Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was pretty lame if Tesla didn't design MCU2 to easily replace MCU1. This part is known to fail frequently enough. I don't want to replace my failed unit with an MCU1. Besides it would make sense to just manufacture MCU2 units for new cars and for replacement parts. If not, they should at least build the MCU1 replacement part with a faster processor. How hard can it be?

It would be pretty lame if Tesla totally butchered the MS/MX user interface and removed many features used by most people and replaced it with something almost universally despised and significantly less safe.

But guess what they did anyway?

You forgot to add that it's YOUR opinion.
I on the other hand couldn't disagree more. The UX for v9 is MUCH better than the ancient v8 in my opinion ;).
Still can't get my head around all the negative posts about v9. thought the Tesla crowd was forward thinking, but seems more like people think everything was better before on most cases :)

Regarding MUC-upgrades. Not sure it's worth it based on that MCU1 is decent already and get the job done. MCU2 is at least not 5k better

There's nothing wrong with advancing the user interface... but there is a problem when they remove significant features and usability and safety and don't give users a choice which features to turn on or off. Pretty arrogant and draconian if you ask me. Not liking these changes and being forward thinking are not mutually exclusive. But this is being hashed out in the other threads. I only brought it up above as an example of Tesla doing something pretty lame. Which is not the first, nor will it be the last time.

There's nothing wrong with advancing the user interface... but there is a problem when they remove significant features and usability and safety and don't give users a choice which features to turn on or off. Pretty arrogant and draconian if you ask me. Not liking these changes and being forward thinking are not mutually exclusive. But this is being hashed out in the other threads. I only brought it up above as an example of Tesla doing something pretty lame. Which is not the first, nor will it be the last time.

My wife is still waiting on those lighted vanity mirrors that were going to be given to all as a free upgrade once they solidified the design.... Hopefully, APH3 will go better then the lighted vanity mirrors

I suspect @wk057 will have a MCU2 retrofit before Tesla if we are starting to make bets. Just like the battery upgrades....

You forgot to add that it's YOUR opinion.
I on the other hand couldn't disagree more. The UX for v9 is MUCH better than the ancient v8 in my opinion ;).
Still can't get my head around all the negative posts about v9. thought the Tesla crowd was forward thinking, but seems more like people think everything was better before on most cases :)

Regarding MUC-upgrades. Not sure it's worth it based on that MCU1 is decent already and get the job done. MCU2 is at least not 5k better
And, as you point out, that is YOUR opinion. But, as you also point out, the majority of people here seem not to like it, so that would put you in the minority. It seems you value the new skinning and don't miss the previous functionality. Personally I wouldn't have missed if they removed summon completely (always disabled in both our cars). That said however, just because I personally wouldn't miss it, doesn't mean I would think it's the right thing for Tesla to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Mobile service will be switching out the display, not the entire MCU. was told 90 min install job.
My X developed yellow border for the second time and a mobile technician brought a brand new MCU/LCD assembly, took out my MCU/LCD, swapped LCD from the unit he brought and put back my old MCU with the replaced LCD in about 60 min. Swapping units does not take that long. I was told configuring a new MCU takes much longer than physical install.

My X developed yellow border for the second time and a mobile technician brought a brand new MCU/LCD assembly, took out my MCU/LCD, swapped LCD from the unit he brought and put back my old MCU with the replaced LCD in about 60 min. Swapping units does not take that long. I was told configuring a new MCU takes much longer than physical install.
In the same boat here, just noticed yellow border coming back after getting a replacement a few months back. Wondering if I'm just going to keep doing this annually.

They are "restricted parts" only authorized bodyshops could buy them.

Yes, as I expected. So we're back to grey market parts ("fell off a truck") or waiting for salvage car parts to hit the market. Again, at what cost for both the MCU and IC, plus shipping and installation? I still don't see many people paying $3k or more for parts+installation unless they can get the parts and installation without margin or markup.

And I'd still like to see the first person to actually retrofit an MCU2 unit.

Yes, as I expected. So we're back to grey market parts ("fell off a truck") or waiting for salvage car parts to hit the market. Again, at what cost for both the MCU and IC, plus shipping and installation? I still don't see many people paying $3k or more for parts+installation unless they can get the parts and installation without margin or markup.

And I'd still like to see the first person to actually retrofit an MCU2 unit.
I don't think most people would do it just to get a quicker UI. I'm totally fine with my MCU1, but if it ever needs to be replaced it would be nice to upgrade it.