Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes SLS Electric 4WD 750bhp review, 18 min video ..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best part about that car, given that it makes it into even limited production, is that it represents an EV that has advantages over a Tesla produced EV other than price. In fact, the story between a Tesla and this Mercedes is that the Tesla is cheaper, but on the surface, it looks like the driving experience in the Mercedes is EVEN better than a Tesla (how is that possible? maybe an extra half million really does buy you something extra :)).

I say "the best part" because a healthy EV market is going to be made up of high end, low end, mid range, and a great big mix of cars that cater to different markets and needs. The market grows healthier every time somebody shows and builds a car that competes in some area.

The best part about that car, given that it makes it into even limited production, is that it represents an EV that has advantages over a Tesla produced EV other than price

No doubt. If you take range, and price out of the equation (granted, these are huge) then this car seems to be an achievement. That's the first time I've felt this way since the MS came out. It'll be really cool if Tesla leapfrogs this car with a next gen Roadster, or an AWD MS, or even the Model S as far as torque vectoring. At one quarter the price!

Does anyone know if Chris Harris has driven a Model S? Based on his surprise with what Mercedes has achieved with the SLS probably not.
Would like to see him do a review of the Model S for comparison sakes.

It seems to me that the all electric SLS is fundamentally different from the Model S in that the SLS has an electric motor at every wheel and each motor is independently controlled to achieve the "torque vectoring" that Harris was so awed by.

While the SLS appears to be an awesome automobile it is at a completely different price level and level of complexity compared to a Model S, and is not a direct competitor. And it lacks the range needed for long distance trips.

Now if Mercedes could produce a BEV with the range of the S and at the price level of the S, that I would like to see. Every company, including Tesla, needs strong competitors.

.../ Every company, including Tesla, needs strong competitors.
Ideological ‘injection’: It seems to me that TSLA is doing rather well without one… Having said that though: More competitors would of course benefit various economies of scale. It would also result in other advantages like a bigger and more experienced potential employee pool, and more academic research that likely would also be beneficial. Such factors would of course aid TSLA.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if Chris Harris has driven a Model S? Based on his surprise with what Mercedes has achieved with the SLS probably not.
Would like to see him do a review of the Model S for comparison sakes.
I’m pretty sure he hasn’t. Or at least that he hasn’t published anything about it…

Thread tip of the day:

Chris Harris Must Review the Model S

- - - Updated - - -

Per the Similar Threads section below I count 6 (!)… The humanity :rolleyes:

Fig_SLS.png

It was a great tech demo, but with Mercedes recently announcing the end of the current SLS model it's unlikely this will ever see production.

It's a shame, really. Torque vectoring is something else. My previous ICE car had it. One of the only things I miss about it.

The Model X has one motor per axle. That will allow front to rear torque balance, but not driver side to passenger side torque balancing. The later is needed for torque vectoring to help navigate corners faster.

GSP

The Model X has one motor per axle. That will allow front to rear torque balance, but not driver side to passenger side torque balancing. The later is needed for torque vectoring to help navigate corners faster.

GSP

I am sorry for this. I would have liked for the Model X also driver side to passenger side torque balancing. Hope that it will be possible to improve the Tesla AWD system in future.

How did your ICE do individual wheel torque vectoring with only one motor?

Actually I knew that it is possible to have individual wheel torque vectoring with only one motor. Once I saw a video at slow motion showing an ICE car having AWD with individual wheel torque vectoring. It looked like the four wheels were dancing on the snow. That's why I thought that in the case of the Model X having two engines it was possible to have individual wheel torque vectoring.