Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gynepygu.jpg

J.. if you can pull off 175 wh/km, I think then you will be impressing me with your stoicism.
Congratulations on your energy consumption rate. What was your route to Sparta?

I've done 157 Wh/km on my commute to Minnetonka in summer, but it won't happen on this trip.

Sparta route was:
Eagan to MN-55 to Hastings to MN-316 to US-61 to I-90 to Sparta.

The parking spaces in front of the superchargers, and in fact most of the mall parking lot in Rockford was an ice rink. I have no idea how this person was coping with summer tyres.

We were using less than 190 Wh/km at 110 km/h en route to Rockford, so bumped the speed up to 115 km/h. Winds were mostly calm and the temperature was around -2 C. I was hoping to arrive at Rockford with <10% SOC to see what the max charge rate is, but would've had to increase speed way above the 65 mph limit. It didn't really occur to me to turn the heat up since we were so comfortable.

Anyway, arrived at Rockford with 19% SOC, and was so impressed with the 101 kW charge rate (1.7C) that I forgot to take a pic of the trip screen. But the total for this leg was 203 Wh/km @ 115 km/h. Telemetry data shows a peak charge rate of 102 kW @ 23% SOC, dropping to 98 kW @ 25% and 58 kW @ 59%.

A certain unnamed individual had a very specific demand for a lunch drink, which took quite a while to find. Lesson learnt: if you are a picky eater/drinker, it will take more time to find food in a mall than it takes to fully charge a Model S.

Due to a late start in Sparta and the time lost in Rockford, we had to skip Highland Park as it would've been quite a detour from our destination in Willow Springs. We had a wonderful dinner at Courtright's for the last time, as they will sadly close at the end of the year.

We are spending the night in Oakbrook and charging at ComEd Lincoln Park.

Looking at the photo of your climate control settings, I'm guessing you have the newer front vents configuration: with my early Sig, in cold weather I could never get away with a fan speed of 3 without fogging of the driver's side window and the left side of the windshield.

I've heard that Tesla will upgrade my vents if I ask. Guess I'm going to have to do that: this winter the fogging has already been worse than it was all last winter.

Well, the nasty weather moved out of Chicago earlier than expected, so we were able to leave by 10 am and make it all the way to Detroit (Livonia). Tail winds between 10 and 25 km/h helped to get really low energy consumption numbers, even at 120 km/h. A family on their way home in Ohio in a grey 85 passed us between Mishawaka and Angola, and then we caught up with them at the supercharger.

As great as the superchargers are, I think I have to write to Tesla and complain about the charging rate. We have yet to start eating before the car is charged enough for the next leg! I feel too much pressure to get back on the road.

Anyway, had some chili cheese fries from Charley's in Mishawaka - probably the closest one can get to poutine in the US.

Tomorrow is going to be a slow day charging only at Sun Country stations ( only have a single charger ), but hopefully we can make it all the way to our destination.

Looking at the photo of your climate control settings, I'm guessing you have the newer front vents configuration: with my early Sig, in cold weather I could never get away with a fan speed of 3 without fogging of the driver's side window and the left side of the windshield.

I've heard that Tesla will upgrade my vents if I ask. Guess I'm going to have to do that: this winter the fogging has already been worse than it was all last winter.

Yes, the service center installed the new vents (actually without me asking) the first time I left the car there for some work. Given our experience on this trip I think you should definitely ask for it. The grey 85 in the Angola picture had some fog, but I did't see if it has the new vents.

I am really enjoying reading this post... even if I have to do conversion math!

J Thank you for posting your settings - helps a lot. and yes, I have an 85, no vent upgrade, driving not in range mode.. I set my temp to 72 - no a/c, fan to 3 or 4, vent set to defrost and feet, with fresh air, not recirc. Driving about 65mph .... all of this = 425wh/mi :rolleyes:

Some pics from the London ON leg:

a2ute9yv.jpg

Sorry about the reflections, this is the first time we've had any sunshine on the trip. I have never seen the energy graph so flat.

Tailwinds were awesome at the beginning, but then became quartering from Chatham onwards. I could see the energy use change at every curve in the road - 160 Wh/km (256 Wh/mi) going east, 220 Wh/km (352 Wh/mi) going northeast. Seems that quartering tailwinds are worse than no wind at all.

rapuryta.jpg

Finished the leg with 180 Wh/km (187 expected) at the posted 100 km/h speed limit.

Now charging on the Sun Country station at the Best Western outside London. Unfortunately the restaurant is closed over the holidays, so we are digging deep into our snack bag while enjoying the comfy couches in the lobby.

duqeme2y.jpg

y8ude3ab.jpg

Fabulous log. Thank you. I would like to know what the relationship is between ambient temp and range. I am planning a 246 mile (396km) round trip in a P85 on Sunday with a 30a (110v) RV charge at the destination. The forecast is for a high of -17c. Burnsville to Granite Falls. Thoughts?

Last edited: