Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meeting other Model S owners on the road - do you wave?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only seen on other MS and that was at the Tesla SC in Delaware. They waved and I waved back. Other than that there aren't very many MS' in the VA area so sightings are very rare. This is made even more obvious by the fact that I get a ridiculous amount of Tesla Time per week. I just had a guy in a AMG CLS63 talk to me in traffic while commuting to work and he asked about the car.

I've gotten pretty good at reciting the "Tesla gospel" quickly.

I have only seen one Tesla while driving mine, and it was when I was driving in VT in my Roadster and unexpectedly passed a Roadster going the other way. I waved, he didn't. I wondered if he just didn't see me/recognize me because he just wasn't expecting to pass another Roadster in Vermont. I just learned there is another Model S that just arrived nearby, but I bet my wife would drive hers past it and not notice as noticing other cars is just not her forte!

I wave more often than not and always wave if someone waves at me. The other day I was following a signature S and stopped behind it at a stoplight. There was a young child in the back seat, probably 10 or so, who started to wave at me and gave me the thumbs up. I'm pretty sure the mom driving alerted him that a Tesla S was following them. I immediately did the same back and put a smile on my face. How does someone not wave back when something like this happens?

So far the only other Model S's I have seen have been at the Service Center in Boston. There do not seem to be too many in NH yet. Ours was the first one registered for our town. However, I would definitely wave if I noticed you! Our children sit in the rear seats and they wave to everyone they see so maybe they can pick up my slack.

In the 3 months I've had my Model S, I've passed 5 other Model S's. To me, it seems natural to wave at the other driver; we have a relatively rare car, and I believe (hope) that most people bought the car for the same reason. Thus, I feel there should be some kind of community around the Model S. That said, my 5 waves have produced two last second (seemingly) grumpy responses. The other three people (all in Seattle BTW) have not waved at all. In each case, I am certain they saw my car with plenty of time to make a response, but chose not to.

This makes me somewhat sad. I used to love driving in my friends VW bug when I was in college, with every other bug owner waving back - it really seemed that there was a community around that car. I was hoping (expecting) the Model S would be similar.

So....question for the forum:

Do you wave if you see another model S on the road?

You may have experienced what they call "the Seattle freeze". It is an odd and relatively new social phenomenon we have experienced along with our tremendous population growth, construction distorientation, loss of communities and traffic stress. It could be the Seattle darkness. Seattle is a bi-polar town. Once the sun comes out everyone will be hanging out the windows or panos and get all giddy.

I haven't been able to see the person inside an oncoming Model S. I'll do a quick turn signal wink if I see you soon enough.