Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mitsubishi Motors i MiEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mitsubishi Motors unveils cheaper i-MiEV electric car

Mitsubishi Motors unveils cheaper i-MiEV electric car

Mitsubishi Motors Corp launched two new versions of the i-MiEV electric car on Wednesday, slashing the price on one and extending the range on the other to appeal to more consumers in the nascent zero-emission field.

The higher-grade "G" version carries a suggested retail price of 3.80 million yen and can go 180 km (110 miles) on a full charge measured under a stricter Japanese fuel economy reading.

Tivo caught a commercial on cable Thursday night.

You tube shows there are many new videos:

And another: Does this show the car's demographic?

Extended cut

Another:

Guess we missed the OCT 10th launch. Maybe the car's Congressman sound is not loud enough.

Behind the scenes slideshow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Electric cars sold in winter climate - Technology Science - CBC News

Electric cars sold in winter climate - Technology Science - CBC News

The keys to Canada's first fully electric Mitsubishi car were handed over to a Winnipeg man on Thursday, at the start of winter.

"We have the cleanest [hydroelectric] power in Canada, probably in the world," said Ross Redman, who picked up his new car at the Waverley Mitsubishi dealership.
The Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric car, shown in a Winnipeg dealership on Thursday, has no tail pipe, creates no emissions, and never needs oil to be added.The Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric car, shown in a Winnipeg dealership on Thursday, has no tail pipe, creates no emissions, and never needs oil to be added. (CBC)

"That's what I want to use for fuel in my car."

"He spent $5,000 [on a] deposit four years ago to have the i-MiEV. So for us, [he's] a very important customer," said Kenji Itoh, vice-president of Mitsubishi Motors Canada, who flew in from Toronto on Thursday

Many worry about so-called "range anxiety" — as in, "How far can I go on a single charge?"

Furthermore, the car's electrical battery drains faster in cold weather.

"The preferred temperature and climate would allow for about 150 kilometres of driving. And in extreme cold, it may be somewhere around a third of that," said Attardo.

But Redman said he is prepared to give the car a shot. He likes one of the car's winter advantages: instant electrical heat.

Saw a i-Miev this morning while on a run, which surprised me because I hadn't followed them much and didn't realize Mitsubishi was delivering them. While I'm glad there is another EV option out there, that thing is small, ugly, and from what I've read, dog sloooow. With about 65 miles of range, it's just another commuter EV which will contribute to consumers thinking EV's are glorified golf carts that aren't ready for prime time...

I've been seeing an iMiev around town lately. I think some business has bought one.

They're not very uncommon here. 1500 total of the three variants (Mitsubishi/Peugeot/Citroen) hit the streets here last year, which is over 1% of all cars sold in 2011. Sales have dropped off since the introduction of the Leaf, though. 0.4% of cars sold in January were iMiev, while 1.9% were Leafs. The iMiev may be completely displaced by the end of the year.

I rented an iMiev last weekend just for fun.
Like all the reports I read the interior is basic and plastic, and speed off the line is not as fast as you would hope with an EV, but I think from the slight wobble in power delivery I think this may have be deliberately built in to stop you from driving it like a Ferrari and reduce its rang even further.
On the plus side it has V6 almost V8 pickup from 20 to 80 km/h making getting around stinky ICE's great fun, you can also surprise those who try to race you from traffic lights, which was quite a few as the car is owned by GoGet the local car sharing service who have plastered it with pro EV stickers making driving it a political statement of sorts.
Once i figured out the distance to empty display on Friday evening it showed 103 km range at 100% SOC, I used the power liberally that evening and in the morning it predicted only 93 km from 100% SOC! Ouch.
On Saturday I found that someone had left on the seat heater, thought I was going through change of life. Also I turned off the AC plus I found the "B" driving mode that substantially increases regenerative braking and allows you to drive it a bit like a roadster with the one pedal technique, albeit with a small pause between lift off and regeneration kicking in which can leave you a bit close to the car in front until you get used to it.
Apart from a few traffic light Grand Prix starts I drove it normally on Saturday and was rewarded with an estimated rang of 109 km on Sunday morning after a full charge.
I drove about 50 km on Sunday and it was still predicting 60 km range left making 110 km range about normal with the proviso that you drive without AC or seat heating. At one point with 80 km on the range gauge I turned on the AC to see what difference it made and it instantly dropped to 65 km!
Many of the shortcomings of the car come from the Kei car it's derived from but a 16kwh battery is also a bit too small, if it had a 23 kwh battery like the leaf I think it would be a pretty good thing.
I don't think it's getting much use in Sydney as there are only 2 charging points in and around the CBD one of which is its parking 'pod' and the other has a restriction that make it possible for you to be fined whilst parking and charging. So clearly we Australians are a long way behind.