Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe I’m overreacting?! 😱 [first curb rash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess you are forgetting that it's a choice to open a car door and with that comes a responsibility to control that door. Maybe one day all vehicles will be auto opening with sensors to prevent them from hitting other things, like the rear doors on the Model X, but until them we are always responsible in controlling where we park and how we open a car door.

Yeah, I do agree with you. My last car had 2 dings on the front passenger door, both at the exact same height a few inches apart and without any paint markings. Didn't know how either of them got there.

One day I went out to lunch with a coworker (he drove) and when we got back to work, he threw his door fully open with complete carelessness. Same color car as mine. Only a handful of employees at that company. Mystery solved.

Doing that once I could even understand, but the second time? Much harder for me to wrap my head around. We were friends. We still *are* friends. I believe in personal responsibility, but also in forgiveness.

Reactions: easyev and Resist
Guys, sorry to not reply to a few of you It’s been a busy week. Can anyone confirm if I buy a set of 18s that the car can be set up with those or do I just choose 19 in the set up? With the MS you can choose 19 or 21 I’m not sure what the Y does. Or should I just get a 19 winter package to be safe?

Update: My son smacked the same wheel into a curb the following day. The good news is, it’s the same wheel to fix. :) the bad news is he has no remorse and said it was an accident. I don’t understand this thinking.

Reactions: Joesmoe3 and Resist
Two curbings. So your son is responsible for 50% of the cost.

Technically, is that how the math works? If I have existing damage on my from bumper, and someone backs into me and crushes that bumper, do they only owe for a portion of the replacement bumper?

I think your son owes you for 100% of the rim, plus emotional damages. 😂

And almost as quickly as you can replace that rim, you'll hit the curb again. 😜

I only show one damaged rim in my Lasfit reviews photos, but I'm pretty certain all of my rims have multiple curb rashes.

All Tesla's are easy to curb, it's not just a Model Y thing. This is because Tesla insists on using wheel setups where the rim sticks out as much as the tire. With most vehicles the tire sticks out more than the rims, so they are protected in most situations. The only way around this is to get a different wheel set.
I'm glad to hear Teslas are easy to curb. I "hit" the curb on my very first day of ownership, then two more times in my two years of ownership. I had only one episode of hitting the curb in all my years of driving (35+) before that. I guess one might say it's my "old age", but I think 3 times in 2 years as compared to 1 time in over 35 years is a bit suspect, especially since I have had no other driving incidences in these last 2 years.

Reactions: easyev and Resist
Guys, sorry to not reply to a few of you It’s been a busy week. Can anyone confirm if I buy a set of 18s that the car can be set up with those or do I just choose 19 in the set up? With the MS you can choose 19 or 21 I’m not sure what the Y does. Or should I just get a 19 winter package to be safe?

Update: My son smacked the same wheel into a curb the following day. The good news is, it’s the same wheel to fix. :) the bad news is he has no remorse and said it was an accident. I don’t understand this thinking.

I've raised 9 kids and if one of mine did that they would either pay to have it fixed or never drive my Tesla again. Kids need to learn personal accountability.
Personally I wouldn't let them drive a Tesla as teenagers just because of the insane speed.

@easyev - I recently got a set of Lasfit wheel covers to replace my aero caps... they hide 100% of the curb rash.

These look great, but they’re probably about the same price as repairing the wheel. Then don’t you worry about replacing these things when they get marked up? 😀 Yes sure definitely a lot easier and cheaper to replace a plastic disc so maybe you’re right about this.

So this happened 50 years ago? Back then car doors weighed like 250 lbs, so maybe it was an accident. We're lucky there wasn't a child in the way; I can imagine a spring loaded Plymouth fury door launching little Johnny into the next parking lot.
I’m looking for the post that turned my curb rash post into door dings and my thread went to hell in a handbasket. 😂 Maybe it was this one or maybe a previous post?!

• Funny
Reactions: Resist
I'm glad to hear Teslas are easy to curb. I "hit" the curb on my very first day of ownership, then two more times in my two years of ownership. I had only one episode of hitting the curb in all my years of driving (35+) before that. I guess one might say it's my "old age", but I think 3 times in 2 years as compared to 1 time in over 35 years is a bit suspect, especially since I have had no other driving incidences in these last 2 years.
I’m looking at 2010 Prius for my son with 15” wheels
That's why I don't buy new cars. But your frustration is understandable. It's good to keep everything pristine. The trade off is the continues worrying.
I agree, and all my other cars have been used. The model Y was the first time it was cheaper to buy new. With a $5000 government rebate and two referral fees (I don’t know how that happened) they took $6250 off the new car price which was cheaper than all of the used ones I was looking at, and at least one or two model years newer. Yes I still had to pay delivery and prep fee, but it was still considerably less

Reactions: Resist
(moderator note)

I removed a bunch of posts here about what basically amounts to vigilante justice. Both the original response and replies that quoted it or continued the discussion were removed. We are not going down glorifying that here, sorry.

I left the discussion on frustration on door dings, people swinging open doors, as thats fine, but the other part of that discussion, wasnt.

I have been fixing our own curb rash for 2 years. Granted...not one of them has been so bad the the rim edge is actually ground down to a flat spot. I use some small files, then wet sand with 220, and then 400. I mix two different metallic spray can colors, brush it on. Can't see it from from 1" away. Wife can't find the spots.
Nice going! do you have any pictures?

I’m looking at 2010 Prius for my son with 15” wheels

I agree, and all my other cars have been used. The model Y was the first time it was cheaper to buy new. With a $5000 government rebate and two referral fees (I don’t know how that happened) they took $6250 off the new car price which was cheaper than all of the used ones I was looking at, and at least one or two model years newer. Yes I still had to pay delivery and prep fee, but it was still considerably less
I got the older Prius for my son this is what curb protection looks like!

IMG_8019.jpeg