Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melted supercharger nozzle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's very important to always check the SC connector before you plug it in. I've seen at least one that had damage and reported it to Tesla.

I also always blow in there in case there is any dirt.

Keep in mind, there are plenty of Tesla-hating *******s that love to sabotage the SC's out there! Sad but true. If someone jams something in there and you plug it into your car, it could also damage your inlet, as well as leaving you now stranded.

LOOK before PLUG! =)

Something I had never considered before, but unfortunately you're right.

Keep in mind, there are plenty of Tesla-hating *******s that love to sabotage the SC's out there! Sad but true. If someone jams something in there and you plug it into your car, it could also damage your inlet, as well as leaving you now stranded.

To ensure that the plugs are clean and free of debri (even a little carbon build up), I would recommend carrying both a can of electronics cleaner and compressed "dry" air, plus those mini cleaning brushes with nylon bristles used to clean paint sprayers, or even guns (don't use any metal bristle material) for any plugs (not just Superchargers, but any plug).

Besides the hater groups attempting to sabotage them, there are plenty of plugs that get dropped in the dirt, are in less than desirable ambient conditions with flying debris, etc. I've seen plugs full of cobwebs even. Heavily used plugs can get a layer of carbon.

So, for the cautions:

1) Don't use any aggressive or corrosive cleaning agents. Electronics cleaners that quickly dry and leave no residue are best (even blowing your breath into something leaves your saliva)

2) Don't use anything that will add wear and tear to the plugs silver coated connections (a soft nylon bristle is plenty)

3) If the plug is visibly damaged, don't use it at all, and call Tesla (or whomever owns the charge unit)

4) If the plus is noticeably hotter than normal, stop its use, and call Tesla (or whomever owns the charge unit)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you find one damaged, please tape it off or otherwise try to label it so someone else doesn't fall victim. It's doubtful Tesla can get to it very fast.

Yes, a great number 5 to my list.

Hi guys. I seem to have my charging problems in Vacaville. I am the one with the white smoke last Xmas that Tesla never found a reason for. This time, I was charging at 100 kW when the current suddenly dropped to zero. When I checked the supercharger cable, it was almost too hot to touch. On removing the cable, there was clear sticky stuff oozing out the end. Luckily, I had enough charge to get home to east bay. The chargers on either side in Vacaville would not connect. (yellow error no matter how many times I replugged). Perhaps my inlet was gooed? At home my J1772 worked at 30 amps/240v through the adapter. I had planned to test the car at Fremont, but Tesla was concerned I might burn up another SC. Tesla checked the car and said the on board charger was fine. (I thought they weren't used with supercharging?). They replaced the inlet., said they checked supercharging at San Rafael. I hope that it works, since I have a trip to Madera on Saturday that will need a charge in Manteca. Below is a picture. Anyone else seen this?p.s. No more white smoke in 20k miles.

Not to plug my videos, but this is right on topic:
This has been happening this summer. Regardless of outside temps, it has happened ~6 times now all at different locations. Just off the top of my head that I recognized it at, Lusk WY, Madison WI, Santee SC (The ones I remember the location of).
I've been having charge port issues too, but no damage to the charge port other then it would release the CHAdeMO adapter, and wouldn't release a couple supercharger adapters when they were supposed to. I have measured the handle of the supercharger want at temps over 180*F on occasion when my charge current gets automatically reduced.
Car went in to the service center yesterday. I did report Lusk and Madison to the Supercharger Team. Great People! Always on the ball! I will update and report back to see how it was resolved with my vehicle. It's hard to tell if it's my chargeport or the supercharger. Or might be a combination of both. I also noticed the Harris Ranch cables looking like your pictured, just not as bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you find one damaged, please tape it off or otherwise try to label it so someone else doesn't fall victim. It's doubtful Tesla can get to it very fast.
I disagree. They are very very fast, especially with safety issues.
Example, sinkhole started forming at the Madison Supercharger under 1A. Called on a Sunday Night, LATE. Maybe 11pm. Drove back through EARLY Tuesday morning, it had already been excavated, concreted in and coned off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. They are very very fast, especially with safety issues.
Example, sinkhole started forming at the Madison Supercharger under 1A. Called on a Sunday Night, LATE. Maybe 11pm. Drove back through EARLY Tuesday morning, it had already been excavated, concreted in and coned off.
Ok, they may be fast, but it's still possible that someone could pull in after you and receive damage, so let's agree that marking the damaged port is a good idea, ok?

Ok, they may be fast, but it's still possible that someone could pull in after you and receive damage, so let's agree that marking the damaged port is a good idea, ok?
Oh of course, I was not disagreeing with that. Wisconsin is a bit different, our stations are not heavily utilized, rare we see another car charging :) Accept at Madison, as that's the east west hub yet at the moment, mostly un-skippable and only 3 stalls....