Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mechanical issues/reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A second owner I am aware of reported 14.5k miles. My personal belief is that Yoko quality as it impacts treadlife/teradwear is very inconsistent across production batches. ( Although drastic differences in driver behaviour will have a huge effect too (obviously) ... along with road conditions and Roadster alignment variations. )
Info from a third owner is that (being the same driver/pattern) his first batch lasted 15k, second only 5k (!). (If it was reversed I could surmise he was having too much fun when he first got his car, then slowed down. But the treadwear inexplicably shows the reverse.)

Other factors that might impact tire wear (by changing the amount of friction between the road and the tire):
- Road material (concrete versus asphalt)
- Temperature: it affects the flexibility of the rubber
- Dry versus wet roads
- Road quality: smooth surface versus bumpy / pot holed
- Driving on mostly strait roads versus twisties
- Load carried by the tires, i.e. driver and passenger weight
- Tire pressure

I wonder if we could correlate energy use per mile with tire wear...

Greetings,
David

My car has just completed repair in the battery management system. There's a BMB (balancing and monitoring board) for each sheet in the battery, so there are 11 of them. Well, 3 of them had gone bad in my battery. Tesla replaced all 3, and one of the new ones wouldn't program, so they had to get another new one shipped from CA and installed before I could get my car back.

Symptom: After a full standard charge, my ideal miles only read 158.

When they pulled the logs they saw that the battery was out of balance by 14% and getting worse. If I had not said anything and let it go, it would have continued to get worse. I didn't ask what would have happened if left unfixed.

I was told these BMBs are a common problem. I haven't heard anyone else report this. Anyone?

Note: This is my second battery. I had a complete replacement early after purchase in due to a bad moisture sensor in the battery pack itself, a day one problem upon receipt of my car. So this is a reburbished battery that had these bad BMBs.

Note #2: I received one of the very first 2010 Roadster Sport cars. Not sure if that made a difference with the issues I've seen.

I've had a new minor problem with my 2010 that's caused me to have to stop at the gas pumps much more often!

The windshield washer stopped working. :wink:

Tesla's ordered a new pump, and I'm waiting for it now.

I've had some AC problems which wouldn't be a huge deal were it not for the fact that the AC is used when the car is charging... The main problem appears to be that the stores have very few parts so anything that goes wrong requires them ordering a new part while you wait. It's only been a minor hassle so far but if more things go wrong this could become a problem.

Mine just got back and had to have one sheet replaced, but not due to the battery management boards, but one of the cells was at the top of the nominal range for voltage. I was getting 192 ideal range on a normal charge, it's just charging up now for the first time after having the sheet replaced - I don't expect much difference.

Also got new tires (had the performance tires, went for the 'regular' - they sure are quieter, but I've noticed the traction control kicking in slightly more often), had the driver side door tweaked (shuts a bit more nicely now, and the window goes all the way flush).

Compared to the 911, it sure seems a heckuva lot more reliable, and the cost of the service - accounting properly for the tires - was a bunch cheaper. I'm certainly happy.