Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Primacy MXM4 sucks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After only 11k miles, the MXM4 rears are down to 3/32nds and they are EXTREMELY LOUD.

I had a set of Continental DWS06+ before this and they were good, but also only lasted about 14k miles on the rear. I got marginally better efficiency on the non-EV rated Contis too, compared to the MXM4 which is OE equipment I believe.

Anyone have a recommendation for a QUIET tire for the S? OK with replacing rears every 10k-12k, but I want them to be quiet at the very least. Texas car so don't care about snow or wet ratings, a general all season would be adequate.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
There really isn't a quieter tire for these cars that doesn't make dramatic sacrifices in other important categories that make them not worth it. Having tried quite a few myself over the years, you already had the best A/S tire made for these cars in the DWS06+ IMHO. You made it sound like a big deal that you "only" got 14k miles out of them but then in the next paragraph you said you're fine with them only lasting 12-14k miles. Seems to me like you already found your tire.

MXM4 is touring tire so it's already designed to be pretty quiet. It's the quietest I've used, though I only have experience with the A/S 3+, AS4, and Indy500.

Posting your tire size will help sort out tire options. Not every tire is available in every size. You say you're burning through the rears which make me think you have the 21" staggered fitment, but the MXM4 is not available in a 21"

MXM4 is touring tire so it's already designed to be pretty quiet. It's the quietest I've used, though I only have experience with the A/S 3+, AS4, and Indy500.

Posting your tire size will help sort out tire options. Not every tire is available in every size. You say you're burning through the rears which make me think you have the 21" staggered fitment, but the MXM4 is not available in a 21"
Great point. Going to 19's or even 20's makes a difference in both ride comfort and perceived road noise. If you are on 21's I'd seriously consider downsizing as many do this due to being easier to live with the car on them than the 21's.

After only 11k miles, the MXM4 rears are down to 3/32nds and they are EXTREMELY LOUD.

I had a set of Continental DWS06+ before this and they were good, but also only lasted about 14k miles on the rear. I got marginally better efficiency on the non-EV rated Contis too, compared to the MXM4 which is OE equipment I believe.

Anyone have a recommendation for a QUIET tire for the S? OK with replacing rears every 10k-12k, but I want them to be quiet at the very least. Texas car so don't care about snow or wet ratings, a general all season would be adequate.
I have 63K and on my 3rd sets of MXM4. The first set goes out less than 20k, 2nd set around 22k, I am now near 4/32nd ish, I suspect it will last couple more thousands may be. It wears pretty consistent on this set, also more quiet than the pervious sets. I have 19" and rotate them regularly. Once they wear down, they are noisy tires. I may try the pirelli p zero for the next set.

Reactions: xxaarraa

Did you buy them at Discount Tire? They will give you credit on the remaining miles.

Reactions: xxaarraa

@xxaarraa Yes the MXM4 are really terrible.

Try the Pirelli P-Zero ELECT All season. Specifically the ELECT version.

We put a set on our P85 last fall. Quietest tire I've ever used on a car of my own. Better grip and handling than the MXM4 too, dry and wet.

They're marketed as an ultra high performance (UHP) all season. I suspect they aren't top of that class for sheer grip but the overall tradeoff between grip, quietness, and ride quality is really good. They suit the Model S well in my opinion.

Thanks all for putting up with my vent, and for the suggestions.

I am running 19s - 275x40x19 in rear. I may try the P-Zero Elect for next go-around. PS4S are awesome and all my other cars run that tire, I assumed a grippy performance tire would be less efficient on the EV?

This is my wife's car and she is a very steady driver in chill mode with kids and dogs so I am surprised the rears are burning out so fast! Can't hide weight.....

Reactions: beatle
I ran 3 sets of MXM4s through my Model S and could get ~30k out of a set by rotating them. The rears definitely wore faster - at least twice as fast - on my S. Sounds like you’re running different sizes so can’t rotate - given that 15-18k miles is not a terrible estimate of useful life.

They do get quite loud as they wear.

Second rec for the P-Zero Elects… I liked those.

I assumed a grippy performance tire would be less efficient on the EV?
Correct assumption. There are probably a few outlier comparisons where the trend is bucked, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

I don't think the Pirellis will actually get you more mileage than the others though. Their warranties are all pretty similar:

AS4/MXM4: 45k
DWS06: 50k
Pirelli: 50k

That Italian rubber might be quieter and more efficient, and you'll save a bundle over either Michelin, so at least there's that.

Reactions: ucmndd
Huh. I never really pay much attention to road/tire noise, but I've always used the MXM4s, and I think more of the benefit is longer tread life. I get 45K miles out of every set. Mine is a very boring setup, that is a 2014 S85, non performance, 19" rims, so all the tires are the same. I rotated a time or two, but mostly haven't since then, since they always wear exactly the same all around.

Huh. I never really pay much attention to road/tire noise, but I've always used the MXM4s, and I think more of the benefit is longer tread life. I get 45K miles out of every set. Mine is a very boring setup, that is a 2014 S85, non performance, 19" rims, so all the tires are the same. I rotated a time or two, but mostly haven't since then, since they always wear exactly the same all around.
Lucky you, are your miles mostly highway? I never be able to get more than 22k in any set even with regular rotations. I never drive aggressively, but lots of short local trips.

Lucky you, are your miles mostly highway? I never be able to get more than 22k in any set even with regular rotations. I never drive aggressively, but lots of short local trips.
No, I don't think so. I've done some long trips, but mostly local. I think a lot of it is that I have about the LEAST sporty configuration there is. Everyone who got air suspension has had trouble with tires because the lower settings increase camber, which wears the inside edges. And they have to try to find aftermarket lower control arms and who knows what else to try to alleviate that. Mine is regular coil suspension on 19" rims, which is about as easygoing vanilla as this car gets, so no heavy wear.

No, I don't think so. I've done some long trips, but mostly local. I think a lot of it is that I have about the LEAST sporty configuration there is. Everyone who got air suspension has had trouble with tires because the lower settings increase camber, which wears the inside edges. And they have to try to find aftermarket lower control arms and who knows what else to try to alleviate that. Mine is regular coil suspension on 19" rims, which is about as easygoing vanilla as this car gets, so no heavy wear.
I don't have air suspensions neither and no other mods. The current set seems to wear more evenly than the previous sets.

I've had two sets of Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my 2015 S85D (stock 19" wheels, air suspension). The first lasted about 36K miles, the second was about 30K miles. Now running a set of Pirelli Centurato P7s at about 40K miles, admittedly haven't checked the tread depth on these lately.

Bruce.