Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes SLS Electric 4WD 750bhp review, 18 min video ..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did your ICE do individual wheel torque vectoring with only one motor?

Audi offers an active rear "Sports Differential" that can vector torque left/right. I believe Acura's SH-AWD does something similar. It uses additional gears and clutches to redistribute torque between the rear wheels.

It feels like the hand of God reaches down and helps push the car from one side around corners. Subtle, but to someone used to driving cars on a track near the limit it was simply astonishing in its ability to literally change the law of physics that govern handling. It's superior to brake induced stability control as it doesn't require power to be cut, a real buzz kill in the Model S.

Here's a video explaining how it works.

Tesla could potentially offer the same, replacing the open differential from the rear motor to the half shafts with an active one, assuming they have the time and resources to develop it or can license it from someone and can make it fit (it's going to be larger). I don't think it's common enough yet that you can buy it off the shelf from a supplier, like Continental.

Audi offers an active rear "Sports Differential" that can vector torque left/right. I believe Acura's SH-AWD does something similar. It uses additional gears and clutches to redistribute torque between the rear wheels.

It feels like the hand of God reaches down and helps push the car from one side around corners. Subtle, but to someone used to driving cars on a track near the limit it was simply astonishing in its ability to literally change the law of physics that govern handling. It's superior to brake induced stability control as it doesn't require power to be cut, a real buzz kill in the Model S.

Here's a video explaining how it works.

Tesla could potentially offer the same, replacing the open differential from the rear motor to the half shafts with an active one, assuming they have the time and resources to develop it or can license it from someone and can make it fit (it's going to be larger). I don't think it's common enough yet that you can buy it off the shelf from a supplier, like Continental.

Tesla could do even better. In fact in the case of the Model X, having two motors and not having the transfer of energy from the motor to the rear wheels like it happens to Audi, not only we would have less mechanical losses but we would also have a faster control action of the torque on each wheel. In terms of handling we would have a much better behaviour with respect to Audi because the car would follow with precision the steer without forcing the driver to use continuosly the steer to balance the car on the snow or ice. :cool:

Interesting system but it would be difficult for Tesla to adopt because of the transverse mounting of their motor. The Audi system is much larger and I think it might take up too much room, though I suppose it could be redesigned for a slightly smaller package. Not sure the extra weight and complexity is really worth it, a 4 electric motor system seems more elegant.

Surprised at his comments on electric vehicle range saying the 200km range of the car in the story is good which, he added, "...is still a long way given that I'm not used to electric cars having any range whatsoever."

I guess he's not heard of Tesla. :)

Surprised at his comments on electric vehicle range saying the 200km range of the car in the story is good which, he added, "...is still a long way given that I'm not used to electric cars having any range whatsoever."

I guess he's not heard of Tesla. :)

Again, look at the date on that video. April 2013. 2.5 years ago. Few people in the UK had even seen a Model S yet, let alone driven one.

You're looking at a historical footnote that will be long forgotten in the EV timeline.

Again, look at the date on that video. April 2013. 2.5 years ago. Few people in the UK had even seen a Model S yet, let alone driven one.

You're looking at a historical footnote that will be long forgotten in the EV timeline.

Understood. But certainly with Motor Trend giving Model S it's Car of the Year Award the previous November word of the car must have made it to him by the time he made the video.