individual wires in conduit (#10 for the ground wire) or 6/2 MC cable. Much easier to work with, the #4 is very stiff and only available in 4/3 which has an extra wire for the neutral which you do not need for the wall connector.

Unless you are running a very long circuit, perhaps more than 150 feet, the extra length is not needed for voltage drop. Just une #6 for the conductors unless you are using NM-B.

Use #4 if it is NM-B (Romex), but you will be happier if you use #6 (either individual wires in conduit (#10 for the ground wire) or 6/2 MC cable. Much easier to work with, the #4 is very stiff and only available in 4/3 which has an extra wire for the neutral which you do not need for the wall connector.

Unless you are running a very long circuit, perhaps more than 150 feet, the extra length is not needed for voltage drop. Just une #6 for the conductors unless you are using NM-B.
Thanks....ill run #6--(2) and #10 for ground in conduit...60 amp breaker...