Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a Model Y - some Q’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you misunderstood what I said. Take your current vehicle to automotive dealership other than Tesla. (Honda, Ford, Dodge) and see what they will give you for your current vehicle. I'm willing to bet it'll be a fair amount more than what the Tesla dealership will give you.
You’re right I misunderstood you. I wonder if it would be different than the offers you get through AutoTrader…they connect you with dealers. Those offers were quite a bit lower than what I got for my Tesla at a smaller dealer I got Plaid from.

just got home with my new LR. Massive storms so can’t go out and play.

It is a great car. Compared to model 3 way more solid, quiet, etc…. Initial build quality is very good not one panel to complain about.
Congratulations on your Y 🙌 it sounds great! I know I hear you… didn’t drive my car for most of the week which is part with work and family things which didn’t include my car. Not good! My wife keeps question why I want to go out for a drive?! How do you explain that to someone?!

Reactions: pipestem
There are differences as well, you can try to google. Tesla does not have a thing like a "model year". They can make changes to the car in the middle of the year.

For example, I bought mine in August 2022, and just one month after, Tesla redesigned the door covers, similar to Model 3 with a wood trim.
Also Model Y's of 2022 have slight differences either it's Austin build or Fremont build. Cars from Austin had the parcel shelf, while Fremont build began to add it much later in the year. Also, some of the late-year Fremont 2022 Model Y's Long Range have matrix headlights. It was temporarily, probably because of the shortage of regular LED headlights.
In 2021 Tesla switched to li-ion low voltage batteries, so some of the early 2021 models may have led-acid batteries which require a replacement on average every 3-4 years.
Thanks for this good info 👍

Reactions: Art84
I ride my MYP around in sport mode all the time, to take advantage of the acceleration and tighter steering. Admittedly, there is some stiffness on bumpy roads, but nothing crazy. IMO, the performance boost far outweighs a marshmallow ride.

That all said, if you can swing the move up to an X, I’d do it. A much nicer car in terms of interior, ride, size, etc.
“Marshmallow ride” hahaha I agree! Running out of time will reply later!

Congratulations on your Y 🙌 it sounds great! I know I hear you… didn’t drive my car for most of the week which is part with work and family things which didn’t include my car. Not good! My wife keeps question why I want to go out for a drive?! How do you explain that to someone?!
thats 'easy' - oh I need to go the hardware store. sorry, they didn't have that in stock, I needed to go to that other store 50 miles away, oops... :)

• Funny
Reactions: easyev
“Marshmallow ride” hahaha I agree! Running out of time will reply later!
I won’t drive 5 miles to a hardware store, order on line and it’s here tomorrow. I‘ve ever purchased plants on line and had them delivered in the peak of a heat wave.
I think you missed the point of our conversation. We are talking excuses to go for long drives not the convenience of ordering online 😉

Reactions: 455dan and pipestem
First, you want a performance boost for your son ? hahaha. I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near that.

Second, between Carmax, Carvana, and KBB you have some decent options. I sold my 1st model 3 through KBB - 3 dealers contacted me and each offered good money. I have also sold to Carvana, it was way better than Craigslist, which I have only used for low cost first driver cars and visiting postdocs.

Third, don't forget the tax credict which you forgo on any newish used Tesla.
For whatever its worth... using too much of Tesla's extraordinary acceleration on a California freeway can arose the competitive spirit of a person with a gun.

• Informative
I have to add one thing. I drove my wife's model 3 around the lake - totally necessary you know - and man that drives so nice. I like my model Y with the relaxed ride and all that space which I've used but ---- man that model 3 drives nice. sigh.

I have to add one thing. I drove my wife's model 3 around the lake - totally necessary you know - and man that drives so nice. I like my model Y with the relaxed ride and all that space which I've used but ---- man that model 3 drives nice. sigh.
I said the same thing about my wife’s new Y. I swear if I had tried this before the plaid, I would’ve got the performance version skipped my car. I know it’s really not the same thing, but the extra power must be a blast in that thing! But the LR AWD is a beautiful, sporty, spacious tight little machine! I haven’t tried the three, but I can only imagine it’s another level of sportiness and fun!

Very true, other than starting booting up the car the brake pedal is used when something unexpected happens. One pedal driving is very nice once you get used to it.
I agree, I love One pedal driving, I never really noticed it working until I started looking at the Taycan, then started appreciating it. What a great feature. I had a co-worker drive my wife's Y and he seemed perturbed at the OPD, I don't know why. I never really noticed it, he went on and on about it. Different strokes for different folks?

I agree, I love One pedal driving, I never really noticed it working until I started looking at the Taycan, then started appreciating it. What a great feature. I had a co-worker drive my wife's Y and he seemed perturbed at the OPD, I don't know why. I never really noticed it, he went on and on about it. Different strokes for different folks?
It just takes time to adjust to OPD. Everyone I’ve known who didn’t like it at first eventually converted to loving it.

I just noticed my message in active threads or something on the left, and thought I'd wrap this thread up and tell you how happy I am with this purchase.

We ended up ordering a 23 Model Y Long Range with white interior, 20" wheels, painted in grey metallic. It's been a great car so far, we're really enjoying it. To be honest it's such a great car if I had of tried it and the performance model before I bought my Plaid, I would have skipped the Model S and got the Performance Y. I know it's not a Plaid, but honestly that crazy acceleration is a one-trick-pony at times. It's ridiculous, scary, and most of the time, not needed. I guess that's why so many buy the Long Range version. Anyhow, back to the Y. It's really easy to get into and out of, the seats are comfortable, the interior space is impressive for family road trips, the range is perfect, and the acceleration is definitely impressive!

(keep in mind I'm comparing it to the new S as I've driven them back to back)
Pros 🟢

🟢Looks great!
🟢Lots of range
🟢Comfortable seats
🟢Lots of space
🟢Easy to park
🟢Autopark is a blast, love it
🟢Sound system is GREAT!
🟢regular horn button
🟢FSD 12.3 is AMAZING, I'm going to miss it this it on the 28th!

Cons 🔴

🔴crazy wipers have a mind of their own
🔴center-only screen - it's always nagging/warning me on self drive, even when I'm looking at range or switching drive modes, way too sensitive!
🔴seats seem a bit too bulbous, too much padding? But again they are comfortable, so this is a nitpick
🔴Turn stalks! They often need TWO actuations for some reason, the first pull often doesn't do anything❓
🔴Turn stalks feel OLD, I much prefer on-screen swiping and auto gear selection of the S and the new Model 3. Turn buttons are quick and nice for me.
🔴Power right off line feels limited, I prefer a hard punch out of gate like my old Model S P85DL+, it just hammers off the line. Yes I know it was 2.8 0-60, and this is 4.5, so obviously a difference between the 681HP of old S and 400 of this one. (I don't think the old one got that much power out of the battery, but it sure felt it)

I'm thinking about getting the Performance Y but with the M3 Performance "Highland" coming this year which will trickle down the Y, ummm, 600HP= insanity in a 2025 Model Y Performance "Juniper?" so I'm trying to wait.

Reactions: Peter N
fun path, think there are very few former Plaid owners now in a MY anything
I agree on all of your green points, for your red points:
-wipers will improve with an OTA update, think its deprioritized behind SFSD code dev
-there are aftermarket, but like me, never having a T with a over the column display, therefore dont miss it, think it will go out of your system
-I find the seats work best if you have the small of your back all the way to the seat back corner and a leather neck pillow, good quality
-Stalks, again your experience coming from a newer gen vehicle, yes Juniper might be best for you in this regard
-for your fix, get the boost added to the LR or go for the Juniper Ludicrous which might be released way after the refresh comes out
enjoy

• Love
If you press the stalk too fast it doesn't register. You heed to press slowly or hold it for just a split second. It's very f'ing annoying.
So true. It’s still tripping me up. Model S buttons took me a few days to get used to but they are quick and positive. I hope the juniper update gets S-quality buttons not highland’s switches, they don’t feel that great to me, at least on the couple of demos I’ve driven.