Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe this is why we can't store music on the hard drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok this is probably really stupid of me to argue with a lawyer but.....common sense says it does make a difference since the case is about the ability to rip CDs to the vehicle hard drive; you can't do that in a Tesla because it doesn't have a CD drive.

(I might regret posting this....)

Hey Nigel,

I'm not a lawyer, by the way (even if I'm in court rooms all the time).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with you on that though. Tesla isn't providing the means to rip the music, just a place to store it and a way to access it.

"Ripping" means exactly that. I know that I shouldn't use Wikipedia as a reference, but I am a professor of computer science and I agree with the definition there:

Ripping is the process of copying audio or video content to a hard disk, typically from removable media such as compact disc (CD) or DVD, although the word refers to all forms of media. Despite the name, neither the media nor the data is damaged after extraction. Ripping is often used to shift formats, and to edit, duplicate or back up media content.

Hey Nigel,

I'm not a lawyer, by the way (even if I'm in court rooms all the time).

- - - Updated - - -

"Ripping" means exactly that. I know that I shouldn't use Wikipedia as a reference, but I am a professor of computer science and I agree with the definition there:

Ripping is the process of copying audio or video content to a hard disk, typically from removable media such as compact disc (CD) or DVD, although the word refers to all forms of media. Despite the name, neither the media nor the data is damaged after extraction. Ripping is often used to shift formats, and to edit, duplicate or back up media content.

Then why is it not illegal to sell (empty) MP3-players with flash memory? The user could "rip" copyrighted material from his/her computer on to the player.

Problem is that pen and paper should be illegal also with that definition; I could easily use pen and paper to copy media (e.g. Lyrics I'm listening to).

Then why is it not illegal to sell (empty) MP3-players with flash memory? The user could "rip" copyrighted material from his/her computer on to the player.

I'm not agreeing with the filers of the lawsuit, and I don't claim that "ripping" is illegal. I'm just supposing that Tesla's lawyers are reactive. I suggest reading the article I posted, and the Wikipedia article linked from that article that explains the law (from 1992). It explains specifically why MP3 players are exempted.

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is that pen and paper should be illegal also with that definition; I could easily use pen and paper to copy media (e.g. Lyrics I'm listening to).

The law only covers digital recording of music.